Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Tips and tricks to maintaning your headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips and tricks to maintaning your headlights

For those of you that drive an ls1 camaro, the headlights are notorious for fogging, hazing or yellowing. follow these carefull steps to maintain the visibility.

Now thru years of doing different **** to keep these clean i finally think ive got it down.

If your lights are yellow and you have already done the sanding method and are looking to maintain the shine or you just want to prevent yellowing, this is perfect for you.

I used to use meguirs plastic x but after trying different products i found that blue magic's product works best, i found mine at the local kragen.

So after polishing by hand with the new polish, i find using a mothers powerball and high speed drill works great for buffing the lens. make several passes and wipe off the old with a microfiber or something similar.

Be carefull not to burn the paint off the edges of your car, this can be done easily so pay attention.

After polishing with the blue magic stuff, i like to rub in some sort of paint polish, i like the blue zymoil found at kragen or 3m finishing compound, after rubbing in by hand i again use the powerball to buff the lens, spending time to get every corner and being carefull not to burn the paint.

After wiping off the excess when you feel you are done with that lens, i like to go over the lens by hand with a good sealant, such as adams butter wax, or any good wax such as nu finish. buff by hand and wipe off the paint.

I like to do this about once a month or at least 8 times a year, i find my lights to be the shiniest or clearest on f body outtings, i think this process makes my lights last the longest and stay the cleanest.

Good luck.

luke
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

right on!! Wanna try it on my car?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have recently made my headlights brand new, and done it to some other cars out there also. i have used the blue magic stuff (very strong chemical) this takes out all the yellowing, i used this with a special towel and rubbed them on the headlights hard enough ware the headlights got a little warm! after this i followed it with the maguires plastic X (not so good but works) and i used a white pad on a buffing motor and spread the stuff all over the headlights, then i changed pads to a whool type of pad that made the headlights shine like new. and the last Novus #2 fine scratch remover works the best!!! this stuff took out all the small scratches, i also used the buffer with this solution. the headlights now look like brand new
Old 06-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sommer86
right on!! Wanna try it on my car?
i have some blue magic, we can use it when i see u next time. lol maybe well do it at the car meet or something
Old 06-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Launching!

i'd just like to be able to open my headlights again w/o having to pop my hood....it sucks...makes a **** wanna buy the conversion to exposed headlights
Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just put a coat of wax overtime i wax the car......
might try using the ball tho and a plastic polish.

also if they really bad Autozone sells a little head light renewing kit it is made by 3m is has lil i think 4 inch circles of sand paper for like 400to 2000 that go on to a bit that connects to any drill also come with some sort 3m plastic polish or sealant only 16 bucks on the paint section.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01black
i'd just like to be able to open my headlights again w/o having to pop my hood....it sucks...makes a **** wanna buy the conversion to exposed headlights
there's a guy at my school that has the non-popup headlights on his bird...

LOOK LIKE COMPLETE ***!! The fitment is HORRIBLE!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

I've been using Meguiars PlastiX and the smaller Mother's Powerball once a month / every other car wash and that seems to do the trick but I think my headlights age quicker cause of my HID lights *shrugs*.

Does anyone know what the name of the Blue Magic chemical? I'm quite curious about it.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ae13291
i have some blue magic, we can use it when i see u next time. lol maybe well do it at the car meet or something
The car meet that Ara never goes to, hahaha....
Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
The car meet that Ara never goes to, hahaha....
hey why dont u go dust off ur engine bay. then u can finally open ur hood for once haha
Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey why dont u go dust off ur engine bay. then u can finally open ur hood for once haha
oh next meet, he is popping the hood, trust me
Old 06-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by benoh
I've been using Meguiars PlastiX and the smaller Mother's Powerball once a month / every other car wash and that seems to do the trick but I think my headlights age quicker cause of my HID lights *shrugs*.

Does anyone know what the name of the Blue Magic chemical? I'm quite curious about it.
im gettin some HID's on my car too, do u also have the fog lights as well?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd recommend taking the headlights out. Takes a whole 30 seconds to do on the Camaros.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
oh next meet, he is popping the hood, trust me
dude he needs the engine bay cleaning mod
Old 06-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

im gettin some HID's on my car too, do u also have the fog lights as well?
Nope, just the low beams. I actually just installed a relay kit for my car cause my car sometimes didn't have enough power to light both lights at the same time. I also heard / read some odd posts about the fogs melting the plastic around and inside the foglight.

... and its socal! We hardly ever see fog; unless you live in Irvine. I swear, Irvine fog is so creepy.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by benoh
Nope, just the low beams. I actually just installed a relay kit for my car cause my car sometimes didn't have enough power to light both lights at the same time. I also heard / read some odd posts about the fogs melting the plastic around and inside the foglight.

... and its socal! We hardly ever see fog; unless you live in Irvine. I swear, Irvine fog is so creepy.
ok thats koo, **** hopefully the relay kit isent needed is it? im already ordereed mine hopefully they will be good

Quick Reply: Tips and tricks to maintaning your headlights