Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Lightest and best looking streetable drag rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lightest and best looking streetable drag rims

Ok yall i have decided i am gonna go with drag rims but i havnt yet seen any that i like i want something that looks good and i can fit alot of rubber in the rear without having to do alot of work to the wells but also be light weight and i dont wanna run an extream skinny up front i still want streetability with these.

whats yalls suggestions and please post up pics if you have links to them or if their on your car.

Thanks in advance
James
Old 03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Clearance in your wheel wells is going to depend on your tire of choice. Not your wheel. For a streetable drag rim, you have quite a few choices, depending on whether or not you want to grind your brake calipars.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
Ok yall i have decided i am gonna go with drag rims but i havnt yet seen any that i like i want something that looks good and i can fit alot of rubber in the rear without having to do alot of work to the wells but also be light weight and i dont wanna run an extream skinny up front i still want streetability with these.

whats yalls suggestions and please post up pics if you have links to them or if their on your car.

Thanks in advance
James
Drag wheel/street wheel, which one do you want?

I run chrome snowflakes with a 255 M/T drag radial. They work ok for me. They are one of the lightest F-body wheels, they hook at the track and ride great on the street.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I have not put my new ones on my car yet but I am pretty sure they will look nice.

Weight is also not great, but they will clear the brakes easily, even big front brakes. They seem beefy enough for street use.

They are CCW 17"x4.5" fronts and 16"x10" rears.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Lightest and streetable drag rims" are not words that are meant to be put in the same sentence. Drag wheels are not designed for street use period. If you want a street wheel, welds new street style 15's are rather nice. They are not to be confused with a drag wheel though.

Check Camaro396's pictures to see what the rears look like. They look very nice. I don't think the fronts will be a good choice for the F-body due to the 1.5" backspace and interference issues with the fender lip, but that is to be seen I suppose. No one has ever liked their skinny wheels to stick that far out in all years I've been on these and other F-body boards.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok when you start talking about back spacing and stuff like that treat me as a beginner because im not 100 pecent sure of what all that is, i know back spacing is how far out the rim will set but how far can i go without running into problems with the fender lip.

I run the chrome snowflakes on my car right now but i was wanting something that was lighter and looks a little more aggressive, Rampant what style and brand are those rims and hoe wide is the front i like the look of them. you said weight isnt real great but how heavy are we talking are they lighter than what i have now?

Also i figured id get some flak for using drag rims and streetability in the same sentance but its what i want to do and i want something that will be best for m choices as i can get.

Also it was mentioned the type of rim i go with depends on if i wanna grind my rotors by that yall mean them scraping the rim or what? What is the largest rotors i can run with drag type rims?

also im not sure if this would matter but i have my car lowered 2 inches would this make a difference with the rims i run?

Last edited by usaf_hess; 03-24-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:55 PM
FormerVendor

For a front wheel, I wouldn't go less then 1.75", we set on the F-bodies a minimum of 1.75" up to 2" for stock components.

For the guys using aftermarket drag components, we are able to go deeper up to almost 3" depending on the wheel style.

Generally speaking, I've never heard of someone stating they actually liked a wheel that sat further than 1.75" on the stock setup. It will stick out and look funny compared to deeper setups. Some may use less but only because they are stuck since the wheel manufacture they chose doesn't offer anything else.

I'd suggest talking to the manufacture that offers what you want. If they can't help you, then it may not be someone you want to invest your money in for their products.

I probably wouldn't bother investing too much in your setup. You're lowing streetability for your car. Braking, steering and everyday driving will be far worse than the stock configuration. Drag racing benefits aren't going to be that great either. Pick up a set of summit stars if you want a street setup and only want to look like a drag racer so you're not breaking your bank. Going with larger rotors isn't going to help you at all...you'll just skid more.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Default drag set up

Thanks in advance
James
I have the 15 x 3 summit sport slot polished in front, and the 15 x 8 with a 5.5 backspace in the rear. Very inexpensive and I have a thin spacer in the front. No grinding! 275 50 15 in the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Lightest and best looking streetable drag rims-wheels5.jpg   Lightest and best looking streetable drag rims-wheels4.jpg   Lightest and best looking streetable drag rims-wheels3.jpg   Lightest and best looking streetable drag rims-wheels2.jpg   Lightest and best looking streetable drag rims-camaro-morning-2.jpg  

Old 03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok to the SLP gu i am not sure why i am getting such blunt answers like your refferring to m not investing to much money in my setup i appreciate your help with this and our replies but what i want to do is have a set up of wheels and tires i can run on the strip and also be able to drive on the street with decent characteristics, of course i will have a different set of rims and tires for everyday use but this car isnt gonna be an everyday ride so to speak.

yeah i will drive it but it wont be everyday and im not looking to be on a road course with drag rims again i will have a different set p if i ever wanted to do that. As for braking i want better than stock brakes jst cause i dont like brae fade and it can happen with the stockers and if i do ever wanna go to a road course i dont wanna have my pads catching fire on me.

I am also going to be going with a spohn k member up front along with the tubular upper and lower a arms if that makes a difference, i want this car more straight line fast than road course but i do wanna stll have fun with it if i wanted to.

With that said again what tpe of rim would you reccomend i dont want a uper skinnie up front but something that is far lighter than the stockers.

