Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What Kind of wheels do I have?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Kind of wheels do I have?!

Ok so my dad purchased a set of "WS6" wheels off of craigslist because he has never saw this style before and neither have I..

don't have pictures yet

he has the POLISHED 17" WS6 wheels on his car now (normal wheels everyone knows what they look like)

But these new wheels he bought are 17" "WS6" wheels, but they have a almost "Polished gray" look to them. their in perfect condition too. I have never ever saw these wheels on any type of ws6 before.

once again they look "polished" but are a grayish color. we set them side by side by other set of wheels and they are most certainly different.

anyone herd of these "Dark" polished WS6 wheels?

edit: both sets of WS6 wheels im talking about are the older style. NOT the "speedlines"
Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You keep referring to them as "polished", but no WS6 came with polished wheels. They were all clear coated. As far as the gray you are talking about, I have never heard of anything like that before unless someone had them painted or powdercoated that color.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You keep referring to them as "polished", but no WS6 came with polished wheels. They were all clear coated. As far as the gray you are talking about, I have never heard of anything like that before unless someone had them painted or powdercoated that color.
I'm talking about polished as in "shiny" but not "chrome" shiny.

they're not painted.. and have GM stamps on them.

but are "gray shiny" so to speak not polished sorry

I know this sounds strange because I know a **** ton about Fbodys but I have never saw these wheels anywhere
Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe they are the ones that came on the LT1 WS6's, because I'm pretty sure you could get those in a sort of grey finish, not too sure though just throwing it out there
Old 06-10-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you mean gunmetal?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95-96 firehawks had grey speedlines. If that is what you mean?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

this is frustrating... now i really want to see pictures of these wheels
Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Mildphil
95-96 firehawks had grey speedlines. If that is what you mean?
This was covered in the initial post:

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
edit: both sets of WS6 wheels im talking about are the older style. NOT the "speedlines"

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You keep referring to them as "polished", but no WS6 came with polished wheels. They were all clear coated.
Actaully, every LS1 WS6 came with polished wheels, except the CETA which had black. You are correct that they were clear coated, but that clear coating was applied over a polished finish.

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Maybe they are the ones that came on the LT1 WS6's, because I'm pretty sure you could get those in a sort of grey finish, not too sure though just throwing it out there
Correct. WS6 wheels were silver painted with a polished lip when first introduced for the '96 MY, but the OP already mentioned that these wheels are not a painted finish, just less shiny than the typical polished & clear coated WS6 wheels.

If they have the GM stamp, then they are original GM wheels. Perhaps someone removed the clear coat (either on purpose to give them a better polishing job but then neglected to keep up on the finish, or by accident due to using too harsh a cleaner/polishing agent not realizing that it would strip the clear coat.)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Take a little polish on a cloth and see if it turns black when you rub. If so the clear is gone and like RPM WS6 said could be neglected. At some point in their lifetime, somebody possible sprayed a tinted clear over the stock clear to get the darker polished your explaining. At any rate it is not stock. GM had only 4 variations of the thin-spoke WS6 wheel, silver/machined lip, polished, blue polished and black/machined lip. There were gold ones as well , but I think SLP handled that.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Take a little polish on a cloth and see if it turns black when you rub. If so the clear is gone and like RPM WS6 said could be neglected. At some point in their lifetime, somebody possible sprayed a tinted clear over the stock clear to get the darker polished your explaining. At any rate it is not stock. GM had only 4 variations of the thin-spoke WS6 wheel, silver/machined lip, polished, blue polished and black/machined lip. There were gold ones as well , but I think SLP handled that.
^^There is your answer OP. It is an original rim that someone tampered with.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Quick Reply: What Kind of wheels do I have?!