Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

2013 California smog thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current OBDII check system can not detect any mods to the tune......Yet.....
Definitely consider this a possibility down the road though.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Section 4.3: Inspection Protocol:

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/roadside.pdf
Old 11-16-2015, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

I've been giving this thread a read and I'm curious. My 2000 TA has an EGR that never set to ready. I tried a ton of stuff including replacing it. Nothing worked so I gave up and blocked it off . Now with smog coming up in not sure what to do. Just set it up with it blocked off at the manifold like an illusion. Hopefully that won't create a vacumm leak. Have my tuner set it to read ready? Maybe they will check to see if it's functional? I'm not sure what to do.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by celtsean
I've been giving this thread a read and I'm curious. My 2000 TA has an EGR that never set to ready. I tried a ton of stuff including replacing it. Nothing worked so I gave up and blocked it off . Now with smog coming up in not sure what to do. Just set it up with it blocked off at the manifold like an illusion. Hopefully that won't create a vacumm leak. Have my tuner set it to read ready? Maybe they will check to see if it's functional? I'm not sure what to do.
IMO - I'd put it back because you will most likely fail visual if its not there. You could try to get the tune to set it to read ready, although it may be best to just connect everything back up and check functionality, if it still isn't working tune it out and cross your fingers it doesn't come up during their OBD scan. My 02 still has AIR connected and measured as part of the tune.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blu06R1
IMO - I'd put it back because you will most likely fail visual if its not there. You could try to get the tune to set it to read ready, although it may be best to just connect everything back up and check functionality, if it still isn't working tune it out and cross your fingers it doesn't come up during their OBD scan. My 02 still has AIR connected and measured as part of the tune.
Yeah I'll try to get it to to set ready . If not I'll just leave it ,and have it set to read ready. The weird thing is ,with it unhooked it reads ready but the cats won't set to ready now. I hate this smog stuff. Thanks a lot for your reply.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I just passed smog in my 2000 TA. It's so weird and I thought I'd share my experience. As long as I've owned the car the egr would never set to ready. I replaced it and messed with the pipes and gasket till I was sick of trying to complete that stupid drive cycle. It is much more difficult to do in an m6. So two years ago I blocked it off till this year when a 2000 can only have one readiness monitor incomplete. And it is EVAP. So I was stuck as to what to do.

The weirdest thing about it is, with it blocked off and totally unhooked it set to ready. Throwing a code for egr low voltage and a pending code for the same it still read complete. The cats however now would not set. I figured that was due to the egr being unhooked. So I hooked it back up, did some drive cycles to get the cats to read ready and low and behold all systems ready. I believe if I reset them the egr would again not set to ready.

I don't care really ,because I passed . But does anyone know why I have to unhook my egr to get it to set ready? I just find it strange. If I have to pass next year ,I'll do the same thing after a reset . Let them all set ready(except cats) without it hooked up,then hook it up and the cats will set within a day or two.

Last edited by celtsean; 11-29-2015 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently did a 6.0 LQ4 swap on my Camaro. Every single accessory from my LS1 is bolted onto my LQ4. Will it pass the star smog? I havent ran the car much. I tried taking it today but it has 6 monitors that are incomplete. If those monitors were to be functioning normal, would I be in the clear? Everything is stock. Nothing has been removed.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
I recently did a 6.0 LQ4 swap on my Camaro. Every single accessory from my LS1 is bolted onto my LQ4. Will it pass the star smog? I havent ran the car much. I tried taking it today but it has 6 monitors that are incomplete. If those monitors were to be functioning normal, would I be in the clear? Everything is stock. Nothing has been removed.
Which sensors failed?
Old 01-02-2016, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which sensors failed?
It turns out I had to drive the car a few miles to get the monitors running properly. I still have a check engine light dude to low efficient in bank 2. Would any of you know where I can possibly get legal cats for it? Code is P0430.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

It turns out I had to drive the car a few miles to get the monitors running properly. I still have a check engine light dude to low efficient in bank 2. Would any of you know where I can possibly get legal cats for it? Code is P0430.
Glad to hear that they cleared for you.

Magnaflow carries CARB legal cats for our cars. If you have a shop that can fab them up for you P/N 448106 is just the Cat for weld-in and the bolt-in replacement is 448477 for driver side and 448489 for passenger side. Difference being $250 or $400 a piece. They are all covered under E.O # D-193-113.

