Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Is it me or are ls1 fbodies are finally gaining value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it me or are ls1 fbodies are finally gaining value?

So in the past ive owned plenty of ls1's...

Once in a while i browse clist for fbod's like many on here do... From browsing i can never find a descent trans am with somewhat lower mileage for a good price anymore. Everyone wants 10K plus for an 90K+ ls1 t/a (a4, and m6) from what it seems... Its not a bad thing to me by any means (since i own an fbody )!

Hell, i even see some clean tpi third gens (both camaros and t/a's) for for at least 5 grand...

Is the market finally going up for these cars or what? Personally, i think that it is! About this time last year i remember reading threads about people complaining about how the fbodies were dropping down in value drastically... hmmmm

Just a quick reference...

I bought a 99 trans am back in 09 with 140K miles in great condition for 4000 and another one for like 4200, in 2010... Both A4's

So does anyone else notice the same thing?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends, I see the LOW mile ones selling for cheap. The medium mile ones with tasteful mods for excellent kbb. And the high mile ones, pretty cheap. People maybe ASKING a lot, but i keep seeing those same ones on CL over and over. Most people are still looking for a killer deal tho, so I think that makes people post high so they can come down more.

Just my .02
Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Depends, I see the LOW mile ones selling for cheap. The medium mile ones with tasteful mods for excellent kbb. And the high mile ones, pretty cheap. People maybe ASKING a lot, but i keep seeing those same ones on CL over and over. Most people are still looking for a killer deal tho, so I think that makes people post high so they can come down more.

Just my .02
lately (6 months ago- present) i just see high mileage fbodies (mainly trans ams) being asked a fortune for what they are actually worth... I see supposed "ss" camaros being asked for 5500, but they have high mileage and 22 inch rims.. pass on that right away...

Hell, in 2008, i sold my 02 black t/a m6 with 58K miles in great condition with some mods and a proper dyno tune on here for 10.4... There is no ******* way i would pay 10-12K for a 98 ws6 with "corvette motor" that has 120K miles and an a4.... some people need to get their heads out of their asses i think

Last edited by black_phoenix; 06-29-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think we're just clearing the "bottoming out" period, where the cars have been out of production for a while, a lot of the original owners have traded in, and they are no longer considered "almost new" used cars anymore. Over time, more get crashed/totaled or get high miles put on them. This makes the remaining low miles cars in good condition harder to find, and the people that have them more reluctant to sell.

Unless you want to drop $25-40 on a new mustang, challenger, or Gen5, what else can you get with an easy 300 rwhp under 4000 lbs and less than $10k?

Still, I would never look at a car as investment. Treat them as a hobby or an appliance. You will almost never make money holding on to a car if you calculate all the costs over time of storing and maintaining it, even if you sell it for more than you bought it for.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, after a big drop they are leveling out, maintaining, or at the very least only dropping down much slower. If you bought really cheap when they hit bottom, it appears they are "gaining" value compared to what you bought it for. But don't confuse that with the F-Bodies as a whole going up.

Additionally, people can be delusional and ask for >$10k for their F-Body, but those are the guys who are still trying to sell it years later. What they ask for does not dictate value or sale price. It is rare now that a 4th gen would sell for over $10k unless it fits some low mileage rare model category.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will happen, I am sure we will see them hoover. I don't think our cars will gain value till we are old lol.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't seen them go up, though it wouldn't surprise me. It seems like everyone time I look at the classifieds, theres are half-a-dozen of these cars getting parted out. Most of the time, it's because the seller can get more for it in pieces than as a complete car. While GM did make a bunch of the LS1 cars, especially in '98 and '99, they didn't build THAT many. It's just sad to me.

Eventually, they're going to be a bit more scarce and that's when the value will go up.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't work in car business, but I watch enough Meacham and Barrett-Jackson on Velocity Channel to put forth a few observations.

What makes a car have collector's value?

1) Being the "badass" of it's era. The 60's muscle era started in about 1964 and lasted about 10 years, peaking in about 1970.

2) Being part of a limited edition or subset. COPO, Janko, etc. In the modern era, SLP, SVT, Boss, etc. Also having the most factory options that were available, even stupid ones.

3) Staying as close to stock as possible. Even good resto-mods don't command the price of a car preserved in original OEM condition.

4) Evoking sentiment in old people who now have lots of money, but probably didn't when they were little kids looking at these cars when they were unattainable.

