User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

State title for vehicle classified section

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default State title for vehicle classified section

Am in the process of looking for a new car and was looking through the classifieds and thought it might be helpful to a lot of members in there was a title heading for what state the car is located in along with title, year, make, model, price, etc. to make looking through the posts easier.
I know a lot of people have cars shipped now a days but I also know there are a lot of guys like me who prefer to actually see the car in person and make sure it is in good condition. So for example im in NC so I wouldn't mind driving to SC or VA for a car, but probable wouldn't even consider a car in CA due to the distance.

I know there are regional classifieds but those don't seem to have the same traffic as the "vehicle classifieds" section.

I have no idea what all would be involved in making this change (maybe a drop down list with state abbreviations so it wouldn't take up too much space, so its just 2 letters instead of town,state, etc). Just though I would throw it out there as it would make looking for a car a lot easier so you don't have to click all the ads and read through it looking for a location just to find out that it is on the other side of the country.

And I just noticed that nobody really uses the color title space and usually put the color under the thread/thread starter space, so maybe the color title could be replaced by state.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I understand your suggestion to have the fields in the thread title for ease of spotting, however, it's probably a lot easier to use the Search box to limit seeing only listings based on your search criteria?

Do you see the Search box when viewing the Classifieds, as shown in the attachment below:

As far as the color column not being used, the data is actually used but it appears there is a bug preventing it from displaying in the Color column of the index. We'll look into that.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails State title for vehicle classified section-ls1techsearchmarketplace.jpg  

Last edited by JeremyT; 07-18-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

I'll be sure to check out the search box, I must have scrolled by it and its been a few years since I've looked for a new car so Im assuming that its a fairly new feature. And its not like its a big deal to scroll through the ads and its nice to see some of the cars that people have regardless of where it's it. And not really complaining as I really enjoy this site it was just a friendly suggestion of something that I felt would help people out.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that having a regional search would be nice....putting in say "Wisconsin" or "WI" might show results in wisconsin, and might not, depending on what the OP provides. Plus, that does not allow for people who put in "Illinois", "Minnesota", etc....is it possible to maybe copy posts from "Vehicle Classifieds" to "Regional Classifieds" depending on what state the OP puts?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I may be misunderstanding you as I don't understand the issue raised?

When a member creates a new Classifieds ad, they are able to select, from a pre-populated box, their state (location). This is shown below:

For those who are browsing, you would use the search box (posted in my previous response) to narrow down results. Notice that you are given the very same pre-populated entires for the state (location) as the one used by the member who created the ad. So there should be no "IL", "Illinois", etc., variances as both poster and browser will use the very same pre-populated state (location) entries.

I think the original poster was raising the question about adding those prefixes (IL, IA, CA, etc.,) to display next to the rest of the information when browsing the index of the Classifieds so it's easier to spot where the vehicle is without having to open the thread and read what the location/state that was selected by the ad creator. That suggestion can be done, and is being considered. The issue is there some screen space issues as-is and the exterior color field, while currently not displaying, is a valid field that will be fixed.

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I agree that having a regional search would be nice....putting in say "Wisconsin" or "WI" might show results in wisconsin, and might not, depending on what the OP provides. Plus, that does not allow for people who put in "Illinois", "Minnesota", etc....is it possible to maybe copy posts from "Vehicle Classifieds" to "Regional Classifieds" depending on what state the OP puts?
Attached Thumbnails State title for vehicle classified section-ls1techmarketplacefieldsad.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never listed a vehicle, I didn't know you had to select your state. I just meant that it would help weed out where vehicles were located if the regional classified sections automatically contained vehicles that were for sale in their respective states, ie., midwest vehicle classifieds automatically contained any vehicle that was listed for sale in the vehicle classifieds from the states of "IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK", or maybe if you could search "midwest" in the vehicle classified's section to automatically show all listings from those states, instead of listing each state you want to see.....maybe it's stupid, but it would be useful to me.

Sorry for the confusion however, and hopefully this is clearer. Thanks for letting me know more about how it works as is, it's good to know.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like the idea of using pre-populated boxes to fill out title information. Maybe something like State, Year, Vehicle, Engine, Trans, Miles, Color or something along those lines. For example if I posted my car for sale it would read

MI, 2000, Camaro, V8, MT, 118k, Maroon

It would make scanning the classifieds much easier.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JeremyT
I think the original poster was raising the question about adding those prefixes (IL, IA, CA, etc.,) to display next to the rest of the information when browsing the index of the Classifieds so it's easier to spot where the vehicle is without having to open the thread and read what the location/state that was selected by the ad creator. That suggestion can be done, and is being considered. The issue is there some screen space issues as-is and the exterior color field, while currently not displaying, is a valid field that will be fixed.
That is exactly what I was talking about. And the main reasoning was that when browsing the classifieds I can just browse them and if something is a little further then I would want to travel but is a good deal I can still see it or just ignore it if its on the other side of the country. But I understand about the space constant. In a perfect all the key basic information could be listed so that people can see it before clicking on the ad, but there is just not space for everything.