What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Is this a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a fair price?

With the winter rapidly approaching and my DD dying, I've been looking into a GMT800 truck. There's a few in my area that are reasonably priced but this one really caught my eye.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/4141350790.html

Not sure if its worth this much $ but what do you guys think?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how many miles were put on the truck, if it was well maintained and or beat on like a drum because it is a work truck...

A test drive and some history on the truck might help further your decision.

I don't trust any Dodge, Ford or Chevy with over 100,000 miles that is all original when spending close or over 10 grand on, especially in a work truck.. Just my take..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 10-20-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No mileage listed? Odd.

That said, I fear anything that was used as a tow vehicle or a plow vehicle. Those are always worked hard. Kinda like buying a sports car that was only drag raced for a couple seasons.

If it drives okay, the 4-wheel drive works okay, all the buttons do what they should do, the transmission shifts well, etc. and you like it, then I'd say go for it. I wouldn't pay more than $7K for it though. Just my opinion.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Work truck = constant work/abuse

Get it cheap and hope all goes well is all you can do
Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

One of my methods of elimination... The fact that they only post 1 photo would eliminate it from consideration unless they send more. I find that if someone lists 1 or no photos they may be lazy and maintain their vehicle in the same manner. When I sell a vehicle I post as many photos/angles as it will let me. I may be way off base though...
Old 10-20-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Depends on how many miles were put on the truck, if it was well maintained and or beat on like a drum because it is a work truck...

A test drive and some history on the truck might help further your decision.

I don't trust any Dodge, Ford or Chevy with over 100,000 miles that is all original when spending close or over 10 grand on, especially in a work truck.. Just my take..
plenty of work/non work American trucks over 100k on the clock out there...

once they hit 200k then i start to worry about them
Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Crlo
One of my methods of elimination... The fact that they only post 1 photo would eliminate it from consideration unless they send more. I find that if someone lists 1 or no photos they may be lazy and maintain their vehicle in the same manner. When I sell a vehicle I post as many photos/angles as it will let me. I may be way off base though...
You're right on in my opinion.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z Fury
No mileage listed? Odd.

That said, I fear anything that was used as a tow vehicle or a plow vehicle. Those are always worked hard. Kinda like buying a sports car that was only drag raced for a couple seasons.

If it drives okay, the 4-wheel drive works okay, all the buttons do what they should do, the transmission shifts well, etc. and you like it, then I'd say go for it. I wouldn't pay more than $7K for it though. Just my opinion.
im betting 130k on the clock at least. still not a bad truck if it is. give it a drive and thorough look around. definitely check for rust underneath since it was a plow truck.

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Crlo
typically i agree with you but my last 2 CL vehicles have really been awesome deals both were shitty ads with 1 picture and horrible description and after a few emails and phone calls i checked them out on a whim and definitely worth the look.

sometimes the bad ads are good deals because they just dont know about what theyre doing and getting rid of the vehicle for a dumb reason, or other circumstances. my jeep was because they got a subaru forester and the truck was just sitting. the only problem ive had is O2 sensor. (180k on the clock). and the guy sucked at responding back with my emails so i forgot about the ad but because he sucked i guess so did everyone else.

my vette was an old ad with one shitty picture and description, i overlooked the ad and a week later (vette i was going to look at flaked) and i called the guy out of the blue and it turned out he really didnt want to sell it and it was only because he was building a new garage and needed the money.

IMO its always worth the call/look, you never know.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Always be weary of posts that say multiple times how in "excellent condition" the car is in but fails to post the mileage.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Teching In

I would be a little leery due to the fact that it was a plow truck pushing all that wet heavy snow around with a truck does take a toll on them weather you can see it or not. Also these body styles tend to rust really bad in the cab corners and rocker panels and once they go there is really no stopping them without replacing metal. One last thing im not sure how the market is out there but 8500 seams extremely steep for that truck i would say 6500 to 7 tops.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "larger 5.3L eng" and "heavy duty front end" statements make me laugh.

Quick Reply: Is this a fair price?