Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

California ODBII. WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California OBDII. WTF?

I apologize if this has already been covered. Search didn't pull anything up.

My SES came on this morning on the way to work. As soon as I got off, I headed to Autozone. The guy there tells me that, in accordance with a recent California law, they can no longer offer OBDII scans as a free service. According to him, no auto parts store does starting a couple months ago. He said they don't even have the scanners anymore except new ones for sale.

What the hell happened?

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think he was just ******* with me. Anyone heard anything about it?

Last edited by erasedgod; 09-26-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Self-doubt
Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

wow. im sure cali is looking for another way to make free money.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Yes posted before, no he was not ******* with you, you can no longer rent or barrow the obd2 scanners... Now you have to find a friend with one, or a shop that will hook you up for free.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Jesus. I was really hoping he was messing with me. Can I get a link to the original thread, please?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because that is the main reason i bought my own scanner, too bad your a bit far or else u could have used mine
Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Between the scanner thing, emissions, and the thought of putting a front plate on a 2010 Camaro SS, I'm starting to hate California.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned

too much bullshit stuff like that but its worth it!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Launching!

I have a Hypertech that has a scanner or just a plain old OBD II scanner at my house. I am located in Vista. What part of SD are you in?

Besides, I thought Big Brother couldnt regulate free business, then again...they are going to take over and bail out all the investing companies for $700 Billion!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Launching!

I've got a scanner. I'm in the northern part of SD (UTC / La Jolla Village Drive). I work in Del Mar. Take your pick, and I'll help you out, no problem.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Teching In

I'm right by Poway. I might just pay the shop on Miramar the $10 they want to scan it. It'll save me from having to show my slow, dirty car to people on the board.

Thanks for the offers. You're pretty close, Swede. I might take you up on your offer if I don't get it done tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Maybe my Google Fu is weak, but I can't find anything about this law on the internet. Does anyone have any information about this?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

I was told that because autozone is not a repair shop or even a certified repaired shop, they have no right to use scanners, even for free 'cause it takes busness from repair shops. welcome to comi-california
Old 09-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by erasedgod
Between the scanner thing, emissions, and the thought of putting a front plate on a 2010 Camaro SS, I'm starting to hate California.
I feel the same way until I hit PCH with the t tops off
Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

yep happend a couple of months ago. Just buy one from harborfreight. They have some really cheap ones
Old 09-26-2008, 10:46 PM
EkS
On The Tree

The AZ guy is NOT messing with you. Mechanics were complaning to the BAR that they aren't making any money on the scans, so they did something about it and won.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey erasedgod do you have an iphone? there is a new iPhone app coming out soon with an OBD-II adapter that reads all sorts of **** on your car...you can even read and delete codes...its called Rev and you can check it out at devtoasters.com
Old 09-27-2008, 12:24 AM

erasedgod, just keep your car registered at your home of record. I would never put my cars with CA plates, because that lets cali **** with me. I don't use a front plate. I don't have cats. I have limo tint on my windows. There is nothing they can do about any of it because it is legal in the county my car is registered too. It is kind of a pain in the *** to have to do it all through the mail, but that is better than having to smog my car every year. I only have to smog my car every four years for the Marines, and it is different requirements that are cheaper than the state smog test. I'll probably just do one on the sly when it comes 2011.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Banned

^^^ how do i do that?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EkS
The AZ guy is NOT messing with you. Mechanics were complaning to the BAR that they aren't making any money on the scans, so they did something about it and won.
I can't believe that. It's another case of "**** the consumer".

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
hey erasedgod do you have an iphone? there is a new iPhone app coming out soon with an OBD-II adapter that reads all sorts of **** on your car...you can even read and delete codes...its called Rev and you can check it out at devtoasters.com
I don't. Thanks though.

Originally Posted by FrogHawk
erasedgod, just keep your car registered at your home of record. I would never put my cars with CA plates, because that lets cali **** with me. I don't use a front plate. I don't have cats. I have limo tint on my windows. There is nothing they can do about any of it because it is legal in the county my car is registered too. It is kind of a pain in the *** to have to do it all through the mail, but that is better than having to smog my car every year. I only have to smog my car every four years for the Marines, and it is different requirements that are cheaper than the state smog test. I'll probably just do one on the sly when it comes 2011.
I'm planning on doing that when I get the Camaro. My T/A still has a NC plate from when I was stationed there. They let you renew over the internet and pick the address to send the stickers to.

I'm hoping the dealer doesn't do something horrible like drill plate frame holes (unlikely, I know, but it still scares me) into the front of the new Camaros. I'd probably choke someone... then make them fix it.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by erasedgod

I'm hoping the dealer doesn't do something horrible like drill plate frame holes (unlikely, I know, but it still scares me) into the front of the new Camaros. I'd probably choke someone... then make them fix it.
They probably will, they seem to be pushing it alot more. My dad's porsche had them drilled into the bumper but he found some little plugs to go in them, you can't even notice unless you really really look at it.

Quick Reply: California ODBII. WTF?