What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Having a cam hurt re-sale value?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a cam hurt re-sale value?

Just want some opinions....although I think I know the answer just looking to see what some other people think....
anyway I am thinking about a Cam in my 02 firehawk. If it makes a difference I would probably do a mild set up.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on who you're selling it to. For the non-enthusiast, they would probably be scared off by mods.

If you're selling to another car lover and you can make it clear that you've used quality parts and the labor has been done well, then I don't see a reason why it would hurt your resale.

Just don't expect to get lots of extra money for a modded car.

Go for the cam...definitely one of the best mods out there for F-bodies.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

224/224 is almost standard now. Get one of them.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Do what makes you happy, especially if no plans to sell for a long time, but be aware that you limit your re-sale to a certain type buyer. Modded Firehawks eliminates many potential buyers, especially collectors who prefer stock.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Do what makes you happy, especially if no plans to sell for a long time, but be aware that you limit your re-sale to a certain type buyer. Modded Firehawks eliminates many potential buyers, especially collectors who prefer stock.
right, my main reason for not putting one in sooner is that it is a firehawk. I still have the stock wheels and tires. The only other big mod i have is the headers, of which i think ups the resale value. It also only has 35XXX miles.

I am still leaning towards getting a cam...but the z06 bug has hit me really hard lately and have been mulling over selling the firehawk within the next year.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I deffently wouldn't put a cam in it if you plan on selling it withen a year. In theory a cam may increase the value to the right person but in reality I think it will hurt your chance for a sale. Most poeple will think that it has been run hard all its life if the owner has modded it a lot. When selling it I don't think I would advertise that it has headers either. I would just put "great sounding full exhaust" and only mention headers and such if they ask. The reason is a lot of people won't be bothered by an exhaust system and will still consider it mostly stock. When you say something like "Hooker 1-3/4" LT Headers, Off road Y pipe with rear o2 simulators, and a Corsa catback" unknowing people will think that is a lot of mods and from what I've seen people want to leave it stock or do the mods themselves.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

All true.

Yet, to the right buyer mods are gold.

But, mostly not. People, who don't know much about cars are scared off by modifications.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

take it from me cause I am in the market of buying a new fbody. exhaust and cam are about the only mods I would accept on a car that I am buying. I dont want a full modded out drag/street car i am looking for a DD. A cam especially if it is mild doesn't matter cause I want to do that anyways. as long as it was done right preferably by a shop then I would have no problem buying it. Nitrous is a no no for resale though.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I agree with you about nitrous, that is a no no. I would definitly be doing the instal myself. The only way I would take it to a shop is if I knew the person personally that was doing the work. I think im either going to cam the firehawk or sell it and buy a c6 z06 or a viper in about a year.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Mods can detract from the value of the vehicle, but in my case, I was actually glad that some of the basic mods were already done so that I wouldn't have to fork out the extra money after the buy and the car came with good documentation. Saved me a bunch of time and effort for aditional mods.

Bird
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Launching!

i love my cam and my firehawk, i like the z06 too and was thinking or getting one too but you see them too much now, you rarely see a clean nicely modded firehawk cause there weren't many built. and i like to be unique. as you can see mines modded pretty well and will put a beat down on a new stock z06 and with the mods that are coming look out zr1. Keep the hawk they are becoming harder and harder to find.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shenanigans
Nitrous is a no no for resale though.

Not many people at all will by a juiced car.

I installed it, but never used it. Yet it is all ready to go for a 150 shot, blah.

The cam is just a tad bit bad, for the fact that now the motor has been opened up a bit.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Launching!

I have on 02 WS6 with 2200 miles on it and i had a cam, headers, u/d pulley, ls2 chain and gmmg exhaust put on...rapid motorsports did the work and i kept all of my papers, etc and my stock parts so i can put it back..but i dont intend to sell the car for a long time. I do agree with what alot have said b/c i thought the same thing, a modded car=run to death but its not always true...i just wanted the sound and rumble for rollin thru town...my .02
Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

To be honest I would buy a modded car but it really would depend on the person selling the car. If the guy or gal sounded like they were just an enthusiast and not a racer I wouldn't mind it so much. One thing I hate to see when reading for sale adds is dyno numbers, track times, and does burnouts easy. those words basically tell me some newbie kid own the car and just had fun and now wants to sell his/her problems. If you plan on getting a Z06 in a year just do a lid, exhaust and call it done.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=strokerblackhawk;9962916]i love my cam and my firehawk, i like the z06 too and was thinking or getting one too but you see them too much now

Yeah you really do....and the price on those things are coming down drastically. I saw a used 06 z06 for like 50 grand the other day. So u will start to see even more.

A cam and a stall (its an a4) would logically be my next mod and I think that's what I have decided on. Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think that it would decrease the value at all. However, you prospective buyer list will be considerably shorter.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really shouldn't worry about your next owner of the car, you should worry about its current one. Do what YOU want and what makes you happy when you drive it. You could always sell it on here or return everything back to stock and sell the parts (why would you want to sell a Firehawk anyway?)

Quick Reply: Having a cam hurt re-sale value?