Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

thinking about moving to NV

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about moving to NV

thinking about moving near vegas for a job offer i got... trying to see how things are around the areas on the west coast being im FL its gonna be all new to me.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

be prepared for cracked dashes and high AC costs....
Old 02-17-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Las vegas has pretty much the same cost of living as florida if not cheaper. Taxes are freakin low. Also a cool perk of being a resident is when you go to the strip you get a discount pretty much everywhere. Are you looking to buy or rent?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Teching In

not sure yet... i would love to buy to be honest.. but all of my family lives in FL so if i go to NV i will most likely rent there unless the job is just worth staying there for then ill most likely buy.. all depends on how the job goes really... but if its almost like FL then im sure ill adapt fairly well.. hows the car scene?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Hot as hell, rude people (the local Goat crowd is pretty chill though!) and just as much if not more traffic than downtown LA anywhere near the strip or I-15. I absolutely hated it there. Some like it though...
Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
Hot as hell, rude people (the local Goat crowd is pretty chill though!) and just as much if not more traffic than downtown LA anywhere near the strip or I-15. I absolutely hated it there. Some like it though...
They're just rude cause you dont have NV plates

The car scene is pretty cool, pretty simular to socal, and I barely ever see any cops. And I can't even describe the difference in police attitudes towards you. You go from the *******-power trippers of cali to mellow nevada PD.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

haha tell him the reality (until you get used to it) It is dry as hell. Some people get a bloody nose from it or crusty boogers in the morning. the rare occasion there is Rain it is reason to go outside and stare at the sky

110-120 in the summer but without the humidity its not so bad, just don't touch metal or anything thats been under that sun Ouch!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

hey man hot weather = lots of pool time = lots of girls in bikini's!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hlaalu
hey man hot weather = lots of pool time = lots of girls in bikini's!
You got it!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Teching In

right on from reading all this it doesnt seem to much different then Miami during the summer exept the no humity part which i can live with... 25 years living in nothing but pretty much FL ive gotten to know humidity.. it would be nice to go out side and not get hit with a wall of humity in your face and sweat bullets
Old 02-18-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Vegas is good in its own ways...Night life is awsome.. besides goign down to the strip there are a lot of cool local hangouts that are a lot of fun... but you got to consider this if you have kids or want to have kids I think its a terrible place to raise them.. There is nothign to do untill you are 21. So it makes them just try to get into ****.. imop.... Yes its hot as *****.. but once you get used to it.. ehhhh and everwhere you go has AC... and **** it.. dont go out your house until night time... unless you need to most stores stat open relaly late.. everywhere you go has a drivethru... drive thru subway, atms, so you dont have to get out of your car much. Housing is cheap compared to the bay area and califronia.. I dont knwo how flordia is.. but that is one plus but once you get a hose dont let the eveil strip get you and gamble your rent away.... and my last opinion on living in vegas is that I feel like I am sittign in this town in the middle of the dessert... o wait... it is a town in the dessert..so i guess depends on what your lookign for..
Old 02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much do you pay to heat and cool your home?
i hear electricity bill during the summer is insane due to ac going 24/7.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

It's cheaper to run AC in nv than in cali. Alot of people seem to think that there is only the strip to hang out at, wrong. If you like offroading, dirtbiking, there are countless places to go- I pull out of my garage and head behind my house to endless trails and sand-dunes. If your into boating and wakeboard Mead is right in the area. Oh did I mention no stupid emission laws? =D
Old 02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
how much do you pay to heat and cool your home?
i hear electricity bill during the summer is insane due to ac going 24/7.
My last house was only 1500sf but in the summer my highest bill was 150 or 160. winter gas bill was about 70 to 80. It was just me in the house so the AC and heat were on a timer and not running constantly. My mom's electric bill in the summer can be as high as 350 or so.

Quick Reply: thinking about moving to NV