Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Wheels & Tires
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Wheels & Tires
Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks
Sponsored by
TireRack
Click Here

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to wvaboy
Default bias ply vs drag radial

few questions.

1st car is a 6sp and i know not to mix the two. car is putting down a little over 500rwhp and is approx. 3600lbs without me in it.
2nd i will not be towing the car, i have to drive it to the track. one track is about 12 miles away, second is about 40 miles away.
3rd setup i'm looking at is 16x10 rears

is there a reason to go with bias over radials? good friend said radials wouldn't be bad considering m@h makes a 275 drag radial.

is there a reason to go one way or the other?
any pros or cons of each?

thanks
rob
wvaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12

+1 on wanting to know this
Old 03-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

any help? has to be a million peeps on here that has tried radials then switched to bias ply, vice versa, for one reason or another.

will the bias ply be unstable at high speeds? (boat motion)
why go with bias ply over drag radials......60ft times only?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9
Send a message via MSN to 94lt1m6 Send a message via Yahoo to 94lt1m6

I'm wondering this as well. Someone chime in.

430/430
12.6 @ 115

^No longer accurate, but the only solid info I have.
94lt1m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
FormerVendor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

radials you can get rather good results but you'll have to heat them up quite a bit. Bias ply, tires are lighter which is a definite plus. Do a search, I know people discuss this stuff all the time.
SJM Manufacturing Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc View Post
radials you can get rather good results but you'll have to heat them up quite a bit. Bias ply, tires are lighter which is a definite plus. Do a search, I know people discuss this stuff all the time.
searched 6 pages bias ply vs drag radial, no answer

searched 4 pages bias ply, no answer

most were radial vs radial or which tire to put on rim. i did find one post that said this wasn't discussed much.

was trying to find someone who had both and could help with pros and cons of each. i didn't know bias ply was lighter

if i go bias ply should i put a tube in it? can i take it down the interstate at 130 or 140 without fear of swaying and wrecking?
i don't think these are bad questions to ask before buying and then hating them.

obviously i'm not the only one wanting to know a few answers.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to 021less

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvaboy View Post
searched 6 pages bias ply vs drag radial, no answer

searched 4 pages bias ply, no answer

most were radial vs radial or which tire to put on rim. i did find one post that said this wasn't discussed much.

was trying to find someone who had both and could help with pros and cons of each. i didn't know bias ply was lighter

if i go bias ply should i put a tube in it? can i take it down the interstate at 130 or 140 without fear of swaying and wrecking?
i don't think these are bad questions to ask before buying and then hating them.

obviously i'm not the only one wanting to know a few answers.
i would not even attempt those speeds on the street on a bias ply slick. It will be all over the place and at those speeds correcting could be dangerous. Mine is a 6 speed and i run m/t et streets. Last pass i made on the spray it nearly put me in the wall when i hit 4th, but lifted a little and straightened out. I was running my normal 285's up front. Just got my skinny's with m/t bias ply tires for the front, hopefully that helps a little. Driving them on the street to and from the track isn't bad just pump them up around 30 psi, but it still will sway a bit around turns, just be careful on them. i haven't run any of the radials so i can't help you there. Just be prepared to fight it a little in the 6 speed.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
10 Second Club
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

Send a message via AIM to ndfrsd6

ok been there done that .......i went low 1.5's ave 60ft on the 275 mt radial and went through 2 12 bolt ! the slick will be much easier than the radial on your drivetrain and it will be much much easier to get the 60 ft dialed in TRUST me .
go with the slick you will not regret it and get another set of street rims to drive to the track with

www.ls1speed.com

10.25 @ 130.18 w/1.40 60FT. N/A (race weight-3090) sold

track results of new setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHUgbVBMwH4
ndfrsd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
10 Second Club
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

Send a message via AIM to ndfrsd6

also your car will be much more consistent on the slick over the radial

www.ls1speed.com

10.25 @ 130.18 w/1.40 60FT. N/A (race weight-3090) sold

track results of new setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHUgbVBMwH4
ndfrsd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

it would have a skinny up front, but it will also be going to 1/4 mile track where the car "should" run 128 to 138 mph. so i just wasn't for sure what to expect.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
FormerVendor
Garage is empty, add now

Tires are consumables. If you've never tried either style, pick one and choose another the next time. You'll get a season out of each type...this way you can make you're own best choice for what works best for you.

