Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

GTO spare

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO spare

ok the debate has gone on forever. i would like the guys that have used them as front skinnies to post.

how do you like them?
would you do it again?
what front tire are you running?

thanks

and for the haters.
please dont post. i dont care that they are spares. i dont care the say temperary use only. i dont care that they are speed rated (which is just the stock rubber not the rim.

just please. if you dont have first hand experiance or that your firend has them. please dont respond.

i did a search and every thread always turns into "they arent made for that" well I DONT CARE about that.

thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look noob, there is a reason every thread always turns into "they arent made for that" thread..it's because..

They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt patternThey are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern They are the wrong bolt pattern
Old 09-22-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

putting that aside.

I think the gto is like 120mm and we are like 120.65 mm.

Not certain though.

I did some searching around here and quite a few people have run 120mm on our cars with out an issue.

Look up like RPM 505 and EVO wheels. They are 120mm if i am not mistaken.

That would be a pretty cool idea, my buddy has considered doing this with his goat.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

ok so explain a little more please

The bolt pattern on a GTO is 5x120mm
The bolt pattern on the 4th Gen is 5x120.65
There is .65 mm difference.
so why do guys with 5x115mm run 5x4.5 witch is 114.30mm. this is .70 difference.

please explain better.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it's a pretty smart thing to run the wrong bolt pattern when you're drag racing at high speeds, and in some cases bringing the front end off the ground.

Gotta love how some people will totally disregard other peoples safety just so they can save a few bucks.

It's the wrong bolt pattern dude. Would you switch your spark plugs around? No because it's the wrong fire pattern then. Would it still run, yes, but you can also force the wrong bolt pattern on your car. So why would you wrong other combos on your car that are wrong?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Yeah, it's a pretty smart thing to run the wrong bolt pattern when you're drag racing at high speeds, and in some cases bringing the front end off the ground.

Gotta love how some people will totally disregard other peoples safety just so they can save a few bucks.

It's the wrong bolt pattern dude. Would you switch your spark plugs around? No because it's the wrong fire pattern then. Would it still run, yes, but you can also force the wrong bolt pattern on your car. So why would you wrong other combos on your car that are wrong?
i am not trying to cheap anything out. but ahve you seen .65 MM. i have more slop in my stock rims with my stock bolt hole pattern then this. just get a hub sentric spacer for both and call it a day.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
i have more slop in my stock rims with my stock bolt hole pattern then this.
Yes and that's why your lugs have the tapered cone on the end to match the cone seat on the wheels. Once bolted up everything is in alignment. That .65 may not seem like much, but it will not allow the lugs to seat properly against the wheel causing them to loosen.

just get a hub sentric spacer for both and call it a day.
A hubcentric spacer does not fix this. Those are used when the center bore of the wheel is larger than the hub circle.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a headache so I'm not even going to get into it. Infact, yes it is a great idea. .65mm is for bitches. I think you should do it. Anyone want to to trade my Alumastars for GTO spares? I'm making the switch.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
ok the debate has gone on forever. i would like the guys that have used them as front skinnies to post.

how do you like them?
would you do it again?
what front tire are you running?

thanks

and for the haters.
please dont post. i dont care that they are spares. i dont care the say temperary use only. i dont care that they are speed rated (which is just the stock rubber not the rim.

just please. if you dont have first hand experiance or that your firend has them. please dont respond.

i did a search and every thread always turns into "they arent made for that" well I DONT CARE about that.

thanks
Even if you put aside the bolt pattern issue, there is the hub bore issue, but lets set that aside also.

I HAD them on my firechicken for exactly one day. They look like crap, the offset is all wrong. I used to have a few pics, but believe me it ain't pretty, safe or worth the trouble and effort. I went down this road already. Bought a set of the 5 spoke GTO spares, ditched the tires and put M&H skinnies on the rims, with metal valve stems. Be warned, the GTO spares have the words "TEMPORARY USE ONLY" cast into them. Some tracks probably won't say anything (ATCO), other tracks might not let you run on them (Island??, they have a pretty thorough tech). The M&H skinnies are not cheap, probably about $320 for the set. The GTO spares aren't freebies either. I took the time to grind all identifying marks off the wheels (the Temporary Use only marking, GM casting and part numbers etc), filled the grind marks, sanded, repainted them and used them at ATCO for one session (not season, but session, 12 runs total). The look like crap on our cars unless you start playing with spacers and such. I wouldn't drive on a public road for any distance with them. In my opinion the GTO spare/with the factory tire has no place on a dragstrip and then with the M&H tire is only marginally better (fitment issues aside). If I had to do it all over again, I'd save the money and buy a set of CCW's. At least then you know you are safe. FWIW the GTO spare/MH tire combo is about 15-18lbs lighter per side (maybe more) compared to my WS6 wheel/275/40/17 tire combo if I remember corrrectly.

Again, save the cash, the time, the money effort. Be safe and buy a real racing rim. It may sound like a broken record, but I was like you and decided to see for myself and I tried to do it as best you could. Good tires, metal stems etc etc etc. But the rim is just not right for the car.

How's that for first hand experience.

There used to be pics up here, but it looks like the links are dead now?

http://www.davemilcarek.com/121507/p...5-R1%20108.htm

Don't do it.

Chris
Old 09-22-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Do it right, or don't do it.

GTO wheels do not fit properly. I don't care if you CAN force them on and get them bolted down. When your wheel comes off a midtrack because the studs sheered off from improper side loading, I'll laugh at your dumb a$$ being hosed off the pavement.

If you still want to run them knowing it's not safe - go for it. People do stupid stuff every day. Why should you miss out?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
Even if you put aside the bolt pattern issue, there is the hub bore issue, but lets set that aside also.

I HAD them on my firechicken for exactly one day. They look like crap, the offset is all wrong. I used to have a few pics, but believe me it ain't pretty, safe or worth the trouble and effort. I went down this road already. Bought a set of the 5 spoke GTO spares, ditched the tires and put M&H skinnies on the rims, with metal valve stems. Be warned, the GTO spares have the words "TEMPORARY USE ONLY" cast into them. Some tracks probably won't say anything (ATCO), other tracks might not let you run on them (Island??, they have a pretty thorough tech). The M&H skinnies are not cheap, probably about $320 for the set. The GTO spares aren't freebies either. I took the time to grind all identifying marks off the wheels (the Temporary Use only marking, GM casting and part numbers etc), filled the grind marks, sanded, repainted them and used them at ATCO for one session (not season, but session, 12 runs total). The look like crap on our cars unless you start playing with spacers and such. I wouldn't drive on a public road for any distance with them. In my opinion the GTO spare/with the factory tire has no place on a dragstrip and then with the M&H tire is only marginally better (fitment issues aside). If I had to do it all over again, I'd save the money and buy a set of CCW's. At least then you know you are safe. FWIW the GTO spare/MH tire combo is about 15-18lbs lighter per side (maybe more) compared to my WS6 wheel/275/40/17 tire combo if I remember corrrectly.

Again, save the cash, the time, the money effort. Be safe and buy a real racing rim. It may sound like a broken record, but I was like you and decided to see for myself and I tried to do it as best you could. Good tires, metal stems etc etc etc. But the rim is just not right for the car.

How's that for first hand experience.

There used to be pics up here, but it looks like the links are dead now?

Don't do it.

Chris
thank you.

this is what i was looking for. thank you for giving me a good answer and not it just wont work.

Quick Reply: GTO spare