Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

caliper grinding??? how much ?? and a few other questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default caliper grinding??? how much ?? and a few other questions..

so im picking up my prostars tomorrow afternoon.
15x10 rear
15x3 Front

i know the calipers have to be grinded down. but how much do they need to be grinded down? also is it necessary to use spacers? the guy im getting them from said you could use them but wasnt necessary to use them.....

i searched and cant really find to much on it.
any help would be greatley appreciated.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Here is what i did- 1998 formula. I bought arp wheelstuds through jegs (the 2.5 length), new lugs, and on on 5-16ths spacer. All this is for the front. On the rears, i will have to grind on on lot, but due to a lot of safety concerns, i found it to my advantage to spend 700.00 and buy the aerospace component rear brakes. They havent come in yet, but my engine builder said they will fit no problem.they havent arrived yet but when they do, i will post up and let you know how they did. My next problem is the rears are 15x8s with 4.5 backspace. They stick out on on little far imho so when i order my rear prob will shorten to make up for the offset. I paid 600 for wheels and tires so cant complain
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dave D
Here is what i did- 1998 formula. I bought arp wheelstuds through jegs (the 2.5 length), new lugs, and on on 5-16ths spacer. All this is for the front. On the rears, i will have to grind on on lot, but due to a lot of safety concerns, i found it to my advantage to spend 700.00 and buy the aerospace component rear brakes. They havent come in yet, but my engine builder said they will fit no problem.they havent arrived yet but when they do, i will post up and let you know how they did. My next problem is the rears are 15x8s with 4.5 backspace. They stick out on on little far imho so when i order my rear prob will shorten to make up for the offset. I paid 600 for wheels and tires so cant complain
yeah im getting mine in a trade...prostars for zr1's

im not to worried about grinding the calipers as i dont drive like a maniac.also the car goes to and from work and its all freeway (no traffic @0400) and the little bit of city streets i do drive is all 35 or slower.

and track use i go once a month if that.... everywhere else we take the wifes car....she hate my SS haha

i found a grinding 101 post..... so it doesnt look like it'll be to bad to do the grinding
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're still gonna need more than that crotch rocket dave lol
Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Thats cool. I put the rears on to see if they would fit, and to see how much grinding it would require. It seemed like even the bracket holding the caliper needed to be ground down. I almost fit the fronts with pt no pot spacer but when i went to tighten them down they rubbed. So thats why i did the spacers. I still am kicking around doing the aerospace in the fronts, but 800 is on on big pill to swallow. Took it for a ride and even with the spacers was rubbing. I realized that needed to center my spacers as they rubbed on the brake caliper causing the noise. Once i centered them, they were great! Running the 15x4 with on on 24 mickey et street and my ws6s in back with the 275 drag radial until i can get the backs done. I think i will order the 26 in. Sportsman because sits too low in front with the et front 24 inch tires in front. You should be ok with the ground calipers; i read about two failures on here causing both cars to be totaled at the dragstrip, so thats why i went with the brakes, and will be running mine this spring at the track
Old 01-26-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search to find my thread about my bad experience with trying to get Prostars to fit my stock brakes. I ground completely through the rear caliper and it was still rubbing. This was with a 15x8 wheel, which is supposedly easier to fit than a 15x10. And yes, I did check fitment very often. It was still rubbing right where I ground through.
The fronts were a snap, 5/16 spacers and 2.5" ARP studs.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Weird I got my 15x10 to fit just fine on the back with some grinding....
Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Teching In

I just got done with mine.. And may I say.. Holy ****.

I got metal stuck in my skin, and I thought it would never end. I swear I put the wheel on atleast 50 times trying to figure out how much more I needed to grind.

Fronts just need a spacer. Rear is a fail! Run a spacer on the rear also
Old 01-28-2011, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
Do a search to find my thread about my bad experience with trying to get Prostars to fit my stock brakes. I ground completely through the rear caliper and it was still rubbing. This was with a 15x8 wheel, which is supposedly easier to fit than a 15x10. And yes, I did check fitment very often. It was still rubbing right where I ground through.
The fronts were a snap, 5/16 spacers and 2.5" ARP studs.
I read your post, thats why I went with the aerospace brakes. Havent arrived yet, but from what I hear they fit no grinding.

Quick Reply: caliper grinding??? how much ?? and a few other questions..