So, if you're willing to wait until you're near death, put your car on jackstands under a tarp with the engine fogged, and never mod it, in a nice climate controlled storage area... or keep it nearly stock in mint condition as parts become more scarce, you MAY make out well.

I'd say the early LS variants are sort of in the later part of the early stage of the 2nd great muscle era. One could kind of argue it started with the LT1 cars of the mid-90s, got better with the LS1, and I'd say we haven't peaked yet as HP numbers keep getting bigger and more and more special factory editions are becoming available. I'm not sure when the peak will occur, I honestly thought fuel prices or insurance rates would have killed them by now, as they did last time.

If Direct Injection is not a huge power improvement, then I'd we're almost at the peak, and go get yourself that COPO Camaro or Boss/Shelby whatever, if that makes you happy. As for 98-02 F-bodies? I'd say they may qualify in the 4th category I listed, as a versatile platform that people liked to upgrade, but born too early in the era to be a "must have" collector car.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

most fbodies for sale are over priced. most fall in between 4-6k. low miles ss-ws6 6-8. rare ones 8-15k. high miles $2500-4000 like 160k+
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
most fbodies for sale are over priced. most fall in between 4-6k. low miles ss-ws6 6-8. rare ones 8-15k. high miles $2500-4000 like 160k+
What he said
Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope this is the case b/c my car will be for sale soon , right after new injectors and full dyno tune
Old 07-03-2012, 04:37 AM
On The Tree

This is a question I asked myself when I got my mint condition 98 WS6 with 30K miles on it.
They made 1800 that year, how many are not crashed, still stock and low miles I don;t know. I do know that they won't go up in value for a while. I finally decided that I was going to go ahead and mod mine as reasonable as possible to enjoy it for those 20 years rather than looking at it as an investment. Anything you do to not make it stock even if it is better will lower a collector value. If you can save parts and return it to stock you may have future options. Major options that can't be easily undone seal your fate. I love the body style I have but would also like a newer hot car but can't afford one. I won't get my money back on the mods in cash for sure but perhaps in a smile on my face as my daily driver.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, they're only 10 years old or so...they're no collector cars yet.

What you're witnessing is people who bought them for $15k or so 5 years ago and even though they have 100k miles on them now, they think they're still worth $10k.

People just want top dollar for their stuff in the poor economy for the most part too.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm not selling it, but lately, i've been getting approached with offers for my car. i tell people to go search around and buy them for cheap. if they keep pushing, i tell them what i'd really sell it for and they go away.

for some reason, people want these ******* things. i'm guessing they're probably current or previous fbody owners looking for ones in decent condition.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Capricio
I think we're just clearing the "bottoming out" period, where the cars have been out of production for a while, a lot of the original owners have traded in, and they are no longer considered "almost new" used cars anymore. Over time, more get crashed/totaled or get high miles put on them. This makes the remaining low miles cars in good condition harder to find, and the people that have them more reluctant to sell.

Unless you want to drop $25-40 on a new mustang, challenger, or Gen5, what else can you get with an easy 300 rwhp under 4000 lbs and less than $10k?

Still, I would never look at a car as investment. Treat them as a hobby or an appliance. You will almost never make money holding on to a car if you calculate all the costs over time of storing and maintaining it, even if you sell it for more than you bought it for.
That's why I have 2 of them
Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

they are worth whatever people will buy them for. A lot of that also has to do with the area. some areas have lots to choose from, and I doubt you can get top dollar for them, but in areas with few to choose from, people get more desperate and pay more for less desirable cars.

I sold mine for about $13k if memory serves, and that was just over 2 years ago. no way I would pay that much for another F-body, but then again I dont want another special edition or low mile car.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=fast01z28;16500358]they are worth whatever people will buy them for. A lot of that also has to do with the area. [QUOTE]

completly agree with this ....
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
I hope this is the case b/c my car will be for sale soon , right after new injectors and full dyno tune
why are you selling it??
Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Teching In

it seems that (as usual) people want the performance, but don't want to pay for it. I'm happy to own a couple LS1 f-bodies: good old-fashioned American horse-power, for cheap

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

I sold my 02 camaro ss A4 with 43k miles , the bad was it had a chipped winshield , no back seat and like 3 scratches very tiny ones for 12.5k I am not sure did I get decent money for it ? Or get taken ? Or good deal for both ends?

I am hunting for a f body M6 , 9inch rear , low miles, clean car so if anyone wants money I am looking guys !!

Quick Reply: Is it me or are ls1 fbodies are finally gaining value?