Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Buyers beware!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Buyers beware!!

I was looking at some corvettes on autotrader.com and saw a beautiful c5 vette with an LS7 engine in it for a much affordable price of 24.5k It seemed kinda strange in my opionion becasue that is such a cheap price for that kinda of car and the modification it has. Here is a link to it http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=465

I decided to email the guy and ask him a bunch of questions. here is the email that i sent him

Hi my name is Victor and I just saw your C5 on autotrader.com For the past two years I've been pondering on the idea of getting myself a vette. Ive owned three different muscle cars, two Camaros, and a Trans Am. I want you to know I am a serious buyer and are very interested in your vette. Main attraction ofcourse of your vette is all of the major modifications you did to it. In all the LS7 speaks for itself and that engine on a C5 body there will be some very surprised people. Alright enough of my rant. Price on it is 24.5k right? You have the pink slip for this vehicle right? Also if possible can you send more pictures of the car and pictures of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Also from what I read on the autotrader page, the new engine was bought from GM performance Lafayette Chevrolet and all was installed by Mike Nors @ Next Level Performance. Can it be possbile to send me pictures of those papers and Information of therse businesses? I dont want to see the price of what it cost or any of your information on them I just want to make sure this is a legit vette that I might be buying. I also have to point the fact that I am in southern california, San Diego to be exact, and therefore want to get as much information of the car as possible before flying over there. I appreciate your time. Looking forward to your response.

Victor

Alright a week passed and i just got his response. This is his email

Hi there!

Sorry for the late response; something came up and I had to leave urgently on a business trip. I wanted to let you know that the car is still available. I had a buyer offering $25500 but his loan did not get approved.

I am selling the car for $24,500. The Corvette looks like new, it has never been scratched or wrecked. The car is in great condition inside, outside and mechanically. It will come with a clear title, bill of sale signed by me as well and all the papers (including the original manuals and keys) that you will need to register it under your name. This is what I've got from the divorce settlement, and now I want to sell it because I don't have much use for it and I could use some quick cash right now, rather than waiting for a better offer (selling takes a lot of time too...). So I'm willing to let it go for $24,500.00 and since I only have one, First come, First served.

Although I am not home, we can still make the deal through ebay. I have a purchase protection program with them (Condition Guarantee by Seller Program), so ebay will guarantee up to $20,000 for any vehicle I sell. Shipping is already paid, as I explained, my buyer changed his mind after I have made the arrangements to ship the car. The trucking company would not refund me but can ship the car to anywhere within continental US, so I've left it at their warehouse and it's ready to ship at anytime. Also, this purchase protection guarantees that the car is exactly as I described; basically, once delivered, you'll have 3 days to inspect it at your home and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs.

If you agree with these terms, please email me your shipping name and address so I can start this process through eBay. It is not necessary to be a registered user with eBay to benefit from their vehicle purchase protection program.

I await your email with the requested details

Thanks

Just what I thought, a person who is selling a car that does not have the car so therefore i cant see it myself. He is not at home and therefore the deal needs to be done online. Definately a scam if you ask me. So if any of you guys out there happen to stumble on this corvette watch out.

PS That vette is damn sexy though!!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

more thought out than most car scams... BUT still a scam!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:01 AM
TECH Addict

ive never bought a car from ebay, do they have a buyer protection program like he explained?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes they do, but that 20k isnt enough to cover that car.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

kinda funny this happened to you, i dont know if this is the popular story to use here is my story, my buddy calls me and says dude go to auto trader they have a 06 saleen mustang for only 20k, im like what??? go on there yep there it is, called the guy, and got the same exact story you just told me, im out of the country right now, but the car is at the shipping yard in texas, ready to ship once i recieve at least 5k or something, i called this shipping yard he was talking about, and they have never seen or heard of any mustang being there or on its way, just goes to show you the kind of slum their is out their trying to steal cause they are to damn stupid to try to earn it
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same con I heard going for a Blackbird a few years back.

Have the guy place it on ebay for you, tell him it's to take advantage of the "guarantee". At least that way you can cost him a few bucks.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

haha, seen that exact scam a bunch of times...i swear, these nigerians copy and paste the exact same **** every time.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

why dont u call the performance shop and the shipping company and see if they know about it. looks like a badass car
Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

i wonder whose car it really is then...cuz that is messed up...
Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

I googled that vin and it looks like it came up for another car for sale by a dealer

http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/...1/2/index.html
Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

sold for 31 eh? could be just a corvette VIN #...
Old 06-16-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

i was reading the autotrader scam thing and they mentioned something about calling the police.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hlaalu
why dont u call the performance shop and the shipping company and see if they know about it. looks like a badass car
I could not find any information on that performance shop. Tried different search engines and nothing
Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

yea after seeing that vin number on the other car... what a crook. i hope he gets what he deserves.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Launching!

Can't quite place it, but I SWEAR I've seen that car somewhere on before... maybe digitalcorvettes.com or something?

Definitely a scam!
If I wasn't, I'd be driving that bad boy, right now!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Teching In

I just had the same thing happen to me. I saw a WS6 on craigslist for $2900. I jumped on it and it was a girl selling it because she got it in a divorce and didn't have any need for it. She asked for my name and address and said she wanted to go through Ebay because of the protection plan. (that's when I started thinking SCAM!!) Since it was posted on the local craigslist board I asked if I could come look at it and take it for a spin. For $2900 I didn't care if it had a salvaged title. Anyway she then says that the car is in Florida and Ebay will arrange the shipping. Then I figured it was a scam so I started wasting their time (whoever it is). I asked them if it was still for sale after a couple of days and they asked me if Ebay contacted me. I said no and asked for their address so I could send them cash or a phone number so we could work something out on the phone but they stuck to Ebay and I haven't responded since. Ebay did send me something about winning a bid for a Volvo C70 or something but I deleted it.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

people are such scammers. when i tried to sell my last car i had it on auto trader. a guy emailed me asking for more info. we wrote back an forth a few times, then i get the standard email:
I bought a car that was $10k more than you were asking. The deal fell through but I had a money order already made out, so ill send you that and you send me the extra money
I forwarded the email on to the FBI, internet crimes division, and I told him i did that. i didnt hear back from either of them. I got two more scam offers on that car after that.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Teching In

i got the "im outta the country, but my shipper will pick up your car" so many times when i was selling some cars over craigslist. even when i put "NO SCAMMERS" it never failed. i just clicked the "spam" button. sucks there are people out there that do this **** for a living.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBA_VETT
Can't quite place it, but I SWEAR I've seen that car somewhere on before... maybe digitalcorvettes.com or something?

Definitely a scam!
If I wasn't, I'd be driving that bad boy, right now!
lol i would have gotten it first!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got the story..." im leaving for the service soon and cant meet you to let you see the bike, send payment to www.titlestransfer.com and you have 10 days to check the bike out and if you want it, the title company will send me your money and send you the title..." all this when we are only 80 miles apart... he wouldnt do the cash deal with money in hand...red light said scam!

Quick Reply: Buyers beware!!