Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel Dilemma.. Fabulous..

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Wheel Dilemma.. Fabulous..

Well, I got my 17x9.5 17x11 black zr1s in yesterday, wheels look great. I jacked the car up by the rear end and put it on stands and checked the driver side for fitment. Wasn't touching the bumpstop bracket but was really close to it and looked like it would defiantly rub once the 315 nt05 was mounted. Checked the passenger side and it too was about the same. So I called a local tire shop and asked "How much would it be to get 4 tires mounted and balanced, and possibly some grinding and hammering if needed?" He said 60 and it was 50/per hour. Then told me to bring it over. Once I get there I was unloading the tires and wheels and the guy asked me.. "which one goes on the front" (275/40 - 315/35) ..which made me nervous about leaving my car there. But anyway, once I get back they said they won't fit blah blah blah and they weren't going to grind or hammer anything. So After some words I ended up leaving with my tires mounted and balanced, Not installed. One of the managers told me they won't ever fit even said he didn't give a **** if I got them on, cuz I told him I'd bring it by after they were on so he could see them on

The car has stock LCA's, Panhard Bar, Shocks, Springs. I removed the bumpstop pads before I went there so it was just the bracket. I need to know how I can get them on there.. spacer? or just grind off the entire bracket? It kind of looks like the tire and wheel/tire will hit the LCA on the passenger side but not certain. If the spacer route, what size should I go with? I don't want them sticking out too far because that looks goofy and my fenders aren't rolled. Help please..
Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't need to grind anything. Mount them, lower the car. Drive it, take the wheels off and hammer in the areas where it scraped.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

You can do what he said by mounting them with the car jacked up using the rear end so it stays compressed.. however, if you take and angle grinder while the car is jacked up, you should only have to grind 1/4 or less off of the outside of the bump stop, you dont have to remove the entire thing. it took me less than 10 min per side.. put the wheel on and look underneath while its still jacked up and make sure you have clearance. For the price of a shop to do the labor, you can buy an angle grinder. Just have them mount the tires and do it yourself.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice, ran out of daylight so I'll get the wheels on tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm more worried about it clearing the lower control arms now.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I've never had any issues on my cars. I just hammer where the tires rub, roll the fenders, and drive.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I've never had any issues on my cars. I just hammer where the tires rub, roll the fenders, and drive.
I'm paranoid lol. The way the wheels looked at the shop with no tire looked like it would rub pretty damn good.. but who knows. I'll look at it tomorrow.. Just don't wanna do something I'll regret
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Take some pics
Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

did they lift it by the body or under the rear diff...? if you extend the rear suspension it may hit in certain places but once it settles it will ride fine... your 17s should be just fine as far as the rim goes.. the tires are another story.. Normally, a 315 would rub but Nittos run narrow so you should be just fine... if your car is lowered more than 1.5" or 1.25" with worn springs, only the passenger tire may rub... either way, there isnt enough contact there to worry about if you take it out and spank her *** a little bit to see what happens...
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Pics or it never happened lol
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
did they lift it by the body or under the rear diff...? if you extend the rear suspension it may hit in certain places but once it settles it will ride fine... your 17s should be just fine as far as the rim goes.. the tires are another story.. Normally, a 315 would rub but Nittos run narrow so you should be just fine... if your car is lowered more than 1.5" or 1.25" with worn springs, only the passenger tire may rub... either way, there isnt enough contact there to worry about if you take it out and spank her *** a little bit to see what happens...
They lifted it by the frame about 6 inches .. I never seen the wheel on the car with tired mounted just wheel and they said ot was rubbing bumpstop and about to touch lca. So im not sure how close just yet. I just know the edge of the bumpstop was keeping the wheel from setting even. I plan on putting the whole wheel with tire on tonorrow.. and seeing if they r just stupid and grind that 1/4 in off thr bumpstop and bfh. I hope it works.. on my phone sorry if I make no sense
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Pics or it never happened lol
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

the way the wheel well is shaped, it will have a problem rubbing but when the rear tucks up into the well, it fits fine.. jack it up by the center of the differential with the suspension compressed.. youll be fine..
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

What offset is the wheel? Jack it up by the rear and put the wheel/tire on. Might need to do a little BFH mod and shave the bracket. At stock height, it shouldn't be much of a problem if the wheel is a 50mm offset. Habour Junk sells a grinder for less than $10.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Jacked the car up, put driver side wheel tire on lil rubbing but bfh it. Passenger side wheel won't even sit all the way against rotor cuz tire is already pushed against the wheel well
Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have an adjustable PHB? The stock rear is usually close to being centered when it leaves the factory. You can't tell when you have stock width wheels. When you move up to the 11's the rear needs to be centered. Has the car been wrecked? Just throwing some other ides out there???
Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Launching!

The Rear was making it closer to the passenger side to where the wheel wouldn't even fit flush to the rotor because the tire was already making contact with the bumpstop/wheel well. I was pissed so I beat the hell out of the bumpstop bracket and wheel well. Wheel finally fit on and I bolted them both on and lowered it of the stands/jack. Clears good.. hasn't rubbed yet. But I may end up BFH'ing a little more next time my wheels are off just to be safe. I plan on getting LCA/ADJ PHB/relocation brackets in the near future due to lowering it anyway.

Thanks for all the help guys. Pics of them on the car will be posted up when I find a Decent camera!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

kinda sounds like your backspacing is off on your wheel.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

if youre lowered already and dont have an adj phb, your rims may not fit on the passenger side cause the rear shifts to left...
Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
if youre lowered already and dont have an adj phb, your rims may not fit on the passenger side cause the rear shifts to left...
Not lowered, I beat on the bumpstop enough to get the wheel on and not rub the wheel .. I'm guessing the rear was too high lifted that bumpstop was far up and preventing it from fitting correctly. Lowered it down and no rubbing ..
Old 03-01-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having similar issues with my 17x11's.