Bracketracerz28 thanks for yor reply sir.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

I'm not trying to come off harsh. I see folks asking all the time for something everyday usage...least expensive...lightest weight...this cannot be accomplished with one product.

It's like buying a set of all season tires. In comparison to summer tires or winter tires, they are generally are not in the same league and really poor in both circumstances.

If you're running street wheel for normal everyday use. Pick up a set of light weight drag wheels when you want to drag race. It doesn't matter if you're drag racing on the street or the strip, the drag wheels WILL give you the best benefits for drag racing. Its a matter of how much more performance do you want?

You suggested that you want a k-member to lose weight. I completely understand the logic. They can save you ~25lbs of weight. A good modification. What you and others overlook are the fact when you choose a heavy 15" street style wheel since you want it to do everything...you leave yourself short.

For example, so you want a street style 15" wheel...by using them you're leaving 50-75 lbs of converted mass on your car!! If you ONLY choose our wheels, and did not purchase a K-member, you'd save yourself money/time AND you would have lost MORE weight in the end. In my opinion there are no k-members on the market that are as street-duty minded as a stock k-member. So what is the new definition of street duty setups??

Everyone wants an all around setup or they are trying to do something "different". It's simple math as to what works best and what doesn't. I'm attempting to offer you support for your questions. Even though you're not interested in supporting our products we design and manufacture. I do think it would be best for you to pick up the phone and call the manufacture of the products you're considering so they can assist you with your specific questions.

What you're considering is in my opinion not a very good setup. Regarding brake fade, upgrade the rotors and pads at most. Fade won't be the issue, it will be skidding on a skinny wheel that will be your new problem. This is my opinion of course. As long as you're happy with it in the end, that is all that matters.

You really need to call a few manufactures, it is too difficult to discuss all what you're asking for without writing a novel as I am doing...lol Luckily I type almost 85 words a minute. Sometimes its too hard to get a point across though without sounding "blunt" or other. It's all how the reader wants to read into the post I suppose.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

So you want drag wheels that are strong, light-weight, and do not want skinny's. G/L, let me know when you find some.

If you want light wheels, they are not going to be as stong as some heavier ones.

If you don't want skinny's, they are not going to be as light as skinny ones.

If you want strong wheels, they are not going to be as light as some weaker ones.

You chose what you want, drag wheels or street wheels. I would suggest some Bogarts with shinny's up front because they will give you the best performance in a strait line. Then take the risk of driving them on the street until you can put on your "street wheels."
Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

To the SLP guy By no means was i tring to step on your toes i do appreciate your help in this matter you are giving me great information, i do want drag rims specifically for drag use on the street or strip mainly strip but i do want them to be able to drive to places with ok characteristics i dont wanna be trying to turn corners and not be able to. By no means am i taking shots at SLP or am i trying to not support yalls gear SLP makes great stuff i just havnt looked at your rims yet.

To the other guy as for a skinny i understand go light weight you need a skinny but what i mean is i dont want a 3 inch wide rim up front what are the widths for skinnies. If i have to go that skinny i will.

Also i will have a different set of rims or "everyday" street use that i more oten than not wont use on the drag strip but drive every day with and possibly if ever at a road course.

So i guess to rephrase what are my choices for the lightest and strongest drag rim with an aggressive look that will give me enough drivability to somewhat get me safely to and from the track till i get a trailer and be decent to possibly go mess around on the street with without having understeer(im not trying to roadcoarse with drag rims all).

Also this has not been addressed yet am i going to e able to run a good size tire in the rear with the use of a BFH while being lowered 2 inches or do i need to redo my suspension. If its even possible what woul it involve or cost to tub one of these cars just slightly i wouldnt mind doing it if it can be done for a decent cost(i nderstan its gonna b expensive) i probly dont even need to do it but im ust asking.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Regular

How about a Billet Specialties 17x7" up front and a 15x10" in the rear. Since your lowered, go with a 26" tire and roll your fenders, you should be ok with that set-up. You may not be losing much weight with these wheels, but you would probably be better off driving on the street.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I'm not trying to come off harsh. I see folks asking all the time for something everyday usage...least expensive...lightest weight...this cannot be accomplished with one product.
Sadly to say we cannot have our cake and eat it. Some of the lightest rim are soft and will bend if you hit a speed bump or pot hole too hard. Even a tire changing machine can bend them.

They are made for taking a car down the 1/4 mile and back to the pits, thats it.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well i appreciate yalls replies and i will keep an eye on this thread to see if any other suggestions come out of it and i will look into the ones already made.

Thanks again for yalls help with this.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Bogart road race wheels
Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Commander i have to say i like the look of those wheels those are the bogarts in our sig? if so PM me the details if you would the cost size and where to get them and all that.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Commander i have to say i like the look of those wheels those are the bogarts in our sig? if so PM me the details if you would the cost size and where to get them and all that.
They are 15x4 in the front and 15x9.75 in the back. My receipt is at home, but I got the full set from Texas Speed, who I'm not sure if they still sell them. They are the drag wheels which I do not drive on the street with.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ybaslo1
How about a Billet Specialties 17x7" up front and a 15x10" in the rear.
Interesting... Anyone running this setup?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
Interesting... Anyone running this setup?
I know there is a black Camaro that is running this set-up. I forgot where I seen the pictures though.

Quick Reply: Lightest and best looking streetable drag rims