Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Attention: If Don Lee's or Strictly Performance has done work on your car need advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Attention: If Don Lee's or Strictly Performance has done work on your car need advise

Hey all:
Well I will be doing the cam and heads in less then a month and a few of you members recommened both DON LEE AUTO and STRICTLY PERFORMANCE

Well I need to hear from everyone that has had work on there cars at either place tell me what they thought of the work and everything.

If you dont want to post it on this site then please PM me a message and I will keep it to myself.

I have spoke with both of them and both where great.

So please take a moment and leave me your feedback of what you thought.

Thanks all
Old 12-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped off my car on a Thursday evening just before they closed for a complete engine rebuild (new heads/cam, forged pistons, connecting rods, new block) and the following Friday morning (one week later) the car was ready!!!! One week for a complete engine rebuild is incredible. If you are doing heads/cam, I would bet money your car would be done in 2 days max.

They do not take on more work than they can handle......when they tell you to drop off your car so they can work on it, they WORK ON IT....nuff said...

I like a shop that does business like that........ This is why I bring all my cars there....
Old 12-22-2004, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1sweet00SS
Dropped off my car on a Thursday evening just before they closed for a complete engine rebuild (new heads/cam, forged pistons, connecting rods, new block) and the following Friday morning (one week later) the car was ready!!!! One week for a complete engine rebuild is incredible. If you are doing heads/cam, I would bet money your car would be done in 2 days max.

They do not take on more work than they can handle......when they tell you to drop off your car so they can work on it, they WORK ON IT....nuff said...

I like a shop that does business like that........ This is why I bring all my cars there....
You did not mention which shop you took it to. How do you like your setup? Where did you take it to get tuned?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

I have a set of stage 2 ported heads for sale (cheap!). Let me know if you need any...
Old 12-22-2004, 03:04 AM
Teching In

Well i just had a cutout installed last week and i thought that Don Lee auto is great. Great customer service, i havent been to Strickly performance so i cant say anything about them but Don Lee Auto is great. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2004, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
You did not mention which shop you took it to. How do you like your setup? Where did you take it to get tuned?
1sweet00SS uses Don Lee's.

I took my El Camino there when another shop couldn't finish the LT1 that was going into it. It's a long story but basically they rebuilt the motor and got it running, plus did some other things (wiring, interior brackets etc.) in about 2 1/2 weeks (for the conversion). They've also done work to my Camaro and if I can get the funds togeather will be doing a new motor for the Camaro this spring.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Rob Barth did mostly everything on my wife's race car. He put his 'special' heads and cam on our car, as well as a lot of weight reduction, BMR K-member, Wolfe Drag Bar and a 10-point cage install. It was at his shop for about a month, but at no fault of his own, we were awaiting parts from vendors and upon my finances. Rob has taken good care of us as well as his other clients. I witnessed this first hand when I would visit to drop off items. Many cars came in for either a catback install, or suspension mods and they would be done the same day as they arrived. He has some long term projects in his shop as well, people who can be without there car for a while and don't mind, like us with our race car. His prices and cutomer service are incredible, he doesn't go home until he is done.

Mind you, I am not saying DLA is not good, just stating the facts that I know. I have not dealt with DLA, but I know Rob Cowlings over there and he is a great guy.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
Sorry about that .....

Like Poltergeist said I take my car to Don Lee Auto....

They rebuilt my engine, installed a 12 bolt, and installed my N2O kit.

I have never been to the other shop, therefore I have nothing bad or good to say about them.

As far as my tuning, I bought LS1 edit for my car, and had Eric from Bottle Fed Racing (Redlands) tune it.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don Lees did an entier LS1 swap into my 69 Camaro in under two weeks.. that included rebuilding the LS1 and all the fab work!! Tim is a real car guy.. its not just a job to him.. They care about what they put out and best of all they charge VERY fair prices..

Ive seen them do heads/cam in a day.. compare that to some shops that took a week or more.. They have earned and will always get my business
Old 12-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Don Lee Auto
Took my 94 Z28 there for opti replacement, dropped car off at like 8am and car was ready by about 2pm SAMEDAY!!! They replaced opti, water pump, plugs, wires, etc. I went on recommendations from other fbody owners and did not regret it. Tim will be doing my heads and cam on my Firehawk hopefully in about a month or so.

And yes as previously mentioned Tim knows his **** !!!
Old 12-22-2004, 04:01 PM

DLA built my motor, from the ground up, in about two weeks. They had to order a handful of parts that I didn't even supply them with. Communication was always excellent and the final result was a motor that's never given me even a hiccup (and I don't know of anyone else who's done .080" over on an iron block). The quality of work is outstanding. However, it's typically not inexpensive.

That said, I've also recieved "good samaritan" support from Rob at Strictly. He helped me with a PCM problem I was having and he didn't get a penny out of it. I intend to bring a bunch of my business his way next year.

I know Rob at Strictly does tuning. DLA does not (at least as of a week ago when I was last there). Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck on your decision. It's a much better conundrum deciding between two great shops, than deciding between two iffy shops.

Last edited by xp3nd4bl3; 12-22-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:50 PM
8 Second Club

Don Lee's is the only place that I have taken my Camaros to.They have done everything on 2 of my 3 4th Gens and they even helped me get my motor back in my 30th Vert to make a Race in Vegas where my 30th SS Vert ran 8.70's @ 160MPH. They really know their stuff and their customer sevice is the best.

I have met Rob from Strickly and he seems like a great guy.

Last edited by Nine Finger 02 Z28; 12-22-2004 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know either one and I don't recommend either one. Just for the heck of it I called Don Lee's garage and asked for a torque converter swap. Bring the truck in early morning and pick up in the afternoon, $275.00. Well, my friend Omar who by the way is an excellent mechanic without any performance ego, said bring the truck in @ 9:30 and by noon you drive off, $200.00. Next year he'll be doing the heads/cam swap also.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

It's nice to hear we have 2 good shops to do some work on our pride & joys..I know when I decide to do a Heads & Cam swap It will be 1 of these places doing it
Old 12-25-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eurosys
I don't know either one and I don't recommend either one. Just for the heck of it I called Don Lee's garage and asked for a torque converter swap. Bring the truck in early morning and pick up in the afternoon, $275.00. Well, my friend Omar who by the way is an excellent mechanic without any performance ego, said bring the truck in @ 9:30 and by noon you drive off, $200.00. Next year he'll be doing the heads/cam swap also.
Performance ego???

Does Omar have a shop?
Old 12-25-2004, 05:38 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Performance ego???

Does Omar have a shop?
Sounds to me like a Backyard place with no overhead.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nine Finger 02 Z28
Sounds to me like a Backyard place with no overhead.
Exactly what I was thinking......
Old 12-26-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1sweet00SS
Exactly what I was thinking......

Im sure Rob (@ Strictly) has overhead, and he charged me $200 for a convertor swap. So, "Omar" needs to lower his prices if he wants to work out of his driveway.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Ok guys, don't bash Omar, he is a very good mechanic with a lot of years of experience.This morning I went to his shop, was there at 9:00 and left at 13:00. All in all, it took him 3 hours (no help) to install my new Edge Racing torque converter. Paid 200 bucks + 6 for tranni oil. With the new converter it's a totally different driving feeling and the new power is awesome but, like anyone of you I want more. Next year it'll be heads and cam. PM if you need his services.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

DLA built the motor for my last in 5 days. didn't have any problems with it for the remainder of the time owning the car. I will be going back when i get another fbody.

Quick Reply: Attention: If Don Lee's or Strictly Performance has done work on your car need advise