Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

street racing ???s for the cali members!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default street racing ???s for the cali members!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955/

is street racing that serious and out of control in cali, or is the state using it as a money generator?

what are the laws in regards to modifying cars?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is they (authorities, media) classify too many circumstances as "illegal street racing". It such a great catch phrase in a political environment, so they use it as much as possible. It's like the phrase "terror" come election time.

Right now, it is low-hanging fruit (easy obtainable targets) for police and an easy sell for media outlets. Additionally, they receive overwhelming support from voters and the public because of the perceived dangers.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

And here's the kicker for the demolition:

"They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed."
Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hoang, illegal street racer
he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.
Thats freaking hilarious probably runs 9's at palmdale too
Old 06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

its not that bad in the bay area. We have huge meets in public parking lots and rarely get hassled. I drive my **** around with open headers, no one cares.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

^^^Damn i gotta go there.
Nah it wasn't that bad when i lived in Palmdale. Cops could really give a rats *** about domestics. It's the imports they are after. Now since i've moved to the San Fernando valley things have tensed up a bit.
In Ontario things are crazy!!! Cops EVERYWHERE, dumbass ricers EVERYWHERE, all running around like they are litteraly playing tag. The group meeets, cops break it up, pull over a few cars, all others run. Then they meet again, and the cycle repeats at least fifteen times no joke.
Camarillo is pretty bad sometimes too.
There are a few other places that are cool to run if you know what you are doing and don't act/drive like an A-hole.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

the yellow hatch belonged to my friend sergio from h.s. that **** was pretty funny...you should have seen it on t.v. when they interviewed him.....
Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Launching!

I live in Vista by Oceanside and there isnt really a problem here. There are a few ricers here that think they are the ****, but i show them up whenver i can. Plus yea cops dont care about domestics, they are after the imports with the cans on their exhaust. But the law on modification is that you cant have anything that increases emissions, and if it is part of your intake then you have to have a C.A.R.B.# for it. As far as exhaust, anthing from the cat(s) back is legal as long as it is within noise desimals, but you cant alter your cats in anyway, which means you have to run shortie headers that have a C.A.R.B#
Old 06-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Launching!

from what i know and heard:

- anything that makes more noise illegal
- anything over 120 hp per liter illegal
- chirping ur tires at a light illegal
- speed up to the 35mph limit too quickly illegal
- removing any restrictor or governor from ur vehicle illegal
- having fun in cali illegal
- having a faster car than the lapd or their helicopters illegal
- pull up to a cop car in a nice car illegal
Old 06-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Launching!

damn!!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

I've been pulled over a lot more in my "import" then I ever was in any of my other domestic cars.

They never have given me issue when I show them my CARB sticker though.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44
its not that bad in the bay area. We have huge meets in public parking lots and rarely get hassled. I drive my **** around with open headers, no one cares.
I agree
Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

They don't usually hastle domestics but the one time I met up with a friend of mine at an imort meet (maybe 30 cars and the lamest show I've been to in my life... was about $5000 worth of CF in that parking lot though lol), it was broken up within the hour with 2 cops waiting at the exits and that was in Irvine... then again... Irvine SUCKS.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Authorities destroyed six vehicles Wednesday at an auto graveyard, hoping would-be racers think again after looking at the mashed machines. Illegal street racing is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.
I don't even street race anymore and that makes me mad. Man all 13 of of them?! Go catch guys trafficking drugs or something. F*ck the police.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, street racing probably isn't the best thing in the world, but damn there are worse..... people get shot at everyday, people die everyday doing worse things then racing cars...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
They don't usually hastle domestics but the one time I met up with a friend of mine at an imort meet (maybe 30 cars and the lamest show I've been to in my life... was about $5000 worth of CF in that parking lot though lol), it was broken up within the hour with 2 cops waiting at the exits and that was in Irvine... then again... Irvine SUCKS.
Irvine DOES suck, i work out there and i've almost driven thru those mobile smog dyno's they set up on the street on several occasions...
Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
Irvine DOES suck, i work out there and i've almost driven thru those mobile smog dyno's they set up on the street on several occasions...
mobile smog dyno? have a link?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

I have heard of them and supposedly they are about to try and do them around right where I live (santa ana/ orange) I have yet to see one but I think its just the butt sniffer and you have to rev to like 2500 and hold it there or something, could be way off though its just I doubt they could have many mobile smog dynos, but they dont stop every car either. I have my smog certificate in my car, my car passed with a dumped muffler But since then its gotten hollowed cats so I really hope they just take the certificate . . .
Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you read that its all about the ricers... the American cars arent involved... All the cops had either had on or wanted one of our cars.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned

The major problem out here is that they are closing the legit drag strips left and right, first is was Pomona (closed to the public due to noise complaints from the near-by residents) then is was Carlsbad, now its LACR which is going by the way side late next month, so all we have really is Fontana and its an 8 hour day to get 3-4 runs in... Not worth it. If the state really wanted to do something about the street-racing issue, then they would step up and open up state funded dragstrips that would be accessabe and CHEAP for everyone to use.

Its too political though and it will probably never happen, especially since Gray Davis ran this state so far into the ground that we are still recovering. ******* politics!!!

Quick Reply: street racing ???s for the cali members!