Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

SLP ws6 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP ws6 wheels

Hey guys I have a quick question for you all. I have a set of SLP 17" Chrome ws6 wheels. I have heard they are somewhat rare (discontinued.) What is the value on these wheels? All are in excellent shape. Here is a pic of one of them.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Teching In

any chance you can get some better pics?

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Heres another picture, as far as image quality that is the best I can do. I posted them on another forum in a discussion about getting my wheels powder coated a few gentleman there told me they are slp wheels based on the face of the wheel and the part number. I honestly could care less if they were reproductions, stock, etc but since I was told and all signs point toward being an slp wheel I figured I would see what kind of value if any that they had. I cannot find much information about them.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think they are SLP because SLP didnt deal with the WS6's, only the Firehawks. and since every WS6 came with those wheels in either 98-00 or 01-02 (can remember which is which) i would say youll get 400 tops since people want aftermarket wheels
Old 09-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Heres the issue I am running into. GM never produced a factory CHROME ws6 wheel. Plus these do not have GM stamped on the dished face of the wheel like other ws6 wheels do. I have been told and this is what I am trying to figure out is that SLP made and discontinued a CHROME 17" ws6 wheel. I googled it and what I have found is what is on my car. There seems to be no way to verify it though. The part number on my wheel is the gm part number for a ws6 wheel however the face of the wheel does not have that gm stamp. So my googlefoo leads me to believe they are SLP. I wrote a letter to SLP and am awaiting a response. Seems these wheels are not well known. Google turns up few results and most of them talk about how rare they are. Im not into that rare type stuff. I just wonder if they are worth taking off the car and keeping nice or screw it an run them.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

There are chrome shops in the US. Just because they're chrome doesn't mean they were done at the factory.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:20 PM

I totally get that. And like I said I could care less. I just want to know what I am dealing with before I ruin a potentially expensive wheel with powder coat. Again here is what I am dealing with so you guys can understand.

No gm stamp on face of wheel.
17 CHROME Ws6
GM part number

If you google 17" chrome slp ws6 you will find several pages about a wheel that looks like mine made by slp. The only difference being they were chrome and had the gm stamp removed. I have read that UM mold made the factory wheels for gm. They allowed SLP to use the mold with a different face which would remove the gm marking. If I am wrong in assuming all 17" ws6 wheels have that gm stamp on the face of the wheel let me know. I have seen only a few sets in person and they all had that stamp.

I was simply hoping there were some slp nuts or somebody with some slp knowledge who could help me. If they are indeed a factory wheel, great, I won't feel bad about powder coating them. If they are slp they will probably come off so I don't ruin something somebody may want.I don't think I have some million dollar rare wheel here just hoping somebody can see the same clues as to something being funky here and help me out.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Those wheels are NOT rare. However, SLP did sell chrome WS6 wheels back in the day. That style of wheel was OE on WS6 Trans Ams and Formulas from 1996 through 2000... not just the LS1 cars like someone previously posted.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 PM

Excellent information. Thank you for not just dismissing it. Just so I understand you then, you are saying SLP made a Chrome ws6 wheel that came on 96-00 Formulas and Trans Ams? Or was it ordered with that particular wheel, or were they just a wheel slp sold and you could buy it from them.? The only thing that is making me question my wheel simply being a chromed stock wheel is that the gm stamping is not on the dished part of the wheel like all the wheels I have seen in real life. I know somebody could remove it before they were chromed but it seems like a lot of hassle for no real benefit. Thanks again for your comment.

EDIT:
I misread your comment. I get it now. The style was for the 96-00 but not the exact wheel. So I wonder if these bring a premium for being SLP or nothing more than that. Like I said just trying to figure out what I should do. I wanted to have my wheels powder coated, I might just be better off buying a set of abused ws6 wheels and having them powder coated and saving these. I don't mind the chrome but I am bored with it.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

They're wheels that SLP simply sold... they didn't make them nor did they equip any of their specialty cars with them. There's absolutely nothing special about those chrome wheels at all.

Last edited by carlos64030; 09-27-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Thank you for the solid answer. I get that they are just wheels standard wheels sold by slp, no more info is needed.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlos64030
Those wheels are NOT rare. However, SLP did sell chrome WS6 wheels back in the day. That style of wheel was OE on WS6 Trans Ams and Formulas from 1996 through 2000... not just the LS1 cars like someone previously posted.
ahh i forgot about the lt1 ws6's. but i they are not SLP wheels, they just sold them..
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could it be just standard plain Jane 1998-2000 WS6 wheels
that were chromed and when they chromed them they
stripped or polished off the GM embossing prior to getting
plated.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 PM

So I got a hold of SLP just for my own edification and figured I would add it here. I was told they contracted with GM to make the wheel, SLP had it Chrome plated and then sold it. Mystery solved. haha. So factory wheel chromed by whoever slp had chrome it, then sold by slp.

Quick Reply: SLP ws6 wheels