What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

30th Anniversery TA, 31k miles, Porcharged...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 30th Anniversery TA, 31k miles, Porcharged...?

Im interested in buying this car but I dont want to over pay. Still has stock clutch. Small crack on passenger door panel which is typical but other than that it appears to be in great shape! Here is the listing:

#69 of 1,600 were produced!

1999 Pontiac Trans AM 30th Anniversary WS6.
It is White with blue stripes and blue rims.
It is an extremely rare car, only 613 6-Speed T-Top Trans Am's were made.
This Trans Am came from GM with the blue stripes and blue rims.
We have all the documentation, title, manual, covers, no liens, etc.
We also have all the original parts that came with the car.
There is approximately 31,000 miles on this car.
There is a 5.7L LS1 Engine with a 6-speed Transmission
Car is in mint. condition, was always Garage kept.

Items the previous owner added into this car:
PS1 Procharger
Inline Fuel Pump
42lb Injectors
K & N Air Filter
Phantom Boost Gauge
Headers, Y-Pipe, and Free Flow Catalytic Converters By MAC
Loudmouth Exhaust & Strut Tower Brace by SLP
LS1 Edit Dyno Computer Tuning
420 RWHP
402 RWT

NEVER RACED, MULTIPLE SHOW WINNER!

OVER $40,000 HAS BEEN INVESTED IN THIS CAR!

He said he wont take any less than $18k
Whats it worth?

Thanks,
Joel
Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$18k is great deal with the mods
Just have to make sure who ever installed them did a
Good job
Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

If you like the mods, then it isn't a bad deal especially if he still has all the original stock parts. The collector community (one day down the road when you sell) will want those stock parts or it will actually reduce the 'collectible factor' by not having them. While not true all the time, most times stock is best when talking collector cars.
For right now, you decide what you want but keep those thoughts in mind.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

too much , get it down to 15 , its going to need a clutch , master cylinder , slave and throwout. At some point it will probably need a rear end . Beat him down with those facts . Otherwise walk away or deal with it and pay it .
Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking he was in the right ball park but I just wanted to check. I'm glad that he has all the stock parts because I am looking at it in long terms as a collector and an investment, but in short terms as a fun car to drive. I would have to sell my current black Trans Am but I think it would be worth the trade in the long run.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

could always buy it and then sell the procharger
Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats just silly. lol I have always wanted a 6spd FI car. Althought it won't make near the power mine does on nitrous since this one is just stock with a P1SC on it. I just do a lot more cruising than racing so I wouldnt mind getting away from the stalled auto. And being a detailer I am really sick of black so it would also be a nice switch to white haha.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just got off the phone with the seller and he is pretty adamant about selling it for $19k. Before I was talking to his daughter and she told me $18k. So there is a little discrepancy there but he says he will take no less than $19k.

Next the only things wrong with the car he says is there is a dime size scratch in one of the stripes on the rear spoiler, and the passenger side door panel just started cracking this winter. Other than that he insisted the car is in MINT condition with no chips on the front bumper or dings or scratches. He knows the previous 2 owners, one was a GM executive and the other owned the speed shop that installed all the mods. He has all the receipts and everything for the work that was done plus all of the original parts in case down the road I ever wanted to return it back to stock.

He also said that he is probably only running 4psi on the procharger because he is babying it. He babies it every time he drives it. Hes 62 yrs old and has owned it for 4 yrs and bought it with 22k miles on it and it now has 35k. It has never seen rain or snow and its always garaged. Apparently the reason he needs to sell it is because he owns his own business and needs to sell it. He did seem pretty cocky about his car if you will. Made it seem like he had "the best 30th Trans Am ever and if you want it you gotta pay for it" kind of deal. He was upselling it in a way that was exaggerated saying that the SLP exhaust alone was $3k is what he was told. Well he needs to do some research because I have SLP exhaust on my car and it was no where near $3k haha. And he kept saying that it had over $20k put into it. But he hasnt changed a thing on it since he bought it and he says he bought it for $25k 4 yrs ago so its not like hes losing money on the parts since they were already installed when he bought it. He also was saying that its the best looking muscle car ever in the history of cars. Theres no doubt its a nice well taken care of car but thats his own personal opinion.

Anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ran the carfax. it all checked out
Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

He is going to be sitting on that car much longer than he thinks unless he gets real lucky finding that one buyer like you that appreciates what he has done. He needs to appreciate your interest and be willing to negotiate, or at least listen. That car is NOT mint with what he stated and with that kind of mileage, prior ownership, and mods. I doubt it seriously. If you are still interested, leave him your number and wait until he calls you back in a few weeks with a lower price. It sounds like he needs a 'reality check' in regards to getting his money back for mods and that not everyone will be banging down his door to buy his car.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with you 100%. Im having him send me pictures of the damages and of the RPO sticker and I will probably make him an offer, but hes not going to like what I offer.

