What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1969 Camaro LSx, what is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Camaro LSx, what is it worth?

I have to get an appraisal for insurance purposes and would like to know what it is worth beforehand. Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay but I just need a ballpark estimate. What should I expect for it when the engine swap is complete?

Full restoration, no rust, soid floors, straight body with nice paint
All aluminum 5.3 L33 engine with T5 5 speed manual
Aluminum flywheel, spec clutch, headers, aluminum radiator, e-fans
Should be around 29mpg and 330hp
Full black interior in good shape
No a/c
Drum brakes front and rear
Power steering

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who are you insuring it through? I have my LS1 swapped 1968 Chevelle insured through Haggerty for $20,000 and it costs me just under $400/year.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Currently Liberty Mutual and its around $700 per year and its not even fully insured, they said to get an appraisal and they would insure it for that but I dont have a price yet. I was also going to talk to Hagerty and State Farm.

Have you had a good experience with Hagerty?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Fortunately, I have not had to make a claim, so am unable to comment about how they are to deal with in case of an accident and my policy only covers "total loss," but in that event they will pay the full value that it is insured for.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

I was paying about $100 per year per $10,000 insured value for my last classic/Collector car.
As for as what you can get for the car is any ones guess as asking prices are all over the place and who knows what some of them actually sale for. 25-35k Maybe.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I had a quote from Hagerty for my SS and they were double the price from what my insurance broker found for me. $15,000 agreed value for $150 per year. That's the same $$ that TT632 is talking about above. No mileage limits, but the car can't be used for DD purposes. That's usually the way these policies work. I would shop around for better rates. United States Liability Insurance Company is the company name of mine. Ask your broker.
As far as your Camaro, you really can't ask here as the prices vary too much. A 'do it yourself' restoration can't compare (or bring the $$) to a professional restoration like the Camaros you see at Barrett Jackson or Mecum. You will need to bring all your documentation (ALL your restoration receipts) to an appraiser who will inspect your Camaro and then will present you with a detailed paper that you can bring to your insurance company along with photos. Remember that appraisals may come in 'high' as the appraiser wants to please his client. You then decide, along with the insurance company, on an agreed value.
Just on a personal note: Definitely get a decent appraiser with referrals. I made the mistake of keeping it local when I lived in FL back in the '90's. He appraised a show quality Bricklin I owned for $24,000. That was just dumb as it was a $12,000 car. Even today you can't get that kind of money for one. A waste of serious money. Expect to pay about $200 at least.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do all insurance companies offer "collector" car insurance? Does it have to be a certain age to qualify for this, Can my 2001 Z/28 go on this insurance? I only drive it about 1500 miles per year. I hate paying so much for never driving it.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I had a quote from Hagerty for my SS and they were double the price from what my insurance broker found for me. $15,000 agreed value for $150 per year.
That is a great price for insurance. I am assuming it is similar to my policy in that it only covers total loss?

Last edited by GimmeLSx; 10-23-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Rephrased question
Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Do all insurance companies offer "collector" car insurance? Does it have to be a certain age to qualify for this, Can my 2001 Z/28 go on this insurance? I only drive it about 1500 miles per year. I hate paying so much for never driving it.
No, many companies do not offer this type insurance. Every state differs as well. NC is a real 'b*tch when it comes to collector car insurance yet other states are a piece of cake. I can not insure any collector car here in NC without it being 25 years old. That's been my experience anyway. I asked about my T/A several years ago and could not get it. I doubt it has changed but I have not asked for awhile. I just have the collector insurance on my SS.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GimmeLSx
That is a great price for insurance. I am assuming it is similar to my policy in that it only covers total loss?
Yes, which is basically any accident nowadays, or theft of course. I believe that many collector insurance companies scoff at these low dollar cars. They are big $$ to us but the companies sweat out the 6 figure jobs, not these $15k or $20k policies. Chump change to them.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
In order to qualify for "collector car" insurance, I believe your car has to be at least 20 years old. I have my Firehawk fully insured for the driving months, and then put storage insurance on it when I take it off the road for the winter.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Good info here thanks for the help. I agree prices are skewed from $20-60k. Looks like I got some phone calls to make!

Quick Reply: 1969 Camaro LSx, what is it worth?