What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Firebird WS6 - 13k Original Miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Firebird WS6 - 13k Original Miles

We came across this pristine 13k original mile 1998 WS6 (red/grey) with original paperwork and docs. Entire car is original save for the flowmaster cat-back exhaust. Tires are even original. Car is a 10/10. Interior floor mats and rocker panels still have plastic on them. I'll upload pictures asap but just wondering where the market is for something like this. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

KBB suggests you can buy this car with 13K miles from a dealer in a range of $7K to $8K.

If the build date is March 1998 or earlier that's a big plus. Those cars used a different mfg method to install the roof panel....and it won't bubble and blister if left out in the sun. Anything from May 1998-2002 has the problem. From what RPMWS6 has stated, April 1998 is the swing month where it might or might not have the issue.

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-11-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
If the build date is March 1998 or earlier that's a big plus. Those cars used a different mfg method to install the roof panel....and it won't bubble and blister if left out in the sun. Anything from May 1998-2002 has the problem. From what RPMWS6 has stated, April 1998 is the swing month where it might or might not have the issue.
Just wanted to add that April '98 wasn't necessarily a swing month but rather a low production month it seems. I just haven't seen (or received reports of) many examples from this month from which to draw a proper conclusion. None of the April cars reported or inspected have had the issue, but not many examples were ever presented. May seems to have been the swing month, as there are some May cars (ones subject to regular outdoor storage/drivers) that to this day still haven't bubbled, but many May examples have the issue. You might find a May car that is OK, but I would just go ahead and consider all the May cars suspect (especially if the car is a total garage queen that's rarely seen the sun, then it's possible that it might have a problem roof that just hasn't shown itself yet.) April is a gamble only based on the fact that there are few examples from which to draw a conclusion.

I agree that March and earlier is definitely in the clear though, and would be most desirable. I would pay significantly more for an 03/98 or earlier F-body than for any '99+ car with its original roof, specifically due to this issue and the cost/hassle involved in fixing it correctly. Most shoppers desire the later model year examples, but not me. As someone who has owned nearly every model year, I don't assign as much value to the other differences/improvements as I do to not having to replace the roof panel. Personal preference I guess.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I also would be in Firebrian's price range, right up to $15,000 if I wanted to buy this car.
I'm not happy about the exhaust either but could live with it or 'fix it' if I desired. The tires are no big deal as I would want to put some fresh new rubber of my choice on this sweet ride.
Blackbridge, please follow up with what transpires here if you would. We like to follow these situations. Good luck if you go for it.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks a lot for the responses. Extremely helpful. We bought this car as a favor realizing the market for these types of cars is always tricky. Here are a few pictures if it helps with condition, etc. The previous owner was a collector and kept the plastic on the floor mats and rockers that came from the dealership...can't say ive seen that before.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks very sweet. Better than I would have expected.

The market for these cars isn't really tricky. Price the car right and it will be gone in the month. With winter bearing down on us it would best to try and get it sold in the next couple of weeks. If not, hang on to it until next spring when buyers will be all over this.

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-11-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

That is a rare beauty there. From the wheels that do not have any pitting to the leather interior that looks like it was never sat in to the fasteners on the Ram Air box, that car is not showing its age.

Good luck to you and please do not cut it up.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Looks very sweet. Better than I would have expected.
I'd say it's right on par with a properly kept example that's 18 years/13k miles old. The slight glossiness of the steering wheel leather (they were almost completely matte when new) and minor discoloration of the brake calipers are consistent with my show-prepped 17k mile '98. Very proper and expected at that age and mileage. Very nice car indeed.

The AC receiver/dryer has no stenciling on the top....so I'll assume that's been changed out.
Mine is mostly worn off as well, but it's still original and properly date coded (2/26/98 on a car with a 3/23/98 build date.) It was much more visible 12 years ago when I bought this particular example, but now would be difficult to see in pictures of a similar angle/distance/lighting. This seems to be somewhat common, therefore not necessarily an indication that it has been changed even at this low mileage. In fact, the '98 LS1 cars had a rubber insulator loop that attached to the inner shock mount and wrapped around the A/C line, and you can see this is still in place on this car per the engine bay picture ('99+ did not have this, or maybe some early '99s did, but my brand new '99 Z28 did not - that car was built in 05/99.) These are often discarded by shops when work is performed that requires removing them - such as A/C component replacement. Additionally, the A/C canister design was updated for MY 2000; the newer ones have a much more "squared off" top edge and flatter top. I don't know how long the older design was still available at the GM parts counter, and/or if any aftermarket suppliers used the older design for longer. Regardless, that is a correct '98-'99 style unit in the picture posted above.

