Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

My bro just got a ticket. Need advise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My bro just got a ticket. Need advise...

My bro just got a ticket in his C6 that's assigned to the Compton court house.

The car has full boltons including full exhaust with LT headers.

The Sherrif got him for...
Tires too bald below 1/32 thread.....this is bullshit cuz they have less than 8K miles on them.
No front plate....
No cats....again, this is bullshit cuz my car does have cats. They're Hi-flow cats
Cars too low....ya I guess.

Here's my thing. If the car's too low (C6 Vette) how were you able to see if he had any cats or not? The tires (INVOs) are not even on the wear indicators so how are they bald.

Here's my idea and you guys tell me if it'll work. The car is registered under my name so I told him to just go to court and say the car doesn't belong to you and just say I have moved out of state and there's nothing you can do about a car that doesn't belong to you. The registration proves the car is under my name and not my bros. I'm hoping they will just give him a fix-it price for all the violations. All violations were checked off as correctable and non are requiring a state ref to look at it.

BTW, I just smogged the car "the special way" this week so I don't know if that'll help.

Do you guys think this will work? Or does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to court. Maybe if u need one get a lawyer.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Teching In

File a report with his sargeant...take the corvette there show his seargeant the tires arent bald and you have cats do not wait or he'll think you fixed it
Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn that sucks *** i hate cops like that gl
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NORCALMUSCLE1
File a report with his sargeant...take the corvette there show his seargeant the tires arent bald and you have cats do not wait or he'll think you fixed it
yah um then he gets to see the LT headers, hi-flow cats (illegal in CA), and all the exhaust mods... smart.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't take it to his C/O for two reasons:
1. I have LTs and the cats are illegal in CA
2. He got this ticket 8 months ago

Another thing I thought about him doing is telling him to show the judge that the car is legal and show the smog paperwork from this wk showing it passed. We can easily get the other stuff written off
Old 02-11-2011, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Danny;14486370]My bro just got a ticket in his C6 that's assigned to the Compton court house.

The car has full boltons including full exhaust with LT headers.

The Sherrif got him for...
Tires too bald below 1/32 thread.....this is bullshit cuz they have less than 8K miles on them.
No front plate....
No cats....again, this is bullshit cuz my car does have cats. They're Hi-flow cats
Cars too low....ya I guess.

if you got a no cat thats a state ref ticket.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

man, California is crazy.....everything is illegal......except
Old 02-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
yah um then he gets to see the LT headers, hi-flow cats (illegal in CA), and all the exhaust mods... smart.
Hey Cops usually cannot tail the difference between Hi flow and Cats..But Hey If wanna SAY SMART To me don't drive it or take the consequences that come with driving it...Right? It is what it is.

But Hey go ahead RUN and show them the car's been SMOGGED, All their going to do is NAIL the smog shop....

Now Here's my Question, Why did you brother get pulled over anyways?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can just pay all the fines
Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hijack the thread but the no front plate ticket is still a just a "fix it"???
Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

i think there a fine now.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just telling a judge that you moved out of state, and additionally that the car isn't even under your name, then he/she will probably just tell him that he shouldn't be driving the car without you here and that'll be even more reason to penalize him with fines. Also the judge isn't gonna walk out of the court with a 100 other people waiting for their minor offenses to be seen, so "showing the judge" isn't an option, unless you mean via paperwork lol. Show smog papers and proof of correction, and hopefully you'll get off pretty easy
Old 02-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Teching In

my dad was driving my car a couple years ago and he got pulled over for exhaust being too loud. he never told me about it and i sold the car the week after. when i went to court and showed them a bill of sale they said ok fine, but you will have to pay the fines. which i did and everything was good to go after that. now i don't know if you have the option of just paying the fines. i don't know if i would try and fight the exhaust part of it with smog paperwork because you could roll whomever smogged your car under the bus.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it to a walmart, sears, or anywhere that does any kind of tire work and have them "rotate the tires" or something. They always document tread depth on the receipts and paper work, and it's dated ect. I think that would be a good sheet of paper to have in court.

As far as the cats, take pictures of them if they're on there, take it to court. They didn't write you a ticket for illegal exhaust/long tubes then I'd imagine you'd be okay.

Front license plate and being too low? Yeah, you actually did those things so it's kind of whatever. But dont let them get away with screwing you just because they don't like hot rodders.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jc98ss
man, California is crazy.....everything is illegal......except
hahaha
Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
sorry to hijack the thread but the no front plate ticket is still a just a "fix it"???
nope its a 178$ fee just like window tint now i believe.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cats or not longtubes are illegal. He probably just assumed there were none when he saw the longtubes. You can easily get out of the tire ticket, car being too low is bs, especially if it isnt lowered so youll probably beat that too.

If the cats and plate are correctable then swap stock manifolds and cats on it and put a front plate and get them signed off...otherwise pay the fine.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the car isn't registered in his name, photo copy the registration and go to court and tell him it's not your car. What's he gonna do? Make you work on a car that you dont own to pay fines? He can't. He'll most likely throw them out and you'll pay court fees. Go to DMV first and get a print out proving that the car was just smogged. If for some reason he DOES try to dick you not caring who's car it is (cant imagine this), just ask for more time to get it done. He'll definately give you more time considering you showed up.

If he dicks you-

Front plate and tires are easily sign-offable.

when you get the front plate and tires signed off, try to get the car too low signed off too, its a mater of perspective, and everyones is different.

The no cats ticket will suck in this case, as the only one who can sign it off is the state ref. The problem is, whether you have cats or not, longtubes do two things illegal. 1, they change your exhaust from stock. This in itself is illegal in CA. 2. LT's change the location of your cats, which is also illegal. If you see the ref you'll have to put the exhaust back to 100% stock. along with any other "exterior" air mod and internal mod not certified by ca smog.

Go to court first and try to get it trown out.

good luck.

PS most cops don't go around giving this many infractions on one ticket for no reason. Sounds like your bro failed the attitude test. Just sayin'. A lot of times not having an attitude will save you a lot of time and money.

Last edited by jermzz; 02-20-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Go to court. The judge wants to see facts.

Get a tread depth indicator, and take pictures showing the tread depth. Print out something from the tire manufacturers website showing what original tread is, and show how you still have 80% tread, or whatever, left.

Put the front plate on, and take a picture of it.

Take a picture of the vehicle with cat's on, and show that to the judge.

Too low? Hmm? Go to a dealership and take a picture of stock ride heigth of your vehicle and take a picture of your vehicle and ask the judge if it's too low. Read the state statute on-line to see what it says about "too low."

I obviously wasn't there at the traffic stop, but these sound like "attitude" tickets. Was your brother polite? Honey is better than vinegar, know what I mean?

Were those the only citations issued? No speeding, squeeling tires, exhibition of speed, racing?

Good luck.

Quick Reply: My bro just got a ticket. Need advise...