Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel/Tire Chaos!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel/Tire Chaos!!!

Im looking to change my tires and rims. Im sure there are alot of sets out there for the track. Im curious to know what setups work for you guys and girls? My main reason is because every time I hammer down at the track all I see is smoke and there goes the other guy........ VROOOOM ~~ ~~ Down the track. A NEW ONE!!! More than once buy stock f bodies.

I have a stock weight
2k1-Z28
A4
LS1
cloth interior
3:73 rear
Stock trans ratio
stock suspension
Stock, Stock, Stock!

The problem is that the rims and tires I have now weight a ton!!!!
18X9.5 Steel/Chrome plated Z06 wheels. And Michelin Raptor Z rated tires.

I want to lighten the wheels as much as possible but keep the muscle look. BUT MOST IMPORTANT I want to speed off the line without spinning. Im thinking about track bars too. Let me know what works for you. Any suggestions welcome. =)
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine, no grinding, no spacers. Old School look to boot. (was missing some center caps in these pics) Rear slick is a 27x10.5x15 MT

Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Teching In

It looks good man. I like your look. How much time do you think I can shave off with slicks?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Launching!

in all seriousness, check to make sure your throttle body is openeing all the way when you floor it, you'd be surprised!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by therealthatguy
in all seriousness, check to make sure your throttle body is openeing all the way when you floor it, you'd be surprised!
He stated his issue was traction, not a throttle problem.

You can shave a good amoutn depending on your driving skills. I know on my street tires I'll spin thru 3rd easy on the street & on my slicks I hook before I'm outta first gear. I have yet to get a pass on them though. I got a few more things to get done before I go for a new best.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, what kind of track, straight or do you have to turn occasionally?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Saturn5
First off, what kind of track, straight or do you have to turn occasionally?
This is a drag set-up. If your wanting autocross wheels you definetly dont want drag wheels. Some drag wheels can be driven on the street others recommend against it. I drove on mine for about 2 weeks before swapping then off just cause I had never owned a set before & wanted to get a feel for them.

A puffy slick on the highway is a unique feeling. Took a while to get used to & you cant corner hard on the skinny fronts either. I would slow down far more than on my stock wheels for corners.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Yea, The chaos is in the traction on the track. "Drag Strip" 1/8th mile.
The car has the stock 7.5 10bolt rear and a 373 gear. I would like to keep this a budget build for the street/strip. I also have a 100/shot. The car DOESN'T HOOK AT ALL w/o nitrous. It will spin even when I pedal It out past the 60/ft marker. I was hoping the gear would help my wholeshot time/60ft but it doesnt. This purchase for a stocl rear limited slip did not prove itself to be better than stock with a street radial. When I get my next shopping list started Im just looking for an inexpensive DRAG slick. Not to be street driven. Maybe this will cure my spinning trauma. =)
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all you need is any rim with any "DRAG RADIAL" mickeys bfgs toyos and a nice burn out.

since your all stock no need to buy a wheel for the track only. do what most of us do and buy 255/50-16 mickeys for the original 16in wheels and toss them on when your gonna race.