Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Evo X driver loses his pride, and then his motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evo X driver loses his pride, and then his motor

So I was hanging out at me and my group of buddies favorite mexican restaurant. Suddenly an black Evo X shows up with a young kid driving it, probably between 18-20. He gets out and then goes and sits with a big group of guys that were already there. As our meal goes on, we over hear them talking about the Evo and how cool and fast it is, they are basically drooling over it.

So I finished eating before everyone else and was ready to go home. At this time I see the guy in the Evo go to his car to leave, so I decide to hop in my car to see if I can get him to run. I'm in my Camaro mind you, which is bone stock as can be..don't even have a lid. Sure enough I'm able to get next to him on the street. First we did a second gear roll from about 40mph all the way to about mid 4th gear. As soon as we took off I pulled about a half car on him and then slowly pulled farther away and finished about a car and a half in front of him at the middle of 4th when we slowed down. After this I think he was embarrased because he kept dodging in and out of traffic to escape the wrath of the engine touched by god.

But to his dismay, I was able to catch up to him once again at a red light. We took off again and of course he jumped out in front of me as I spun all through first and second (driving through stream of water just before the light didn't help). I was slowly starting to pull him back in when I hear a loud POPOPOP!!! And see flames and black smoke come out his exhaust. I pull beside him and hear his engine making a combination of grinding, whining, and whistling noises. He then preceeded to take the next possible left turn into a little neighborhood out of what I believe to be embarrassment (unless he happened to live there.)

Pretty sad for a practically brand new car. Just thought I'd share a funny story.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

So I guess that counts as two wins, lol.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sucks for the kid because insurance won't cover his engine after analyzing his pcm box lol.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow good job man, but that kid must not know when to shift, I am only speculating that he wasn't paying enough attention to his shifting and kept going past redline. Either that he really beat the **** out of it prior that race.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Wow good job man, but that kid must not know when to shift, I am only speculating that he wasn't paying enough attention to his shifting and kept going past redline. Either that he really beat the **** out of it prior that race.
If it was stock, I don't think that should be an issue. Most factory redlines are pretty conservative.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If it was stock, I don't think that should be an issue. Most factory redlines are pretty conservative.
True but then why else would the motor decide to grenade like that? Or he just got a lemon.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
True but then why else would the motor decide to grenade like that?
It's an import. Nuff said
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Video or it didn't happen...

nah i'm jk LOL First time i've heard of one blowing the engine tho. Good Story
Old 09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Launching!

it might be it was so new that he didnt even have a few hundred miles on it to break it in and then was on the red line the whole time and then blew up. Or he was an idiot and put 87 oct from econo gas vs the already shitty cali 91.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
Video or it didn't happen...

nah i'm jk LOL First time i've heard of one blowing the engine tho. Good Story
Lol I couldnt believe it either. First of all I thought he would have pulled harder and beat me..I thought those things were supposed to be mid to low 12 second cars? I mean I beat one in my old blue '98 Z28 but that car had full bolt-ons. And I was in shock when his car fucked up, I wasn't expecting that at all..but I must admit I was laughing pretty hard after the whole thing.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice kill lol !! sometimes influencing the young kids with the "fast" cars and some type of pressure isnt a good combination lol ooh well at least now he knows what gm is all about
Old 09-30-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Turbo cars pop like that. He probably misshifted and couldnt get it in gear!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by m6ttop
+1 on the misshift
Nice kill story btw
Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haighter
it might be it was so new that he didnt even have a few hundred miles on it to break it in and then was on the red line the whole time and then blew up. Or he was an idiot and put 87 oct from econo gas vs the already shitty cali 91.
This could be it as well, the turbo popping yes, but the metallic noise afterwards i know for a fact is not a turbo car normal noise. It will pop but any other noise after means business could be he went lean, which would lean towards haighters idea of bad gas. bad gas meaning it was not burning well enough and caused a lot of heat. Or he over revved a motor without the proper break in. Who knows good job and way to hand him his ***.

Some imports are damn fast do not let them fool ya.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MSS91Z28
....because he kept dodging in and out of traffic to escape the wrath of the engine touched by god.
lol sooo funny!

Kinda off topic, but I was bored at work, and I found a guy on Facebook named "Ellis Juan". So I requested him as friend, we'll see, hopefully he accepts.

So I was just lettin eveyone know to request him as friend. Because he deserves it.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by m6ttop
It wasn't just a pop though..it was actual flames and black smoke. I've seen this on some of the real fast turbo'd cars with bigger turbo's, high boost, no cats, etc, etc..but this one was stock, didnt even have exhaust. And like the other's said the noises it was making after weren't exactly healthy ones lol.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Launching!

I wonder if he put a small nitrous kit on his car and hit it with out having the window switch/ WOT switch set up. I bet he was one of those guys that would of had something like that for show. You know the kind of ricer, "I have NOS on it and its fast. It makes my turbo car crazy fast. I also have one that sprays over the inter cooler that makes me go stupid fast!" He had a back fire and blew the **** up.

Dumb ****, but the spray in the car. It will cool it more and make A LOT MORE POWER!

This guy was a Stealth Ricer because he didnt put his cool momo stickers and NOS stickers on all the windows.

Or the rev limiter was broken from over use of staying on the limiter to show off to his import friends and he over spun the motor and blew it.

Last edited by haighter; 10-01-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X driver loses his pride, and then his motor