What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1999 bbm z28?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1999 bbm z28?

I found my dream 4th gen today. Unfortunatley it is at a Stealership.

It's a 99 Z28 with 132,XXX on the clock in Bright Blue Metallic, Auto, T-tops, Cloth interior, power everything.

KBB puts it at private party value of $5000 in excellent condition and $4000 trade in. What is a real world value of this car? I think they are asking way to much at $7000 but I absolutley love BBM cars and they are rare.

Is it worth over paying for a car like this now or should I just wait until another one rolls around in a more "fair" price range.

Any info is very much appreciated,

Thanks,

~Jim~
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone have any guidance for me?

~Jim~
Old 08-07-2009, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone?

~Jim~
Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said it...stealership

they can price cars like that, unfortunately, because they'll sell

i know around here, a lot of high school punks end up with cars like those...
Old 08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

I hear ya. I hoping I can knock them down a bit then pick it up at a more resonable price. I say resonable but at dealer that word never comes into reality.

Really bad timing for this car to hit the market. It had to come about when I'm throwing money at my other car.

Oh well thanks for the input. Maybe if I'm lucky it'll sit at the lot for a little bit and I can get it from under them.

~Jim~
Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Without examining the car, I'm just taking a shot in the dark, but if it's in even decent shape then $7K is a nice price. BBM is super rare.

I am thinking of putting mine on the market for a good bit more than $7K. It is not only BBM, but it is an M6 stripper so it it doubly rare (BBM + stripper).

Mine has only 59K pampered miles with careful maintenance. It has a lot of tasteful bolt-ons all carefully installed by me. Upgraded hydraulics, fresh clutch, etc. I don't need to sell it, but $12.5K and someone else drives her home.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

TWS: Your cars is aweome. I understand the reason you would want a higher price for your car but 59K miles is far less then 132,XXX.

Like I said this couldn't hit the market at a worse time for me. I have dropped a huge chunk of change on my drag car already this year and there is more to come.

If some one didn't know it was a rare car what would the average market price be for a 99 Z? Granted I know that this is not the case but I guess the dealer may not know what they have on their hands. I'm guessing low do mid 5K?

Thanks guys I really do appreciate the info.

~Jim~
Old 08-07-2009, 05:29 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Jim, thanks for the compliment!

I see some high mileage '99 Z28's going private party for $5.5 to $6.5K, but dealers tend to ask for more.

I saw one BBM car go on Ebay for $7500 and it looked nice and had some upgrades. I was surprised it went that low.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

TWS: Well don't call the dealer and tell them that!

I'm suprised that the '99's are going for that price range with high miles. Usually KBB is pretty spot on with their price estimates.

Oh well I offered them $5500 but I don't think they are willing to come down that far. I'll call them next week and see if they'll take 6K. At this point in time though I would be hard pressed to pay more then that with the '97 sucking up so much of my money.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll be driving my second Camaro in the near future.

~Jim~
Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
TWS: Well don't call the dealer and tell them that!

I'm suprised that the '99's are going for that price range with high miles. Usually KBB is pretty spot on with their price estimates.

~Jim~
LOL. Just going on what I see here, the 12x,xxx mile '99's are usually asking $5500-6000. However, that's what they are asking. I don't know what they are actually getting. Yeah, the dealerships are trying to make a profit or at least cover their overhead. I've seen F-boats priced at local dealers for a lot more than what they are on here.

If you get it, you owe us pictures.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWS
LOL. Just going on what I see here, the 12x,xxx mile '99's are usually asking $5500-6000. However, that's what they are asking. I don't know what they are actually getting. Yeah, the dealerships are trying to make a profit or at least cover their overhead. I've seen F-boats priced at local dealers for a lot more than what they are on here.

If you get it, you owe us pictures.
We'll see what happens this coming week. I'm hoping a nice face to face with a big stack a cash will get the point across. I understand them trying to make a profit and I don't have a problem with that but the fact that they are trying to make such a large profit is what kills me.

I'm hoping I get the chance to show you some pictures. Thanks for the help I appreciate it. Once again beautiful car. I'm very jealous!

