Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Who still has faith in Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who still has faith in Toyota?

I'm sure you have all heard and seen the news on Toyota's recalls and how their image of quality and reliability have been shaken. I was never really that big of a fan to begin with, but anyone who was, do you still have faith in them? Do you own one of the 8,500,000,000 Toyota's that have been recalled? Would you buy one after they have been "fixed"? I just wanted to chime in and get everyone's opinion on this. I have seen a lot about it, but no one seems to be talking about it.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Finally my chance to vent....
I needed a good mpg car that was fairly big cuz my work is 45 miles away. I wanted a Malibu over the camry but I knew resale value was better on the camry. So I bought one. Now the Malibu's resale value is $1000 over the camry. I hate Toyota. I hate FWD and now I hate myself!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Learned ur lesson eh? Go with what you like. Everything else will work itself out.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

toyota is ok by me... but i stick with nissan
Old 02-21-2010, 02:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Once the news finds something else to report no one will care about this recall. It sucks for the ones who lost family members but Toyota is not the first to sell a car with a deadly flaw. Ford had cars that caught fire in people's garages and GM had loose control arm nuts on Vetts. If it wasn't for the runflat tires people could of died. I had to replace several Vett rims that were cut in half by the lower control arm. Then they had the ejector roofs that would come off on the highway turning a hard top into a targa top. All car companies have recalls. This one is just being hyped up to put fear in the public. News writers need fear, Happiness dosen't sell.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
I'm sure you have all heard and seen the news on Toyota's recalls and how their image of quality and reliability have been shaken. I was never really that big of a fan to begin with, but anyone who was, do you still have faith in them? Do you own one of the 8,500,000,000 Toyota's that have been recalled? Would you buy one after they have been "fixed"? I just wanted to chime in and get everyone's opinion on this. I have seen a lot about it, but no one seems to be talking about it.
Didn't even know they turned out 8.5 billion cars.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle
Didn't even know they turned out 8.5 billion cars.
that's what I was just thinking...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

For the last 3 years I have been telling people Toyota quality is slipping and caught a lot hell about it. They built great stuff in the 90's and have been living on there name for years. The company is in BIG trouble now and massive rebates are the only way to get people back into there dealership.

Odumbo is stoked because this is a HUGE opportunity to take care of all the union favors that are owed.

Besides Corvette which I think might be in trouble since sales in the tank I still dont see anything from GM that is a must have!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Pretty much sums it up. I would buy a Toyota if needed a new car

Originally Posted by 98PurpleT/A
Once the news finds something else to report no one will care about this recall. It sucks for the ones who lost family members but Toyota is not the first to sell a car with a deadly flaw. Ford had cars that caught fire in people's garages and GM had loose control arm nuts on Vetts. If it wasn't for the runflat tires people could of died. I had to replace several Vett rims that were cut in half by the lower control arm. Then they had the ejector roofs that would come off on the highway turning a hard top into a targa top. All car companies have recalls. This one is just being hyped up to put fear in the public. News writers need fear, Happiness dosen't sell.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98PurpleT/A
Everything you just said is TRUE.....It almost seems like a witch hunt in an attempt to bolster the US Manufacture's......GM mainly. I would still buy a Toyota. It has NOTHING to do with a Japanese car company becaue most of them are built here creating jobs HERE!!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by m6ttop
Finally my chance to vent....
I needed a good mpg car that was fairly big cuz my work is 45 miles away. I wanted a Malibu over the camry but I knew resale value was better on the camry. So I bought one. Now the Malibu's resale value is $1000 over the camry. I hate Toyota. I hate FWD and now I hate myself!!!
Did you buy this car for its resale value??? I did not know that a new car was an investment, I am sorry to say this and I am not trying to disrespect you in any way. Many people think this way even when they have NO intention of selling their vehicle until its dead dead and done. At this time, most cars are not worth much anyways.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Toyota wanted to beat out GM and be #1 and were warned that quality could suffer. This could be a result of that goal. It's tuff being on top, you have the biggest bullseye.

I've worked for a company that wanted to be #1 in it's field at all costs and quality suffered but the goal was met reguardless in the short term but in the long run the owner lost both his companies as a result.....meaning he had to sell.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Launching!

prius will always be gay... and the fact that the president of toyota didn't want to come to the u.s. seems like bad publicity on his part... he even said he wasn't coming that his people could take care of it... come on now it might not bring the people that died back but at least show a little dignity and fly your *** over on your private jet and say "sorry" or we are fixing the problem
Old 02-21-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine still runs and I beat the **** outta it daily tho its from the 80s
Old 02-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Yea I have kinda noticed that Toyota has been kinda going downhill since 2000, but a lot of people have disagreed, believing that Toyota still builds cars like they did in the 80's and 90's.

One thing that you might want to thing about: Whenever a car company, import or domestic, has a car comercial, they always say that thier car is better, in some way, than either Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. They never mention Ford or GM. EVer notice that? I think that is because Ford and GM are on the rise again, and there really isn't anything better than those two. I may nt be a Ford guy, but they are making some REALLY good stuff these days. GM is also making REALLY good stuff as well.

For example: The Cobalt SS is faster than an STi and is $10k cheaper. For the price of a Tundra I-Force, you can have a Duramax. For the price of a fully loaded Tacoma, you can have a Colorado SS, which has leather and the 5.3L. AND we have the Volt coming out which will absolutley BLOW the Pruis out of the water!!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Still got faith in my 99 tacoma. This lil truck is a soldier for the stuff its been through and the way ive been beaten on it..lol. 240kmi and going going strong only thing replaced has been i think the starter.. But, I don't know about the about the newer cars and trucks they are producing considering the huge recalls.. I'd probably consider Honda over Toyota if I were looking for a fuel saver..
Old 02-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Ford and GM have a lot of great fuel savers for you too! the Cobalt gets 37 mpg hwy. Some have stated they get over 40 mpg! The Ford focus can get up to 35 mpg hwy. The Chevy Malibu is offered in a Hybrid and soon the Chevy Volt will be out as well as the new Ford Fiesta that is rated at 30 mpg city and 40 mpg hwy.

Honda's overratted civic cant compete with that.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Launching!

**** recently, I've been suffering the slings and arrows of know-nothing's who snubbed me for driving "crappy American cars", for a good 20+ years now. This is payback and I'm going to revel in every bit of it.

And I was about to buy a RAV4. Not because it was "a solid Japanese car and American cars suck", but because it was the best car I could get for the $$$ (re: cheaper than domestics), with the best capacity in class.

Looks like it's a Mazda CX7 or GMC Terrain for me, now.

Hopefully, the playing field can level and people can judge the actual cars versus some bullshit engrained prejudices.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOBA_VETT
**** recently, I've been suffering the slings and arrows of know-nothing's who snubbed me for driving "crappy American cars", for a good 20+ years now. This is payback and I'm going to revel in every bit of it.

And I was about to buy a RAV4. Not because it was "a solid Japanese car and American cars suck", but because it was the best car I could get for the $$$ (re: cheaper than domestics), with the best capacity in class.

Looks like it's a Mazda CX7 or GMC Terrain for me, now.

Hopefully, the playing field can level and people can judge the actual cars versus some bullshit engrained prejudices.
Couldnt have said it better myself!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All I have to say is that I love the **** storm that toyota is in. Every time I see one on the road I start yelling "get out of its way it might kill you!" I grew up around Ford and Honda. Hate honda, but I do respect fords trucks. The cars not so much since they are all mazda anyway. OK rant over.