You may still need a muffler shop to do some fab work on the outlets depending on what type of Cat-Back system you have.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Glad to hear that they cleared for you.

Magnaflow carries CARB legal cats for our cars. If you have a shop that can fab them up for you P/N 448106 is just the Cat for weld-in and the bolt-in replacement is 448477 for driver side and 448489 for passenger side. Difference being $250 or $400 a piece. They are all covered under E.O # D-193-113.

You may still need a muffler shop to do some fab work on the outlets depending on what type of Cat-Back system you have.
I thought those Magnaflow direct fit/replacement were ready to simply bolt into the factory position??
Old 01-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
I thought those Magnaflow direct fit/replacement were ready to simply bolt into the factory position??
I've never ordered them personally, only aware they exist because I live in this shitty state. My only concern is when I pull them up online they show a flat 3 bolt connection on the Y-pipe side. The manifold side looks correct though.

My stock manifold/cat/downpipe to SLP Y-pipe uses a two bolt slip on connection, so I'm not positive if that connection between the downpipe and Y-pipe is standardized between all exhaust manufacturers or if Magnaflow is just using the wrong picture? Maybe someone else with more info could chime in?

My only intent was to say that they might require modification depending on the exhaust setup you're currently using.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:02 PM

I wonder the same thing because I am in the same boat. 2000 Z28 with a 4.8 swap. Im using all of the LS1 parts on the motor with the exception of PAC valve springs. Ive been trying to find out how close the factory tunes are between the 4.8 and LS1. If they are close then maybe if I installed a LS1 cam in the little 4.8 and use the LS1 computer I may just pass.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tmack4.8u
I wonder the same thing because I am in the same boat. 2000 Z28 with a 4.8 swap. Im using all of the LS1 parts on the motor with the exception of PAC valve springs. Ive been trying to find out how close the factory tunes are between the 4.8 and LS1. If they are close then maybe if I installed a LS1 cam in the little 4.8 and use the LS1 computer I may just pass.
Currently they're not checking tunes (down the road this could change), they're checking to make sure the smog equipment is hooked up and that you have cat's in the stock location. Anything outside of that they can see visually has CARB E.O's. As long as they when they plug the computer up and it doesn't come back with any fault codes you should be good to go. If you were a 98-99 car you'd have to get on the roller's and worry about emissions, thankfully you have a 2000 which means they just check visuals and the ECM for fault codes.

As long as everything appears stock and all EGR/AIR equipment is where its supposed to be you will be fine.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any decent exhaust shop will find currently legal/carb approved cats for around 80 bucks. once they have been installed as approved at that time of installation never lose your receipt & you're good forever (which ones are legal/acceptable change sometimes every few months it's ridiculous but it does happen) ... my true dual with x pipe from the stock mani's back out over the axle to the tips is a clean cut at the manis & i just have the cats re-welded in every 2 years at smog time & have my receipt which shows they were cali/carb approved at the time of purchase. my exhaust shop guy charges me $25 to replace & then come back in a day or 2 & have him remove the cats. only once so far, as i had my setup for about a year before my last smog. next one coming up in about 7 months. i also have a spare ecu with frost tune, & just swap in my oem ecu for smog also.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Not really sure what to do at this point. 1998 Formula with a 229 cam, mac headers, heads, tune, lS6 intake and a ton of other stuff. Although I only drive it a few times a month it's great having the option to do it. Thinking might be easier to Non-Op it and sell as a race car then to put everything back proper.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Alex L.
Not really sure what to do at this point. 1998 Formula with a 229 cam, mac headers, heads, tune, lS6 intake and a ton of other stuff. Although I only drive it a few times a month it's great having the option to do it. Thinking might be easier to Non-Op it and sell as a race car then to put everything back proper.
Did you build or purchase the car this way??
Old 03-01-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Since this thread started, I've had to have my 2002 SS smogged via the tailpipe test, twice. This weekend I went in and they FINALLY did it via the ODBII port only. The guy told me to go get a new gas cap (gasket was cracked). Other than that, it passed.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 AM
Launching!

anyone still able to find "special" STAR smog? or are they really all heavily regulated?

Trying to decide what to do with the car. either part it out or sell it, as I cant seem to locate a STAR one to pass the car. All i found was normal ones.

Bummer its only been a year and Cali is already asking for a smog.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've smogged my car twice at star stations and passed no issues. The first time they didn't even put it on the rollers, the second time they did. I have a 98 car.

Quick Reply: 2013 California smog thread