Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

WTF is wrong with my car now

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is wrong with my car now

So for awhile there I thought that she was mad at me cause I wasnt driving her that much. Well I got rid of the bike and started driving her more. Now for the list....

1. Sometimes when its hot out just wont start. Have power radio light come on etc... Turn of the key and nothing.. Not even a click,click,click. Replaced battery. Unhook the battery and let the cpu reset and its fine,.

2. Sometimes when I am driving and its hot out the amp meter goes way below charging. Had the alt. checked and that was fine.

3. Yesterday was acting like it wasnt getting any fuel while trying to start. going to change the fuel filter first.

So any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattyboy80
So for awhile there I thought that she was mad at me cause I wasnt driving her that much. Well I got rid of the bike and started driving her more. Now for the list....

1. Sometimes when its hot out just wont start. Have power radio light come on etc... Turn of the key and nothing.. Not even a click,click,click. Replaced battery. Unhook the battery and let the cpu reset and its fine,.

2. Sometimes when I am driving and its hot out the amp meter goes way below charging. Had the alt. checked and that was fine.

3. Yesterday was acting like it wasnt getting any fuel while trying to start. going to change the fuel filter first.

So any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
What Year?? M6 or A4?? Mods?? Etc... all the good stuff...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

That would be good huh? 02 A4 WS6. The mods are just lt's borla exhaust, lid, filter.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere.
X2 bad ground ^
Old 07-18-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bad ground, possibly a bad wire. Check around the fuse boxes for loose wires or corrosion.

As for the fuel, change the filter first. While you are under there check for evidence of small leaks on the metal lines. Are you letting it prime first? When you turn the key on to the run position you should be able to hear the pump prime, if you turn it right to start it hasnt primed and probably wont start quickly.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the wires along the passenger side by the headers. Especially if you have long tubes. There is a set of wires that runs down kinda from the ecu, down towards the starter, those often get loose and get cooked. Sometimes the wrap doesnt look all that bad, but the wires are fried inside. Worth a look.

Sounds like it could also be the beginning of your pump going out... but id check the wiring first. Has it ever been replaced?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Staging Lane

So here is the scoop now. Changed everything except the pump. Its getting fuel. Thinkin some kinda spark issue. But why would it do it just randomly and not all of the time? Now sometime when I go to start it you can hear the fuel pump turn on and get fuel out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could replace your coil packs or even better, start with your wires. I forget if youve changed them, but sometimes its hard to get the wires clipped all the way onto the plug.

Im wondering if theres a flakey coil pack that is preventing it from turning the engine over, but once started is running fine.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I did the wires when i did the headers. As for the coil packs i dont think one bad one would do it
Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

was your car in the rain or did you wash under the hood? i washed under my hood once and i guess a tiny bit of corrosion came between the ground for my line lock and the car, and it wouldn't work, until i cleaned it up with a little sand paper. totally different situation than you but my point is the ground connection looked fine from what i could tell, but the sanding must of cleaned something up.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Random really leads me to believe a ground as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Yes Very random. Only does it sometimes. The other thing stopped after I changed the battery. Now it just turns over sometimes and doesnt does start. Thinking its a spark issue somewhere. After screaming and praying to the car gods it finally starts. I have been checking the grounds where is the line lock located? Dont think that I have ran across that yet
Old 08-03-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mattyboy80
Yes Very random. Only does it sometimes. The other thing stopped after I changed the battery. Now it just turns over sometimes and doesnt does start. Thinking its a spark issue somewhere. After screaming and praying to the car gods it finally starts. I have been checking the grounds where is the line lock located? Dont think that I have ran across that yet
well you won't have a line lock unless you put it in, i was just giving an example on how a ground connection could look fine, but really be bad.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hlaalu
well you won't have a line lock unless you put it in, i was just giving an example on how a ground connection could look fine, but really be bad.
Yeah Im begging to think that it is a ground. It only does it when its Hot. Does anyone know where the main grounds are? I think that might be worth lookin at first.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

well theres an engine ground on the bottom on the drivers side. Ill take a look at it when i see you next. I was going to look at it yesterday but i got distracted and forgot.

dont worry about it now, you gotta be with your family right now. we will figure out your car issues later.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man
Old 08-05-2009, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In case it helps, usualy when a starter is going bad (solenoid) it wont start when its hot, not even make noise. Its happened to me a couple times. Just in case you run out of things to check. Good luck.

Quick Reply: WTF is wrong with my car now