What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

question on salvage vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on salvage vehicles

i am posting this for a freind he is interseted in selling his ss and would like to know what a good price on his vehicle would be he has a 01 ss m6 with 67k everything works good and drives great the vehicle has a salvage title but everything was repaired he was hoping to get an estimate on about how much the vehicle would be worth
Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's always tough to appraise the actual value of a salvage-titled vehicle. If I were looking to buy one, then to me it would matter what type of accident caused the vehicle to become totaled initially (if the engine was damaged or if the majority of the damage was cosmedic).

Also, good deals on salvage-titled vehicles are out there, you just have to be careful what you're buying and really know the vehicle history.

Also remember, when the time comes to sell a salvage-titled vehicle, not only will it be difficult to move, but it won't bring the money a similar vehicle with a clean title would bring.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

'Salvage' title cars usually take a big hit. You might need to post this in the 'What is it worth' section of the classifieds. The mods may move it there.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally find a similar car and see what they are asking or sold it for, and divide it by half....that will get you pretty close.

There are MANY people out there (myself included) that WILL NOT buy a salvage car.

Good luck to your friend.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Generally find a similar car and see what they are asking or sold it for, and divide it by half....that will get you pretty close.

There are MANY people out there (myself included) that WILL NOT buy a salvage car.

Good luck to your friend.
x2 i agree 100%
Old 04-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my car 1998 Z28 A4 with 71k on it for $2950 and yes it has a salvage title. It was rear-ended a few years ago and everything has been repaired professionally and nobody can even tell its ever been wrecked. It was great for me because I got a great deal on a car I would normally never be able to afford. But I plan on keeping it and running it into the ground for many years. I would say your buddies car is worth $4-6K depending on its condition and why it has a salvage title.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

I definitely wouldn't say it halves the value. I've sold many salvage vehicles under full disclosure for more like 2/3-3/4 of the full value. Most people don't seem to worry about it as long as you are up front with the damage. My Trans Am is salvaged, but it still doesn't stop me from enjoying it every time I drive it. My car drives as nice as a clean title car, and it runs a whole lot quicker and looks a lot nicer than most.

Quick Reply: question on salvage vehicles