What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Pontiac Trans Am, is this price too high?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Pontiac Trans Am, is this price too high?

Im on my way home from school today, and lately ive been wanting to get a black WS6 98-02 Six speed etc etc. Well what do I see at this used auto lot but that exact car. SLP package, otherwise bone stock, 80,000 miles, six speed, TCS, Ram air, etc etc. The salesman was actually pretty cool, didnt really persuade me at all to buy the car. He told me they can do a finacing option blah blah blah this that and the third. But they want 12,500 for it.
Seems pretty steep to me, specially with 80,000 miles
What do you guys think?
Heres a link

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...C&cardist=5483
Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a pretty clean car. Might be a little high for the mileage, but what dealer isn't? I'm curious to know what SLP package you are talking about though. Also, make sure the radio antenna works, looks stuck up.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Looks like a pretty clean car. Might be a little high for the mileage, but what dealer isn't? I'm curious to know what SLP package you are talking about though. Also, make sure the radio antenna works, looks stuck up.
It does i test drove it, very stout car, way faster then the LT1, fell in love with it instantly, its just that price is too high
Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

"Unmolested" (as they say) f-bodies seem to bring better money these days than modified cars. The problem with a dealer is the sales tax and doc fees add significantly to the price. Also, if you are seriously interested, pull an AutoCheck/CarFax on the car. If it has NO (none, zero, ziltch) paint work and a clean AutoCheck/CarFax, $11,000-$12,000 out the door is not unreasonable. That is only if you plan to keep it stock. If you plan to modify it, look for one that has already been modded to your liking and save a bundle in this economy.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Why do you feel $12,500 is too high? Retail is over $13,000 and the car is on a retail lot. That is the asking price, right? Does the car need anything, like tires, or fluid changes? How is the clutch and tranny? Any maintenance records? All are potential bargaining chips. If all is OK then bring the salesman $11,000 or $11,500 (you decide) cash or certified cashier's check and see if he let's you walk away. Trade-in pricing was about $9,500- $10,000 most likely.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
"Unmolested" (as they say) f-bodies seem to bring better money these days than modified cars. The problem with a dealer is the sales tax and doc fees add significantly to the price. Also, if you are seriously interested, pull an AutoCheck/CarFax on the car. If it has NO (none, zero, ziltch) paint work and a clean AutoCheck/CarFax, $11,000-$12,000 out the door is not unreasonable. That is only if you plan to keep it stock. If you plan to modify it, look for one that has already been modded to your liking and save a bundle in this economy.
One last thing thing that I should've been more clear about ... don't pay for the AutoCheck/CarFax ... !!!! The dealer should provide you with that. I have yet to come across a dealer that didn't already have it.

By the way, if you are not skilled in how to check whether a car has had paint work, please find someone that is to look it over for you.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Why do you feel $12,500 is too high? Retail is over $13,000 and the car is on a retail lot. That is the asking price, right? Does the car need anything, like tires, or fluid changes? How is the clutch and tranny? Any maintenance records? All are potential bargaining chips. If all is OK then bring the salesman $11,000 or $11,500 (you decide) cash or certified cashier's check and see if he let's you walk away. Trade-in pricing was about $9,500- $10,000 most likely.
Needs front tires, they look dry rotted, clutch was tight and let out where it should, not early and not late. Belt squeels, nothing big. Interior is a 10 out of 10. No popular dash cracks or seat rips. Black leather. Its just it seems like a car like this should be bought and kept original, I on the other hand, would want to do the normal boltons (headers, full exhaust, CAI etc etc)
Anyways can you guys do me a favor and give me an estimate on how much i should look to get for my current TA?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/what-wort...-trans-am.html
I was thinking at least 4k
Old 03-18-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Maybe the dealer would give you $4,000 for it as a trade-in?? That is a lot of miles! $7,500 - $8,000 cash plus your car might do the trick. Doesn't hurt to try. You would be gaining 7 model years and nearly 100,000 miles, plus driving an LS1. Nice!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Maybe the dealer would give you $4,000 for it as a trade-in?? That is a lot of miles! $7,500 - $8,000 cash plus your car might do the trick. Doesn't hurt to try. You would be gaining 7 model years and nearly 100,000 miles, plus driving an LS1. Nice!
Welp I went by today and its gone. But im glad I got a general idea on prices for the LS1 WS6's. Thanks guys, im sure ill be posting a similar one again
Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Default Wheel and deal!

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
One last thing thing that I should've been more clear about ... don't pay for the AutoCheck/CarFax ... !!!! The dealer should provide you with that. I have yet to come across a dealer that didn't already have it.

By the way, if you are not skilled in how to check whether a car has had paint work, please find someone that is to look it over for you.
I completely agree. Those of us not making 100K+ a year need to think about the money involved in a build. There are plenty of people selling cars all the time in the classifieds section. I bought my '00 SS off of a guy on there and it is in great shape. Haven't changed a thing since I bought it in early 2009. I bought the car for 12K with plenty of mods on it and already pushin 425 rwhp. I'm planning on doing my own stuff to it soon, but it is nice to have you cake and eat it too, so to speak.
Not to insult your intelligence, but I don't know what experience you have with car dealers, BUT if you are pretty much dead set on getting this car you can always talk a dealer down and he's going to try and tell you, "for that price I aint going to make anything off of it." Good chance he bought that car at an auction for around 5-8K cause some dummy got it repoed or something like that. Don't low ball him cause he'll just blow you off, but make it seem like 10K is all you can really offer and don't let him see how much you want the car cause he'll feed off of that. Car salesmen are scavengers!(No offense to any dealers on here ) I'd say if you can get him down to 11K and you want the car in the condition it's in right now then take it, but be careful with financing! I don't know your credit but if the financing is over 14% for 60 or 72 months then I wouldn't do it... Hope I helped.

Last edited by Marine0311; 03-19-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Where are you located cause this car here is sweet. It is white not black but in excellent condition for 12,5! Only has 28000 miles all kinds of mods and super Kleen!!!! Man if I had the money I'd buy it right now, but this guy only lives a few hours from me. lol

Last edited by Marine0311; 03-19-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I gotta 2001 Navy Blue Mettalic Ws6, 6 speed with 43k on it for $13,500 firm. Just got it inspected for PA, the car is excellent shape IMO and runs awesome...PM me if your interested