Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Need replacement cat

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need replacement cat

Alright I have got to take care of this crap this week.
Have a 2001 Camaro and I need a catalytic converter for the passenger side. Yeah I know they are under warranty but I'm sure Chevy isn't going to cover me, and they already told me they'd charge the $90 labor if it wasn't.

Just need a cheap aftermarket one that will mount up to the stock exhaust. Or maybe a used OEM one if anyone has one lying around. Seen all kinds of ones that say universal on ebay for like $50 or less, they aren't angled like the stock ones, so do those kinds fit easily? How difficult is it to remove and install new ones? I have nothing to lift my car so I can't even get under to see how they are held on.
Had this problem and others for months, but I've been working every day but Sunday, when everything is closed. Need to take care of this first, any info or advice is appreciated, I'm such a car newb and I don't want to pay like $400+ at a mechanic.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeavermanA
Alright I have got to take care of this crap this week.
Have a 2001 Camaro and I need a catalytic converter for the passenger side. Yeah I know they are under warranty but I'm sure Chevy isn't going to cover me, and they already told me they'd charge the $90 labor if it wasn't.
Don't give up just yet, why do you think they wouldn't cover you?

How many miles do you have? The cat warranty was extended to 10yr/120k for our model years. You should have received a service bulletin or notice in the mail.

I can scan mine and post it if you want the info off of it.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

If you come to Pasadena I will give you the passender side cat as is ( still connected to manifolds of however it is) to use for free, just return it to me and lemme know when you will come back. Some fellow wanted my cats for 100 shipped but Im too lazy to do so. So id rather let someone come pick it up and borrow it for a few days for free instead.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

If its just for smogging that is... if you want it to keep, then IDK. we can work something out. but Like I said, pickup only. or meet halfway for a resonable price.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Well I had an accident a while back, and after I got the body fixed , took it to a mechanic that said the cat was broken from the crash, so I know Chevy is going to notice and say the same thing.
I just want to get my gas mileage back right now, get about 12/14 which is super crap, used to be at least 17/26. Probably not the cat alone causing that but I'd like to fix it, and maybe get some new o2 sensors/sims before I take it somewhere to get looked at cause it might cost a lot.
So yeah I want to buy a stock cat (not gutted), have smog for the first time this year.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just buy an ORY and have someone fix the tune? that'd be cheap and yield power..
Old 05-21-2007, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BeavermanA
Well I had an accident a while back, and after I got the body fixed , took it to a mechanic that said the cat was broken from the crash, so I know Chevy is going to notice and say the same thing.
I just want to get my gas mileage back right now, get about 12/14 which is super crap, used to be at least 17/26. Probably not the cat alone causing that but I'd like to fix it, and maybe get some new o2 sensors/sims before I take it somewhere to get looked at cause it might cost a lot.
So yeah I want to buy a stock cat (not gutted), have smog for the first time this year.
your gas mileage is bad from a broken cat? maybe, but an ORY will not cause bad gas mileage. Gearing is a huge factor, but not an exhasut setup. Not that big.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

****, see now I don't know what to do again, don't have unlimited money so I can't just drop it off somewhere and have it repaired entirely.
Is it relatively easy to install something like the LM2 cat-back and a ORY with simple tools like socket wrenches? Do I have to weld much? How much would a shop charge to do a job like that if I provided the kit? When smog comes around, am I going to be able to cheat or will I have to spend money again converting back to stock to pass?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

the cat is here if you wanna use it for free still.

It must be temporary and pick up only. But nevertheless free.

Just make sure what you want first.