~Jim~
Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Default Reality check

A 132,000 mile car should not be a dream car at any price. You are looking at MUCH more in actual costs. This high mileage car was sold for a reason and most likely needs repairs in some form. If not you would be extremely fortunate. Who owned the car? How was it used? How many owners? Any maintenance documentation? It sounds like you have fallen in love with this car which is barely above the financial status of a 'cash for clunkers' car. Look around and get a decent example with much lower mileage. This is a buyers market!! Paying over $5,000 for that particular car is not wise. The salesman and his buddies will be laughing when you drive off.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NC01TA
A 132,000 mile car should not be a dream car at any price. You are looking at MUCH more in actual costs. This high mileage car was sold for a reason and most likely needs repairs in some form. If not you would be extremely fortunate. Who owned the car? How was it used? How many owners? Any maintenance documentation? It sounds like you have fallen in love with this car which is barely above the financial status of a 'cash for clunkers' car. Look around and get a decent example with much lower mileage. This is a buyers market!! Paying over $5,000 for that particular car is not wise. The salesman and his buddies will be laughing when you drive off.
I understand where you are coming from and I probably should have elaborated a little better. The body of the car is my "dream" car. Any thing else attached to the body I could care less about. If I get 15-20K more miles out of that car as it sits it would be nice. I don't look to buy LT/LS cars to drive and enjoy. Almost every car that crosses my path turns into some sort "project". At the very least this car would get a new drive train.

With that said I agree with you 100% that it is a buyers market. I wouldn't doubt if this car came in on the premise of "CFC" but the dealer took it instead. Like I said before this car is one of 1,117 cars made in that color for 1999. Ideally I'd love to find a roller but even 1 year color roller cars go for 3-5K. I missed on the hugger orange roller that went for 5K early this year.

The standard colors for 1999 you can get for around or less than 5K with lower miles but this car is a special case.

I don't have any documentation on the car at this point. I haven't done anything more then a phone call yet.

~Jim~
Old 08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

OK, I see what your thought process is now and I did not know that 'rollers' could cost so much. I'll take your word for it. I would still think and hope you can get this car for $5,000 'out the door' (taxes, fees, etc..). Play hard ball with them. You know they paid very little for the car on trade or at an auction. No one is going to rush in and pay their price. If someone does, then it wasn't meant to be and you will do better elsewhere. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Ya we'll see what happens. The way the car market looks today I don't think any one is going to jump on a car with 132K miles unless they are an enthusiast. Especially with the summer coming to an end.

We'll see what happens. I'm in no rush to get this deal done.
~Jim~
Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be Patient. After it sits on their lot for another 30 days, the price will come down.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Well folks it was not ment to be. I followed up with the stealership today and it seems they sold the car last night. They would not tell me for how much. My guess is $6400.

A link to the cars autotrader ad is included. So TWS I got you some pictures just not the right ones!

Oh well I guess I'll keep my Eyes peeled for another one down the road. Thanks for the information guys I appreciate it.

~Jim~

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

A lot can be hidden in all but the most high res or close up pics, but in those the car looked pretty darn good. I would have given them their asking price. Naturally I would have offered less to see what they would do... but the car looked like it was worth $7K. High miles, but if you want a BBM car...

Jim, too bad you didn't get it. If you want to shoot for a lot lower miles and a hardtop M6... lemme know. Mine would squeeze your wallet a bit harder, but it's well, well worth it.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

I've found alot of BBM cars for sale in a short period of time for the rarity of this color. And suprisingly a bunch or Hugger orange cars as well.

Just found two more BBM cars. Both V-6's. Both are in the $5000+ range. Does this sound resonable?

I'd hate to pay that much for a 6-er though.

~Jim~
Old 10-01-2009, 06:37 AM
10 Second Club

Alright guys I need some more advice. I found another one. V6 97,XXX on the clock. Paint is pretty bad. At best it needs a wet sand and possibly a door sprayed. T-top car has a couple options. I can get it for real cheap. What are these V6's worth?

Everything I'm coming up with says 5000K

Any thoughts or advice? Like I said the paint is rough but the price more then makes up for the crappy paint.

Thanks guys,

~Jim~

Quick Reply: 1999 bbm z28?