Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

2nd BATCH OF GREG WELD REARS ^LOOK^

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd BATCH OF GREG WELD REARS ^LOOK^

Ok, I think me and probably half of the people on this sit is tired of hearing about the problems associated with the GW wheels. I'm not going to go into great lenghts but (supposively) the NEW AND REVISED rear wheels are out. I spoke with the guys at Jims Racing Tires yesterday and they have about 10 pair of the rear 15x10's in chrome. They were sold out in the polished but had some more expected in early next week. I did purchase a set of the chrome rears and they will be in on Monday. I will keep this post updated when wheels arrive. I have Summit Stars on the rear now with the chrome GW fronts so my rear calipers have been ground. Hopefully these wheels will work.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

greg weld is closed from what I heard..
Old 02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Yep, Greg Weld is closed now. So anything being sold is what they already had made & never got shipped out to retailers.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

can you PM me the number of where you ordered them from, as long as they will fit like a prostar, Ill snag a pair
Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Launching!

will the 2nd batch bolt up to the rears with no grinding?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm kinda doubting this But it would be nice if they worked...keep us updated!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterSS#4302
will the 2nd batch bolt up to the rears with no grinding?
The batch I got on Tuesday will not fit, period and the amount of grinding it looks like the caliper will need looks like it will weaken the caliper.

I have heard that the these rims may fit with LT1 calipers. I actually have LT1 calipers, rotors, and brackets just collecting dust in my attic. Next week I am going to try and see if I can swap them out and see how much grinding is needed. Once I get some pics I'll start a thread and Ill put a link here.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

I talked to the guy today and he said they did fit LT1 brakes, LS1 he didnt know from personal experience...so in other words they are prostars lol.

Also the amount of grinding is rediculous and its pretty scary once the deed is done, but I havnt had a problem yet..and I went through in one spot...

Deffinently not worth it, by the time you spend 10hrs grinding, the expensive bogarts are a better choice
Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Fellows, I dont want to get into a pissing match or get my hopes u broken eithor. But from what the owner of my source said is that this is the "newest" batch of wheels and it does have the re-designed inner hoop. Supposively, he is the only one in the country with these wheels. He personally told me that these WOULD fit my car with NO GRINDING. However, I have already been a victim of failure 2 times with the GW wheels. The first time was when I received the polished front wheels in last year. I dont know about you guys but it looked like someone polished them with a orbital sander with about a 80grit flapper wheel. They absolutely looked like ****.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magnet
greg weld is closed from what I heard..
You heard right. But did you also hear that they had been purchased and that the wheels are not going to change. The new name of them is "Phase 2"
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Here we go again
Would love this to be true but am highly doubtful!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Failthread.

Greg Weld is out of business.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrobusa
Fellows, I dont want to get into a pissing match or get my hopes u broken eithor. But from what the owner of my source said is that this is the "newest" batch of wheels and it does have the re-designed inner hoop. Supposively, he is the only one in the country with these wheels. He personally told me that these WOULD fit my car with NO GRINDING. However, I have already been a victim of failure 2 times with the GW wheels. The first time was when I received the polished front wheels in last year. I dont know about you guys but it looked like someone polished them with a orbital sander with about a 80grit flapper wheel. They absolutely looked like ****.
Sounds to me like someone is tryin to offload overhead on you. But thats just my opinion. Cause why would this guy be the "ONLY" guy in the country with the GW rears that will fit. Sounds like he is feeding you a line of **** to make a sale.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Sounds to me like someone is tryin to offload overhead on you. But thats just my opinion. Cause why would this guy be the "ONLY" guy in the country with the GW rears that will fit. Sounds like he is feeding you a line of **** to make a sale.
Agreed COMPLETELY. Contacted summit racing because I was curious about if the 15x8 5.5" bs wheel and if they'd fit over my LT1 rear brakes. They had no idea. They also had no idea as far as shipment status like when they received the ones they currently have in stock, etc. So who knows, it sounds like its just a rumor if the biggest retailer in the country of these wheels can't even verify if the 'revised' wheel was even ever released. The guy on the phone did say that he would accept a return if I bought the 15x8s they had in stock and tried them on the hub without mounting a tire to them. So its cool they're taking returns, even though they're on clearance. I may place the order this weekend and take my chances. I currently have an LT1 rearend under my car with the calipers 'modified' to fit a 15x10 7.5" bs weld prostar. I'll report back if I decide to try it and have success in the next week.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nitrobusa
Yeah, and Greg Weld themselves promised me the rears would fit when I ordered them, and they didn't. Dude that's cool if they are in fact the redesigned wheels, which I highly doubt they are, but I think someone is just trying to dump off their inventory on you since they can't get rid of them.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is your car in running order? Hell if so, I'd drive it there, and if he and yourself are both confident enough, have everything mounted, balanced and installed right there in the shop. That's IF you (especially you) are confident they will fit. If the guy is telling the truth, AWESOME, if not... boy I'd love to see the look on his face when they won't even slide all the way on.

Either way, best of luck, and keep us informed.