Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Advice on Drag wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Advice on Drag wheels

Hey guys. I am looking for some advice on what drag wheels to get. My car is the turbocharged car in my sig making some decent power. I am looking to run a 315 size tire on a 15" rim so I was thinking about getting some 15 x 10 rims. Something with a beadlock would be nice but not necessary probably as I am looking for some that will not break the bank. What are some of you guys making big power running for wheels? Thanks in advance.

Edit : I just found the race star wheels in some other threads and thought I would ask about them? They seem like nice wheels at a cheaper price and it seems some high HP cars are running them with success. Anybody personally run them and how do you like them?

Tyler

Last edited by tording99Z28; 10-23-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just my opinion, but the Racestar wheels I am not a fan of. I don't like the idea of their "one bolt pattern fits all" design like a 1960s Cragar would have. They use an offset washer to center the wheel on the hub. Some feel safe going 150+ mph on a wheel knowing a set of washers is the only thing centering the wheel on the hub, but that just doesn't sit right with me. The wheels do not meet SFI specifications. I'd suggest looking into the Weld Racing RTS wheels. They come in black anodized or mirror polished finishes, are offered in diameters including 15", 17" 18" and 20" and widths from 3.250"-15" and are SFI 18.1 and 18.2 certified, as well as being 100% streetable. The best part about them, is that they are AFFORDABLE. Those folks with Weld Racing really did their homework on these wheels
Old 10-23-2011, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for your input. I did not know that the Racestar wheels did the one pattern fits all thing. I agree with you, I don't know that I feel comfortable going very high speeds on something like that. The Weld RTS wheels do look nice so I can go with those. I see that they come in 10.275 wide, will that work on our cars with a 7.5" backspace and stock length axles?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Thanks for your input. I did not know that the Racestar wheels did the one pattern fits all thing. I agree with you, I don't know that I feel comfortable going very high speeds on something like that. The Weld RTS wheels do look nice so I can go with those. I see that they come in 10.275 wide, will that work on our cars with a 7.5" backspace and stock length axles?
Yes sir, they will fit perfect. Just make sure you get the medium pad height both front and rear if you're still using OEM LS1 brakes.

Front:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-71MP-504B15A/

Rear:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-71MP-510B75A/
Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking for a drag wheel, our Bogart wheels are the lightest direct fit wheel on the market. Ours are more expensive but they are a lighter drag race wheel which will leave your car stopping quicker and will reap better race times. It all depends on your budget and goals. I'm not sure welds RTS wheel is considered a drag wheel...I think its more of a street/strip wheel maybe Camaro396 could elaborate better. The first wheel you were looking at I wouldn't consider a drag wheel either.

Just because a wheel is 15" doesn't make it a drag wheel. A drag wheel is designed to remove as much weight as possible for racing benefits.

Our fronts tuck in the fender well deeper with backspace options up to 2 vs. the aforementioned 1.5" backspace front wheel.

Let me know if you have additional questions or comments regarding our Bogart products

Steve
Mechanical Engineer
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Captain Double Post

its hard to beat the weld rts, there just a killer wheel, pics do not do these wheels any good, in person they look very high dollar. i saw a black ss with 17s with 11 inch rears at a car show and man did they look killer, i would put them up there easy with the more big buck rims. they are put together very well for the price tag
Old 10-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Captain Double Post

members rides
By http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9163/27010320542247529521164.jpg[/IMG]
By
bbobbs99ss at 2011-10-24p://profile.imageshack.us/user/bbobbs99ss]bbobbs99ss at 2011-10-24
By bbobbs99ss at 2011-10-24
Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Captain Double Post

By bbobbs99ss at 2011-10-24
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 AM
Captain Double Post

By bbobbs99ss
By
bbobbs99ss at 2011-10-24 at 2011-10-24
Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That last camaro looks SIICK. I'd love to know a little more about that wheel/tire setup... I have C5 vette wheels on it now, but I'm looking to put together a setup for next summer.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Weld wheels are another alternative though there are differences in our Bogart wheels as indicated above. Pay attention to the front wheels, in my opinion they stick out too far, this is due to the small backspace. You'll typically see images with the wheels turned as it looks better. When you straighten the wheel, it looks like you see in the first image in post #7. I'm not bashing the products, I'm pointing out differences that some may overlook.

Roninsonic, those wheels you like are on a shortened rear end. If your rear end is not shortened, you will not be able to get that look. I'll assume you like the dishing as that is what is quite different. Here's are a few similar examples with a shortened rear-end.
Notice how the front wheels tuck differently.

This is how your car would look with a rear end that is not shortened: Notice the rear wheels how the dishing is not as large. This is due to the fact the rear end is longer (stock length). A large dish will not work with the stock rear length.

