Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Summit Star wheel owners look here please

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Summit Star wheel owners look here please

I just got my 15 x 8 and 15 x 4 Summit star wheels today. I had my tires put on and had them balanced using the internal sticky weights because they don't show. I just tried to bolt up the rear ones and I got them on no problems but once I tried to spin them and they would not spin. The weights are coming around and hitting the calipers. I have already ground my calipers down so that the wheel doesn't hit, I did this when I bought my set of Summit Star wheels that my ET streets are on last spring. My question is should I remove more material from the calipers so that the weights clear too or should I just get them rebalanced and put the weights on the outer lip? What did the rest of you do? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would think just have the weights moved...i don't have the wheels so ive never had that problem but it just seems like the easier thing to do...ask the people that ballance the wheels if it matters where the weights go.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

I personally run with NO weight's it makes it easier not only that but you cant grind to far.....So if i was you i'd just take the weight's off bolt the wheels up and call it a day.....
Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ALLMOTOR346CI
I personally run with NO weight's it makes it easier not only that but you cant grind to far.....So if i was you i'd just take the weight's off bolt the wheels up and call it a day.....
I like to use the car as a weekend cruiser and sometimes a small distance on the interstate. Won't no weights cause a lot of vibration when cruising around?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

^^they probably would cause vibration at higher speeds......just ask the people who mount and balance them if they can be moved....easy as that.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Don't do a dynamic balance. Just do a static and put the weights on the inside lips of the wheels. I've always done that on Welds, just because the stick on weights will hit the calipers if you stick them on the inside behind the spokes.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

I am not sure what you mean by a static balance versus a dynamic balance but you are talking about just puting the weights in the inside lip of the rim just like a normal rim weight but on the inside so they can't be seen right?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
I like to use the car as a weekend cruiser and sometimes a small distance on the interstate. Won't no weights cause a lot of vibration when cruising around?

I do the same with the car as well it sits in the garage during the week and the weekend it's out racing......And as for highway driving/vibrations i dont have any of those feels fine to me......
Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

In a dynamic balance you would put weights on both sides of the wheel. Since you don't want the weights on the outside lip, they change the settings a little and stick the weights behind the spokes. But it is still considered a dynamic balance (balancing both sides of the wheel). A static balance only does the inside lip of the wheel, some "experts" will tell you it is not good to do a static balance because a dynamic balance is more effecient.

But then again here we are sticking 3.5" rims on the front, lol.

A static balance will only balance the back side of the wheel and you only put the weights on the inside lip.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
In a dynamic balance you would put weights on both sides of the wheel. Since you don't want the weights on the outside lip, they change the settings a little and stick the weights behind the spokes. But it is still considered a dynamic balance (balancing both sides of the wheel). A static balance only does the inside lip of the wheel, some "experts" will tell you it is not good to do a static balance because a dynamic balance is more effecient.

But then again here we are sticking 3.5" rims on the front, lol.

A static balance will only balance the back side of the wheel and you only put the weights on the inside lip.
Well that sounds like exactly what I want. I don't mind if the balance is not perfect and if there is some vibration, like you said we are puting skinny wheels on the front, but I don't want it so bad that it rattles the car apart either. I will mention this to the tire place tomorrow when I take them back. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they are the stick on weights just have them move them to the back side instead of the front! Mine did the same thing I just put them on and drove it. it took off a little of the top layer of the weight and self cleared itself (LOL) it drives fine no vibration.

Quick Reply: Summit Star wheel owners look here please