What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2001 Black/Black WS6 6-Speed 23K

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Black/Black WS6 6-Speed 23K

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum, but used to be on LS1.com back in the day!

Thinking about selling my 2001 WS6, and curious as to what it's worth. I'm thinking about moving up to a 06-07 Z06!

My car's basically bone stock minus a couple really small things (lid, filter). Here's the rundown:

2001 WS6
Black/Black Interior
6-Speed with Factory Hurst
Just turned 23K miles
All factory options including the 12 disc changer
Only driven in rain a few times
Always garaged/covered/never seen snow, salt, etc.
Full Redline synthetic fluids (trans, diff, engine, etc.)
No more than 1500 miles between oil changes
Flawless interior, still smells new.
No wear on leather, bolsters, etc.

Mods (super minor):

LS1 Motorsports Lid
Holley Powershot Filter
AIR pump tubing removed & codes edited out of PCM
Skip Shift codes removed from PCM
Basically bone stock

I've had it since 2002. I bought it with about 400 miles on it from someone who had to sell it to pay for his son's college tuition. So while it's technically a 2-owner car, it's really a 1-owner car.

The black paint is basically flawless as I've been super picky about it and babied the car.

Here's a LINK to the PICS!

The only few minor things would be that the stock Goodyear Eagle F1s are slightly flatspotted (just from being stored so much), and the front rotors have the "factory F-body warp" that's slightly noticeable above 60MPH.

Really, the car is a 9.8 out of 10 IMO.

I've seen guys asking ridiculous numbers for these cars, and talked to a few guys that sold their similarly-equipped TAs for $17,500. Most private parties I see pricing their cars from $18-$20k, with dealerships in the $20k plus range (somewhat crazy IMO). I didn't realize these were worth so much! The car books around $15.5k in my area. It seems like the A4 cars just sit and sit, where the M6 cars are more desirable.

I was thinking of asking $18,500-$19k/BO and having a bottom line around $17.5k. Just curious what people on here are thinking! It's tough, because I've literally had the car it's entire life and it was the first car I ever bought myself...so even though I want a Z06, I'm attached to it, ha ha!

Anyway, I'd love to hear some opinions on here.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Teching In

As someone whos selling an 02 WS6 with 20k miles ill give you my advice: Your car is very clean and very low mileage. I would put $18500 on it and let the offers come rolling in. Mines an automatic and I listed it at 17k and ive been offered over $15k for it twice but wont budge that low as I feel even an auto is worth close to my original asking price since low mileage gems like ours are getting impossible to come by these days. And like you, im not entirely sure I can part with it so if I do im getting the full market value of the car. Ignore KBB values they don't factor in everything either like low mileage premiums. Good luck with the sale!

Last edited by 18wheelsofsteel; 06-10-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

It really depends what you will accept as a final price. You can definitely ask in the high teens but it may take awhile. Cars under 10,000 miles can certainly fetch $20,000+ but I have yet to see a 20,000 miles car get close to that. It doesn't seem like a lot of extra miles but it does matter. There certainly is a premium above KBB pricing but $1,500 - $2,000 may be about it. They are not far off on a 20,000 miles car. KBB shows $16,070 'private party' in excellent condition in my zip code. Asking $18,000 (or $17,950) will get you some offers most likely, but as I said, not many will be paying full asking price so it is up to you what you can live with. One negative that you must consider (I certainly do) are the original tires. If someone wants to keep the original Goodyear brand on that car you are talking about $1,000 for a set of tires. Those originals are shot no matter what tread is left. 11 years old is too old and they need to be changed unless the car is being driven under 40 mph to car shows or the grocery store. These tires also factor into the price as will the slight mods. Any mods can be a negative. They are for me and others may feel the same way. If you do sell, best of luck!!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
It really depends what you will accept as a final price. You can definitely ask in the high teens but it may take awhile. Cars under 10,000 miles can certainly fetch $20,000+ but I have yet to see a 20,000 miles car get close to that. It doesn't seem like a lot of extra miles but it does matter. There certainly is a premium above KBB pricing but $1,500 - $2,000 may be about it. They are not far off on a 20,000 miles car. KBB shows $16,070 'private party' in excellent condition in my zip code. Asking $18,000 (or $17,950) will get you some offers most likely, but as I said, not many will be paying full asking price so it is up to you what you can live with. One negative that you must consider (I certainly do) are the original tires. If someone wants to keep the original Goodyear brand on that car you are talking about $1,000 for a set of tires. Those originals are shot no matter what tread is left. 11 years old is too old and they need to be changed unless the car is being driven under 40 mph to car shows or the grocery store. These tires also factor into the price as will the slight mods. Any mods can be a negative. They are for me and others may feel the same way. If you do sell, best of luck!!
So what he is saying is that $17500 would be a fair selling price for you car just like $16500 would probably be a fair price for mine. Though I do think your tire situation sucks because I cant find any flat spots or any other flaws with my F1s at 20k miles.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Teching In