He said he tried to sell it on ebay last year and it didnt sell then either, I think he was asking $20 or $21k last year for it lol
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I have a lot of pictures of it. Ill start w/ the ones that show the defects.

Typical crack in door panel

Faded center panel

Smudge or scratch on stripe

The rest of the pics. On the outside it looks like any other stock 30th.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

He considers that MINT??? Good for you for holding your ground. No kidding the car didn't sell on ebay. He is dreaming. Collectors want really nice 'stock' examples 9 times out of 10. The stripe is a real problem unless a professional detailer can remove it. It would bother me to no end. The bolster in the driver's seat is real rough for that mileage and not very appealling. The door panel crack is bad, not a little one. It just can't be thought of as, "oh well". There are many Trans Ams out there that do not have the cracks that bad. Also, outside wheel weights on collector wheels?? Man, this seller is not aware of the rules of the game. Yes, we are being picky but he welcomes the criticism by misrepresentation. I still think the car is halfway decent as a whole for the one buyer that appreciates the mods he has done and can overlook the flaws. Not collectors though unless they could pick it up for a song. That price needs to come down a bit. $19,000 is way too much. He can ask for the next 15 years until these prices start going up again but even then he will be competing against stock and better examples of these anniversary cars. His would be near the bottom of my list if I was looking. Good luck to you!!

** I just re-read your original post. Multiple show winner??? Must have been some seriously weak competition. I judge at car shows. He would NOT win at the shows I attend.

Last edited by NC01TA; 04-20-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Add-on
Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really appriciate your info! You pointed out a few things I didnt even catch! For instance, the wheel weight, and I seen the seat bolster but I thought maybe it was just dirty but as I look closer it does look worn. I had him send me pics of the RPO code to check the options and its not a true hurst car so somewhere along the line someone just put the *** on. Also the rear panel is really faded for that year and idk how you would fix that without buffing the rest off and then just either painting the logos back on or having some decals made to put on there. The crack in the panel is bad and the best i know to do is to take it off and re-inforce it from the back side and try to hide it as much as possible.

I have owned my '99 TA since 31k miles and about 5.5 yrs and I didnt always know how to take care of certain things but thanks to this forum and others, I learned how to prevent my door panels from cracking still at 78k miles, and my rear center panel has minimal fade, u have to look pretty close, and my seats are not worn, the cushion is a little flattend (has been since I bought it) but the leather is still in great shape. As a matter of fact last time I had it dynotuned they complimented me on it saying mine was by far the best shape f-body they had come throught their shop and they were surprised when I told them the miles.

I think more than anything I want to "rescue" this car from him so I can restore it and try to get it as close to mint as possible.

Nada says it books for $16,225 high retail.
I was thinking of offering him $16k and let him know what I thought and what all it will take to make it a truley mint car.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

You are welcome. Glad to assist.
I think your $16,000 offer would be extremely fair but I have a feeling, from what you described earlier, that he won't even consider it. Not yet anyway. He needs to learn the hard way first unless he gets real lucky.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

No Sale. haha He wouldnt back down off of $19k and still after I told him all the things that needed fixed he still claims it is MINT and those are "Easy Fixes" and you can still get the parts from GM he says.

Well hes keeping the car, and will be for a while at that price Im afraid haha. O well, one to the next one...
Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i were him i wouldn't budge off 18k..

its a rare car, i have never seen one in real life personally, and theirs tons of fbodys floating around. low miles and tastefully modded. those are easy fixes, maybe a couple hundered bucks for a new rear stripe and filler panel, the seat might be a little more pricy, and you can fix the door for next to nothing with reading sticky on how to do it.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by coxta
No Sale. haha He wouldnt back down off of $19k and still after I told him all the things that needed fixed he still claims it is MINT and those are "Easy Fixes" and you can still get the parts from GM he says.

Well hes keeping the car, and will be for a while at that price Im afraid haha. O well, one to the next one...
Good for you. Yes, he'll be sitting on it awhile. Some folks are in denial as to 'condition' or just don't get it. Mint? Yeah, right
Just a quick story: My neighbor and I drove half a day to Lexington, KY from here in NC to see an 'excellent' condition old Lincoln that my neighbor wanted. We both talked to the seller on the phone and questioned him about everything. The photos he sent were not that great and you could not see details. He said we would not be disappointed. When we arrived we could not believe the 'average' condition the car was in. Chips, small dings, badly worn seat, curb rash, the list just went on and on. When we told the seller we were leaving and thanked him for wasting our gas money and time, he just didn't get it. No clue as to what 'condition' meant. This is why you never buy a car sight unseen.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I told the guy that what his "mint" means and what my "mint" means are tood different things and then I pointed out all the little things. But thats ok, he thinks its mint than he can keep it for that price.

*I just seen that he re-listed it on ebay for a buy it now of $20k haha

Quick Reply: 30th Anniversery TA, 31k miles, Porcharged...?