Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Removing powdercoating from wheels for polishing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing powdercoating from wheels for polishing

Let's just say I decided to do this... And the culprit is some black deep dish c5's...
Is there a way to get the coating off ? I am not super keen on the subject but I have an extra wheel I can experiment on... There is absolutely nothing wrong with these so it'll be hard to actually do but I was just considering trying it on my extra wheel to see if polished would look better. Heres my wheels...

Heres what i am considering...

Another option I considered was just polishing the lip. I know they look polished but theyre really more of a brushed aluminum finish... How would I go about that too?

All options considered. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Dont do polished, do more of a gunmetal color with a polished lip.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Air craft stripper or easy off oven clean. We always had good luck with the air craft on bike wheels
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Would the air craft stripper damage the metal underneath at all?? I considered just redoing them a lighter color too.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An interesting link:

http://www.choppersurplus.com/global...ercoating.html

Good Luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Launching!

My factory ford wheels had a powder coated clear on them from the factory I took aircraft paint stripper to them and a preasure washer and in like 2 coating almost all the clear was gone and I was able to get to polishing they turned out really good hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Teching In

I've used aircraft stripper on many things over the years and never had a problem, as soon as the coating starts to lift take a light plastic bristle brush or tooth brush and knock it around and spray it off, take your time it may take a few times
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldntdo it bud, the aluminum is more than likely a mess under that pc, if they wre pc right it could look ike hell under that pc, and since there oe rims im sure they are, sell those and buy the ones you want, if they wer a set of fm5s or somethingi would say its worth it but not on those, this is why i will never buy black wheels again, the look gets old,
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to polish the lip your going to need to wet sand the lips , maybe a few diff grades of compunds/metal polish and a good buffing tool, a powerball isnt going to get te reslts your looking for, i votepolish the lips but the whole wheel no way, i cant tell you what steps to take with out looking at the wheel but it shouldnt be to hard, you coul always ask chaman how he did his evos , im sure there the same kind of deal
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had OE wheels come in my shop to be stripped and coated in a different color. You are probably biting off more than you can chew. The aluminum under the coated area is not at all polished, its totally cast finish as I recall. You will be hand sanding for the rest of your life trying to polish them. BTW that pic you posted as an example is chrome, not polished.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

**** ok lol
Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Teching In

I have never done any car wheels like that but have done several bike wheels, it is a pain to do and takes time to make it look right, we always stripped them and took 800 to 2000 sand paper and wet sanded them after that just remember once you start you have to finish

Quick Reply: Removing powdercoating from wheels for polishing