Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Silver SS 10 Spokes convert to LE 35th wheels ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Silver SS 10 Spokes convert to LE 35th wheels ?

I just want to know if anyone here knows how to make the silver ss 10 spokes into the 35th le style wheels?.... what tools, paint, etc... or a link to a write up on how to ? thanks
Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I seen a few guys on here who have done it. I will try to find the post.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Launching!

i tryd a search didnt find any pics ,..........anyone ?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Launching!

To get it 100 percent, youll need to get them painted black, then bring them to a shop that has a cnc lathe that can fit a 17 inch wheel in it, and get them to program the design in to have the face machined. After that, you will need to get 4 LE center caps from the dealer. They are discontinued but should still be able to get them. I'm currently working on a set of c5 zo6's that I'm going to use as drag wheels to match my black/machined face zo6's. I dont care about them matching perfect so I'm painting them black, taking a dulled down flap wheel to clean the paint off the face, and clear coat it. Much more cost efficient since getting the face machined will cost $$$
Old 10-30-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
To get it 100 percent, youll need to get them painted black, then bring them to a shop that has a cnc lathe that can fit a 17 inch wheel in it, and get them to program the design in to have the face machined. After that, you will need to get 4 LE center caps from the dealer. They are discontinued but should still be able to get them. I'm currently working on a set of c5 zo6's that I'm going to use as drag wheels to match my black/machined face zo6's. I dont care about them matching perfect so I'm painting them black, taking a dulled down flap wheel to clean the paint off the face, and clear coat it. Much more cost efficient since getting the face machined will cost $$$
That's one way, this is the other.....

If you strip the silver paint there is a machined finish underneath already. I have done this before on my last SS. I had the spokes stripped and polished (i wanted them a lil different) then taped off the parts i wanted to keep polished and painted/cleared the rest. I then used chrome center caps to match the polish and black caps for the lugs. They seems to be popular as i had multiple requests to replicate them for others. I sold that car last nearly 2 years ago and I still have people asking me about making converting their rims to the LE look.

to this....

Is not that hard and drawn out, it is actually fairly simple as the machined finish is already there you just have to expose it with the use of a chemical stripper. Also remember to paint the inside of the drum, it looks retarded without them black.

There are what mine looked like before I applied the black outline "SS" decal to the center caps.

Last edited by djsanchez2; 10-30-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Launching!

I have stripped a few different gm wheels and never found a machined face under them. That's pretty cool that they leave the face machined for these wheels. Was the machining on all your wheels even? I feel like knowing my luck, I'd end up with the wheel that had a tool bit break on the lathe and there would be some uneven scoring in random spots.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the best way is to machine the face as posted before, even though there is already a machined finish underneath the paint, it is a PITA to strip the paint off. What ever u do dont bead blast them if u want to save the machine finish. I had tried stripping black paint off my 10 spokes before and in a couple spots i went too deep so i had them bead blasted and it took off the machined face.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Launching!

thank you im going try it soon... what kind of chemical striper should i use ?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
I have stripped a few different gm wheels and never found a machined face under them. That's pretty cool that they leave the face machined for these wheels. Was the machining on all your wheels even? I feel like knowing my luck, I'd end up with the wheel that had a tool bit break on the lathe and there would be some uneven scoring in random spots.
Yes it was, I heard rumors that the machining was under the paint so I gave it a shot and bingo, there is was. As for the stripper, i took it to a local powdercoater and he charged $20 a wheel to strip and polish them. So it should be relatively cheap to only have them stripped.

Quick Reply: Silver SS 10 Spokes convert to LE 35th wheels ?