I wouldn't go those speeds on any highway fwiw. Leave those type of speeds for the track where there is more control from outside stimuli...even something like a rabbit crossing the road could be bad.
SJM Manufacturing Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7

Sorry, but this thread is just bad... no straight answers and no straight explanation as to why a car will almost hit the wall on bias ply slicks...

1. Okay, if you're running a bias ply on the rear and radial on the front you're a dumbass.

If there is ONE thing that a bias ply rear needs is a skinny bias ply on the front....

2. Bias ply tires are NOT intended for roll racing on the highway.... and they're not designed to make turns at high speed. They are designed to go straight for short distances, i.e. 1/4 mile.

If you want to make a local cruise on on your drag pack, no problem.

3. A stick car is violent due to the sudden clutch engagement. Therefore, a DR is not going to provide the best launch, a bias ply will. M&H is probably the best tire for a stick car as they seem to soak up some of this energy so the suspension isn't shocked quite as bad...

There are guys that were cutting 1.5s on a MT that changed to a M&H and are now cutting 1.4s....

4. I'm also running a 16" rear as I was NOT going to grind my calipers... dangerous if you ask me, especially on a street... I went with a 26x11.5x16 M&H Cheater Slick... which is the same compound as their drag slick, but it has grooves and is DOT approved...

So, the cops can't send me home for driving on public roads with them...

I hope this helps actually answer some of your questions. And yes, the SEARCH FEATURE SUCKS for some reason... I don't know what they changed with it, but there is definately be MANY more redundant threads now... Thanks ls1tech!

Good luck.

Last edited by ATLSS; 03-28-2009 at 11:00 AM..
ATLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSS View Post
Sorry, but this thread is just bad... no straight answers and no straight explanation as to why a car will almost hit the wall on bias ply slicks...

1. Okay, if you're running a bias ply on the rear and radial on the front you're a dumbass.

If there is ONE thing that a bias ply rear needs is a skinny bias ply on the front....

2. Bias ply tires are NOT intended for roll racing on the highway.... and they're not designed to make turns at high speed. They are designed to go straight for short distances, i.e. 1/4 mile.

If you want to make a local cruise on on your drag pack, no problem.

3. A stick car is violent due to the sudden clutch engagement. Therefore, a DR is not going to provide the best launch, a bias ply will. M&H is probably the best tire for a stick car as they seem to soak up some of this energy so the suspension isn't shocked quite as bad...

There are guys that were cutting 1.5s on a MT that changed to a M&H and are now cutting 1.4s....

4. I'm also running a 16" rear as I was NOT going to grind my calipers... dangerous if you ask me, especially on a street... I went with a 26x11.5x16 M&H Cheater Slick... which is the same compound as their drag slick, but it has grooves and is DOT approved...

So, the cops can't send me home for driving on public roads with them...

I hope this helps actually answer some of your questions. And yes, the SEARCH FEATURE SUCKS for some reason... I don't know what they changed with it, but there is definately be MANY more redundant threads now... Thanks ls1tech!

Good luck.
thank you! by far the most helpful!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

I'm 524/501, and had MT DR's on my M6. The MT's are great for an A4, but forget it on a M6. I would continually bang the rev limiter. I put on Hoosier QTPs. which hook much much much better, but are really squirelly up top. I do have radials up front which could be contributing to the rear instability. My buddy who has run straight Hoosier slicks for some time claims that you get used to it.
'00 Z28-HK Racing 408, Callies Dragonslayer Crank & Rods, Wiseco Pistons, AS Stg 2 5.3L heads, Comp XER 244/248, FAST 90 intake, NW TB, Lingenfelter 100mm MAF, Racetronixs PNP, SVO 30#, March pulley, TH400/RMVB/Transbrake/Ultrabel/42,000GVW cooler, Fast Toys lid, Jet Hot headers ORP, Hooker cat back, Denny's Nitrous DS, LS1 Edit, Strange 9" center sec./Detroit soft locker/3.50 gears/Moser housing, Hoosier QTP's, UMI K member, A arms & reloc brac.UMI control arms
bigdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
60, bias, cons, drag, front, fronts, ft, lowered, ply, pros, radial, rear, slick, street, switched, versus