its illegal in california right?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything is illegal in cali lol
Old 03-16-2006, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha yea i figured, i was wondering if myabe i could get away with having td's bent so they are side exhaust.... kinda like oldschool muscle...
Old 03-16-2006, 11:59 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Find a way to add cats and your good to go.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

your fine as long as you dont mess with the cats and then it doesnt go above the 95 decibel limit, which is already close with our cars stock
Old 03-17-2006, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet i was going to go pacesetter lt's, then have a shop put cats on the fron of td's with god knows hwat mufflers...
then put on the stop set up for smogg...
Old 03-17-2006, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
sweet i was going to go pacesetter lt's, then have a shop put cats on the fron of td's with god knows hwat mufflers...
then put on the stop set up for smogg...
Long tubes are illegal in cali

True duals, too.

EDIT: on our cars, I mean. If it changes the original setup, i.e. changes from a y pipe to an x or h, it's illegal. We have to keep the same type of setup as stock in Cali. Same goes for dumping before the axle: exhaust has to exit out the back.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Mr Domino sorry but you can do whatever you would like with your exhaust as long as you are not moving the cats ie no long tubes of course. if you dont beleive me then go ask a reputable exhaust shop they wont touch the cats or anything to do with them, unless the car has no license plates and is trailered to their shop, but they will do whatever kind of exhaust you want after the cats.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

you can do whatever with your exhaust... i have it dumped and have had many cops pull me over without saying a word (and it's a loudmouth resonator too ).... also just recently got it smogged and they didn't say anything as well... even though my cats are moved slightly from the stock locations due to my custom y-pipe.
what makes it illegal is if the stock exhuast is altered at all... which I have done so hence i'm illegal but which isn't that big a deal now a days since practically every car doesn't have stock exhuast including ones coming off dealer lots but according to the book any exhaust that is altered is considered illegal... just depends really how much of a dick cop or smog ref. you get
Old 03-17-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
Mr Domino sorry but you can do whatever you would like with your exhaust as long as you are not moving the cats ie no long tubes of course. if you dont beleive me then go ask a reputable exhaust shop they wont touch the cats or anything to do with them, unless the car has no license plates and is trailered to their shop, but they will do whatever kind of exhaust you want after the cats.

Unfortunately this isn't true. Doing anything you want as long as it's behind the cats is a wives tale! :Some people MIGHT be able to get away with it, but it is illegal. Changing the exhaust from a single to a dual is ILLEGAL, and so is anything that exits BEFORE the rear axle! I've spoken to a ref before and can tell you that dual and/or pre axle dumps are most definately ILLEGAL.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Unfortunately this isn't true. Doing anything you want as long as it's behind the cats is a wives tale! :Some people MIGHT be able to get away with it, but it is illegal. Changing the exhaust from a single to a dual is ILLEGAL, and so is anything that exits BEFORE the rear axle! I've spoken to a ref before and can tell you that dual and/or pre axle dumps are most definately ILLEGAL.
What he said.