Radiator cap has no writing on it so I'll assume that was lost along the way....hopefully during a fluid change. Some owners never change the coolant on these until they get to 100K miles.
The radiator cap writing is also common to be worn off, but not so common on the low mileage examples. So that does seem a bit odd, but perhaps someone wasn't careful with the cap during a flush as you mentioned, and/or it's not the original cap to that car.

Otherwise, the engine bay looks extremely nice with only some minor dirt or discoloration on the brake fluid reservoir.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the photos. Gorgeous car and worth every penny of $15k IMO.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car, I picked up my 98 Trans Am ( Non-WS6 ) M6 in 2010 that had only a K&N FIPK and Flowmaster muffler as mods w/ 54,000 miles and 2 sets of wheels for $11,200.
You found a sharp looking survivor !
Old 11-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Launching!

She is worth anywhere from $13K to $15K.

Not $30K.

Too bad the car doesn't have the single outlet exhaust, that would make it worth more.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5864996836.html
Old 11-11-2016, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 70T/A400

Not $30K.

Too bad the car doesn't have the single outlet exhaust, that would make it worth more.

Agreed, my car was purchased in Feb. same condition and miles...$12,500
Old 11-11-2016, 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 70T/A400

Not $30K.

Oh my.

Looks like the OP is quite the dreamer in the end, or perhaps they don't really want to sell the car but rather use it as eye candy at the dealer (I have a dealer like that near me, with a couple special interest cars priced so high that they haven't sold in literally 6+ years - they are just there to grab attention at the front.)

It's still one of the nicer ones I've seen in several years, but $30k was MSRP for this car. This is not an example that will be able to command MSRP currently, or probably anytime in the foreseeable future.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I first commented on this thread I didn't realize the guys were dealers. And a day later I was tempted to go back and erase my posts. Why help those guys? They are professionals and do this for a living. I'd rather see a collector get the car at a fair price...ideally from a fellow collector. If I were a potential buyer at this dealership I wouldn't pay more than $9,000 for it....PERIOD.

Fwiw that dealer is only 45 miles from me. I feel bad for the low ball price that the previous owner was likely paid. Yeah, they did it as a "favor" for a friend. KBB trade in value is $6982-$8729. How about them apples? One lucky thing is that KBB excellent private party retail price is $8,603. I'd love to be there the first time they try to explain their $20K difference to a customer...lol.

It will sit all winter for sure as dozens of potential buyers will tell them it's worth a fraction of what they are asking. Looks like KBB revamped their site and the prices are lower than ever...lol. My own stock 18K mile SS is now listed at $6700 trade in value and $7K Private Party sale....about $1,500 lower than what it was listed this past summer. Thanks KBB!

Now let me go back and edit all my previous posts so not enrich the seller in any way. I would urge others to do the same. What's more likely in this situation is the some other local dealers specializing in collector or performance cars will get wind of this and make a deal...maybe. So it may show up next at Napoli Motors in Milford, CT...lol. Another week or two and car season is officially dead here in CT.

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-11-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Favor and market is always tricky, used car sales 101.

Beautiful car and looks ready to run. Love seeing these examples that aren't cut up and modified.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackBridge
We came across this pristine 13k original mile 1998 WS6 (red/grey) with original paperwork and docs. Entire car is original save for the flowmaster cat-back exhaust. Tires are even original. Car is a 10/10. Interior floor mats and rocker panels still have plastic on them. I'll upload pictures asap but just wondering where the market is for something like this. Thanks.
I'll tell you what BlackBridge. The market ain't $29K.

A single post from these guys and they disappeared. That should have been the 2nd clue. Laziness has risen to new heights.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

NO, no don't change the posts. These real prices we are talking about may help a novice buyer that searches the internet for pricing. Erasing the posts just adds ammo for the seller. I'm sticking to my post just in case. Info is a good thing, even if just one person sees it out of a thousand.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

$30k LOL
Old 11-13-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

When I first commented on this thread I didn't realize the guys were dealers. And a day later I was tempted to go back and erase my posts. Why help those guys? They are professionals and do this for a living. I'd rather see a collector get the car at a fair price...ideally from a fellow collector. If I were a potential buyer at this dealership I wouldn't pay more than $9,000 for it....PERIOD.

$9k is as big a joke as $30K, and I don't care what the KBB says. $15-$17k in my market.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KBB does not apply to enthusiast buyer and sellers... it applies to general consumers.

Buying and selling enthusiast cars follows what the market commands... supply and demand.

KBB on my car in Feb. was $9,xxx. Asking price was $17,xxx. I paid $12,500. The inflated price was justified simply... unmodified, no signs of wear/abuse inside and out, no paint defects, undercarriage was spotless, maintenance records, 20 min. from my home.

Dealer and myself spoke openly and realistically on the price and came to terms with the cash sale.

Quick Reply: 1998 Firebird WS6 - 13k Original Miles