Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Questions about sanding/polishing some CCW wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Questions about sanding/polishing some CCW wheels

I have a few questions before I dive in. First off, the wheels aren't very bad. There are a few areas on two of the wheels that need attention. I've polished them several times with Mother's Billet polish. I will be using Adams polish when it's time to polish them after sanding. My question is, what grit should I start and end with. I thought about just starting with 2000 grit and wet sanding and then polish them, but maybe I should start with a 800 or so grit and work my way up to 2000. What would your suggestions be. I want to bring back the bling that you see on a brand new set of CCW wheels. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on what your trying to get out,scratches /stains etc, buffing with a good tool with some good polish such as adams will do wonders, i have polished a few sets of wheels, my prostars where really bad when i first got them, think i started at 800 up to 2500, then i did 3 stages of different metal compounds,then my last steep i always applied a good polish with my 2 fingers, that will buff most of the buffing marks off, just know your job is only going to be as good as your tool, most polished wheels i use a high speed buffer/dremel for real small areas/and a few buffing wheels on a drill, if you search on google you will find alot of good threads, imo if there not that bad i would just try polishing them and see how they look,scratches and things like that will require further steps, if its your first time get a good game plan together and try a small part just so you know you can get the results you want
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

On a couple of the wheels, there are some scratches, but mostly it's what appears to be hard water stains, or could even be salt damage. They aren't bad at all, but it it noticible when you look at them closely. I've been using Mother's Mag/Alluminum polish and I've hand polished these areas and it doesn't do anything to remove it. What grit should I start with? I was thinking with starting with 800, then going to 1000 and finishing off with 2000 and then polishing them up with a powerball and some Adams/White Diamond polish.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Captain Double Post

I would try the white diamond first, i was pretty shocked with the stains that polish can get out, i have never used a powerball but what i have learned is the higher speed you can polish the better it will be,post some pics if ya can
Old 07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you think you have hard water stains on them, spray 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water on it. Powerball in my experience sucks. Elbow grease and lots of hours. I have refinished many sets of polished wheels and I usually use the least invasive method first then get more aggressive as needed.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will try the White Diamond with the Powerball. I've only got a drill to attach the Powerball to, but it should work fine. I will still hand polish the "hard to get" areas. I'll see if I can get some closeup pics of what I'm talking about up.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 for white diamond. Ever since I found it at advance I haven't touched the adams/mothers polish since. Easy to apply as well.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by colinpd137
x2 for white diamond. Ever since I found it at advance I haven't touched the adams/mothers polish since. Easy to apply as well.
That's good to hear. I searched on here for White Diamond and everyone who's used it seems to advocate for it. I'm going to pic some up and see what that does and after that, determine if I need to sand or not.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
If you think you have hard water stains on them, spray 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water on it. Powerball in my experience sucks. Elbow grease and lots of hours. I have refinished many sets of polished wheels and I usually use the least invasive method first then get more aggressive as needed.

Thanks for that info Blu99T/A. There are also a few spots that appear to be white in color and it doesn't matter how much I polish, those spots remain white. Most of these are between the split spokes. Any idea what that is?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thanks for that info Blu99T/A. There are also a few spots that appear to be white in color and it doesn't matter how much I polish, those spots remain white. Most of these are between the split spokes. Any idea what that is?

I am sure CCw's are a fully polished wheel but I am going to ask anyway. Are these wheels clearcoated? I ask as Clearcoated aluminum wheels and start corrosion under the clear and it starts out looking white.

Any pics of these white spots? Can you feel them or is it just discoloration?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
I am sure CCw's are a fully polished wheel but I am going to ask anyway. Are these wheels clearcoated? I ask as Clearcoated aluminum wheels and start corrosion under the clear and it starts out looking white.

Any pics of these white spots? Can you feel them or is it just discoloration?

The wheels are not clearcoated. The white discoloration does have some texture to it. It's different than the hard water spots. I need to try the water/vinager mixture though.

I'll try to get some pics up. Should have time tonight.

Quick Reply: Questions about sanding/polishing some CCW wheels