Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help With Fikse FM10

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Fikse FM10

I picked up a set of Fikse FM10s and I'm trying to get them looking good. I don't know where to start though. There seems to be some etch marks on them.

How do you get these off?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im pretty sure youll have to strip them if it is clear coated. my center caps are like that to so im in for ideas
Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok those are going to need alot of work to be perfect, i have never done a set of fikse but have done many rims , sure you will have to start with stripping the clear, if they are cleared.which i dont think they are, and you will have to do alot of sanding,alot ! you will for sure need some metal compounds,and a great polish like adams, what i use to polish something that bad is a pc,dremel,buffing wheel, air tool etc, if your located in northern ohio i would be more than happy to help you out, i would do it for free just to work on a set of fikses lol,also a guy just did a set of fm5s on here maybe read that thread and get some ideas on how you wanna do that , also when you start and if you need any help or have questions just shoot me a pm ,or ill shoot you my number. there is one place that sells a great polishing kit for this ill try and see if i remember what the name is,but im sure autogeek or whatever that site is called will have something perfect,good luck man, keep us posted,there is alot of us on here that have done projects like this so im sure we can get you tons of info to get those looking perfect

Last edited by BOBS99SS; 09-26-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: added a point
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

I just fixed some fm5's that were in pretty bad shape. What I did is stripped the clear with aircraft remover and then started sanding the faces with 220 do get all the marks off of them. Then went to 400 grit to 600 and so on till I got all the way to finish with 3000 grit sand paper. I put the outer rings on a lathe to sand them the same and get the curb marks out of them and then I just started polishing with a mothers cone and finished it by hand. All and all it took me about 6 hours per wheel. If u take them apart just mark them so u can put them back together where they were and use loctite on the bolts and torque them to 15 foot pounds. I also just took a wire wheel to the inside barrels and it cleaned them up really good. Good luck and if u have any other questions u can pm me
Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

So far I have stripped just one.They came with painted gunmetal centres and I have used aircraft stripper to remove that.

I tried to use some Mothers polish, and it has definitely helped the marks, but they're not yet gone. I do have some rouge and a buffing wheel in the basement, so I will try using that before I break out the sandpaper. If I do, I'll follow the steps you laid out Rob. Thanks to both of you...I might send you a PM if this doesn't work out.

Here is how the wheel started. It's almost not worth the effort to go polished.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. Spd-Kilz is going to like your user name BTW.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lethal bird
Looks good. Spd-Kilz is going to like your user name BTW.
Oh ****! I am Spd-Kilz. Just realized I was logged in under this account. I got this one, but never use it since I don't want to start form a 0 post count again. Oops!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a little test of some wet sanding. This is 800>1000>1500>2000>Polish. It will work, but it's going to take a lot of time. I'll consider it a winter project.

I hope I don't need to say which spoke is before/after:

Last edited by Spd-Kilz; 09-26-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

well i see you finally got yourself a pair of FM-10s.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

These are going on a LT1 camaro right?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by my bandit
well i see you finally got yourself a pair of FM-10s.
Finally

I'm glad to see yours have come along nicely!

Originally Posted by wysemunky
These are going on a LT1 camaro right?
Yes sir! These are my all-time favourite wheels, but I'm not a huge fan of these on Corvettes. So by default, they're going on the LT1. I think the wheels are worth more than the car. Hmmmmm.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

what sizes are they? I thought they looked pretty good with the gunmetal paint plus I bet it would be easier to keep em clean painted especially on a DD.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

what sizes are they? I thought they looked pretty good with the gunmetal paint plus I bet it would be easier to keep em clean painted especially on a DD.
17x8 & 17x9

They did look good gunmetal, but it drove me crazy knowing that they were painted. It would be nice to powdercoat them, but I've dumped enough money into this car this year. You're right it's more simple to keep clean, but it shouldn't be much of an issue. I'm a clean freak. I will clean them often.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

that seems like the sizes of mine. except the rears are 9.5, i just havent had a chance to strip them and i havent figured out what color i want. how much did you pick them up for?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the problem areas aren't real deep you might could get them out with NEVR DULL or steel wool.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

If the problem areas aren't real deep you might could get them out with NEVR DULL or steel wool.
Not a bad idea. I'll give it a try. I might just need a more aggressive compound. I'll try that on the other 3 wheels. I took some 800 grit to one tonight. I think most Fikse owners would have a heart attack seeing them in their current state:

Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, trust me there have been wheels i have done that i went way below 800, those did look good painted but i agree painted is gay lol, chips etc are such a pita and seems like every time you wash your car you have to paint your rims, a wheel that nice should be powdercoated,

Quick Reply: Help With Fikse FM10