Last edited by SJMMFGINC; 10-25-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my Bogart welded RT's from SJM. The Bogart's are an extremely light setup.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

Bogarts are great products and Steve has great customer service. You really can't go wrong with either wheel. Just depends what you're after. I can say that we do not have a direct fit bolt on Drag wheel for LS1 f-bodies. The bolt on direct fit wheels Weld offers for the 94-02 F bodies are a street strip wheel. They are SFI cert'd, but are also built with the street in mind, so they are not as light as a all out drag wheel. They still weigh in fairly light, about on par with a Prostar wheel. Much lighter than the knock off Summit/Jegs wheels, and I believe a hair lighter than Greg Welds. I went with 17x4.50" Alumastar fronts with my Camaro, and the 15x10 Weldstar RT rears to clear the OEM brakes in a 15" design.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
If you're looking for a drag wheel, our Bogart wheels are the lightest direct fit wheel on the market. Ours are more expensive but they are a lighter drag race wheel which will leave your car stopping quicker and will reap better race times. It all depends on your budget and goals. I'm not sure welds RTS wheel is considered a drag wheel...I think its more of a street/strip wheel maybe Camaro396 could elaborate better. The first wheel you were looking at I wouldn't consider a drag wheel either.

Just because a wheel is 15" doesn't make it a drag wheel. A drag wheel is designed to remove as much weight as possible for racing benefits.

Our fronts tuck in the fender well deeper with backspace options up to 2 vs. the aforementioned 1.5" backspace front wheel.

Let me know if you have additional questions or comments regarding our Bogart products

Steve
Mechanical Engineer
Well I guess maybe I should re-state what I am looking for. I am looking for primarily a drag wheel but would like something that if I had to for some reason or wanted to I could run them on the street without fear of damage or anything like that. As far as I know the Bogarts are not street friendly right?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Captain Double Post

bogarts,welds, its a win win, i have known lots of guys run bogarts on the street with no issues, i mean even my pro stars have taken alot of abuse on the street and there fine, i dd on them all year . if your looking to do more street time than track time i maybe would just get a nice set of street wheels, i love the drag set up but its a pain if your going to driving on them every day
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

camaro396, did you have to do any modifications to run those rears (minitub, ect? That setup looks GREAT...
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I have a couple of Bogart d6's in a 3.5"x15 that I would like to sell if your interested. They clear oem brakes.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Bogarts are great products and Steve has great customer service. You really can't go wrong with either wheel. Just depends what you're after. I can say that we do not have a direct fit bolt on Drag wheel for LS1 f-bodies. The bolt on direct fit wheels Weld offers for the 94-02 F bodies are a street strip wheel. They are SFI cert'd, but are also built with the street in mind, so they are not as light as a all out drag wheel. They still weigh in fairly light, about on par with a Prostar wheel. Much lighter than the knock off Summit/Jegs wheels, and I believe a hair lighter than Greg Welds. I went with 17x4.50" Alumastar fronts with my Camaro, and the 15x10 Weldstar RT rears to clear the OEM brakes in a 15" design.

im curious!!! How does the 17" front runner drive and turn corners compares to a 15" like is a alot better or just a little bit? car stability? i would think its gatta be a little bit better having a thinner sidwall? im glad i found this picture because this is exactly what i am in process of building. Hmm...
Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Neither. A skinny front runner regardless of the diameter, since it uses a small thin tire, it is not going to give you any of the handling characteristics that even a stock wheel would give. In addition, braking performance will suffer.

It is futile to install a skinny wheel on the car if you want anything but to drag race. ...the only other reason would be if you wanted to look like you had a drag racing car.

The idea of using a skinny wheel is to reduce friction and weight advantages....nothing else. It comes down to how much weight do you want to save, what racing performance gains do you want?

We can build many diameters...from a 15" up to a 17" skinny to directly fit your car...we can build them all as either a drag wheel, street strip wheel or a road race wheel, but if you wanted the car to handle well and still use a skinny front wheel, its not going to happen. I would say don't bother unless you just wanted the car as mentioned to "look" like a drag car.

The idea of using a 17" skinny wheel over a 15" skinny wheel is mainly due to the fact you can't use anything smaller due to interference issues. By using a 17, its going to be heavier, tire choices are worse and racing benefits will suffer. Once again though, if its the only thing you can fit...then you have no choice. About the only other reason to choose a 17" wheel is you think it looks better...but that will do nothing from a racing performance standpoint.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
Neither. A skinny front runner regardless of the diameter, since it uses a small thin tire, it is not going to give you any of the handling characteristics that even a stock wheel would give. In addition, braking performance will suffer.

It is futile to install a skinny wheel on the car if you want anything but to drag race. ...the only other reason would be if you wanted to look like you had a drag racing car.

The idea of using a skinny wheel is to reduce friction and weight advantages....nothing else. It comes down to how much weight do you want to save, what racing performance gains do you want?

We can build many diameters...from a 15" up to a 17" skinny to directly fit your car...we can build them all as either a drag wheel, street strip wheel or a road race wheel, but if you wanted the car to handle well and still use a skinny front wheel, its not going to happen. I would say don't bother unless you just wanted the car as mentioned to "look" like a drag car.

The idea of using a 17" skinny wheel over a 15" skinny wheel is mainly due to the fact you can't use anything smaller due to interference issues. By using a 17, its going to be heavier, tire choices are worse and racing benefits will suffer. Once again though, if its the only thing you can fit...then you have no choice. About the only other reason to choose a 17" wheel is you think it looks better...but that will do nothing from a racing performance standpoint.
i understand what yur say but i gaurantee ur ganna get a different feel with a 17 than a 15. just curious if its drastic or nothin much?

Quick Reply: Advice on Drag wheels