$15,000-$16,000 is typically tops…..particularly for the A6 cars. In fact, if you go onto EBAY and look in the ‘completed listings’ section, you’ll get somewhat of a feel for what people are offering for the 1998-2002 WS6 vehicles. The primary reason $15K-$16K is tops is because that is the maximum a bank or other financial institution will loan….and that is because they use NADA and/or KBB values. The stealership prices are outrageous but they live and die by the uneducated spontaneous buyer so that’s who they’re hoping staggers in. I can tell you that there are similar cars on Autotrader that have been sitting there for well over a year. As NC01TA said, cars under 10,000 miles will fetch a premium because they are still considered a “collectible” grade car. Don’t get me wrong. There are buyers out there who have cash and will pay close to what you are asking but they are far and few. You may just have to be patient.

…..or…..

You could probably sell it to a dealership for $17,000. Using their peculiar valuation techniques, they should be able to turn around and sell it for $21,500 and make a nice little profit, right ??
Old 06-10-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

95_Z_Twenty_Eight, I love your last sentence. Don't you wish that logic followed through??
Excellent post and I am guilty of failing to mention loans many times. Not everyone is a cash buyer and banks won't offer loans in that amount with those premiums attached, which makes the car tougher to sell. Patience is definitely the key to these special low mileage cars. The cash buyers are out there but your car is going to have to stand out to attract them. That's why mods hurt a low mileage car in many instances. The 'stock' buyers just move right over the ad and on to another. I did that very thing when I was looking for my GT/CS back in 2011.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
95_Z_Twenty_Eight, I love your last sentence. Don't you wish that logic followed through??
Excellent post and I am guilty of failing to mention loans many times. Not everyone is a cash buyer and banks won't offer loans in that amount with those premiums attached, which makes the car tougher to sell. Patience is definitely the key to these special low mileage cars. The cash buyers are out there but your car is going to have to stand out to attract them. That's why mods hurt a low mileage car in many instances. The 'stock' buyers just move right over the ad and on to another. I did that very thing when I was looking for my GT/CS back in 2011.
As you might have inferred, I'm not too fond of what I believe dealerships have done to our hobby (just my personal opinion here). It disturbs me to see how they've pushed the prices beyond what most people can spend. To see so many of these cars sitting and sitting and sitting on lots ridiculously priced when they could/should be in someone's driveway or at a car show gripes me. And when I say dealerships, I am also referring to the Barret-Jacksons and Mecums of the world who are really nothing more than glorified dealerships who specialize in consignment and "presentation." They've done wonders for the "collector" who has more money in his/her pocket than I make in a year but for the average Joes of the world, the hobby is on a path to drying up. There is a whole generation of young people who simply cannot afford to even start a car hobby because the prices have become so ridiculous. Things are most certainly a lot different now than when I was a young guy buying cars and fixing them up. Again, not bashing anyone in particular....just my opinion.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Here's a good example: Bidding recently ended on an EBAY listing for a virtually stock 19,000 mile highly desirable SOM M6. Bidding closed at $15,600.

There's also an active listing for a 1999 red Firehawk with 32,000 miles and A6 with minimal mods. The last time the buyer listed it, the bids topped out at $13,000. It's just above $11,000 right now.

These are the realistic "ceiling" prices for these cars.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Ebay cars are not necessarily a good barometer from my many years of experience as many buyers/sellers get together 'afterwards' to make the deals to avoid the insane ebay fees. They certainly can help (like any sales site) but it is not completely accurate. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what Autotrader or Hemmings cars go for, but I know personally many buyers in my car club that pay top $$ for clean stock examples. You won't find those prices posted anywhere. I bought a sweet ultra low mileage BMW from an ebay seller for much more than what 'juvenile ebay bidders' went up to. It was done 'off ebay' and of course no one has any idea.

Quick Reply: 2001 Black/Black WS6 6-Speed 23K