Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag Radial Grip All Season Tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Radial Grip All Season Tire

I'm looking to purchase a new set of tires for my car 275-40-17. I have tried a few different brands but the ones I liked the most were the two sets of Nitto 555r drag radials I owned.

I know that the Nitto isn't anywhere near as sticky as the Mickey or Toyo drag radials but I thought they hooked "good enough" on the street.

The only downside to the Nitto's were how bad they performed in the winter/snow and the fact that I only got 10k~ miles out of them.

Is there currently a tire in the market that can provide the same level of "performance" as the N555R, that will provide more mileage and "all season" performance?

I saw this video and I'm not sure how accurate it is, since it's from the manufacture, but I thought it was interesting none the less.

They claim a 1/4 mile time improvement from 13.10 to 12.58 which is 0.52 seconds quicker!

Cliff notes: What is a tire that lasts longer, performs as good or better than the Nitto 555R and can also be driven in the winter/snow?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

There is no such thing as an all-season drag radial, or even a tire that performs close to a drag radial in cold and snow. The best thing to do is have another pair of wheels with your winter tires on them.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, that video is shot in pearsall Texas.
I have lived in texas when i was in army, they have 2 seasons in Texas:
Summer, and january.
and january is 45 degrees. of course they are "all season tires" there lol
Old 07-13-2014, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I was trying to decide between the Mickey Thompson Street Comp (same tread compound as the RS3-S, and very similar tread design) and the Continental ExtremeContact DW. Everyone told me that the DW would be an all around better performing tire. The DWS (S for snow) may be something for you to look into. However I wouldn't expect any of them to perform like a DR, and any summer tire likely says that it shouldn't be driven in temps below 15*.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I was trying to decide between the Mickey Thompson Street Comp (same tread compound as the RS3-S, and very similar tread design)
They're the same tire. Mickey Thompson is owned by Cooper Tire. I have the Street Comps on both of my cars and my dad has them on his Corvette. VERY good tires with great traction and wet weather ability, but they certainly aren't what the OP is looking for as he wants something that doesn't exist.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Banned

It's kind of something I figured! The RS3-S seems like it would provide the same grip as the 555r's but with a longer life! I might end up doing with the RS3-S for the rear and RS3-A for the front and just swap them in the winter!

As for the tire not existing... I guess it just doesn't exist "yet" lol
Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
There is no such thing as an all-season drag radial, or even a tire that performs close to a drag radial in cold and snow. The best thing to do is have another pair of wheels with your winter tires on them.
This^ They all have some type of weakness.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Super Speed
It's kind of something I figured! The RS3-S seems like it would provide the same grip as the 555r's but with a longer life! I might end up doing with the RS3-S for the rear and RS3-A for the front and just swap them in the winter!

As for the tire not existing... I guess it just doesn't exist "yet" lol
Physics and chemistry is a bitch like that. Very few times in life does there exist something that works perfectly in ever single case.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
They're the same tire. Mickey Thompson is owned by Cooper Tire. I have the Street Comps on both of my cars and my dad has them on his Corvette. VERY good tires with great traction and wet weather ability, but they certainly aren't what the OP is looking for as he wants something that doesn't exist.
They are very similar, but not exactly the same. The MT's have larger tread blocks on the shoulder and center rib. Hopefully I am as satisfied with the DW's that I bought! I couldn't find many reviews on the MT's.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

No tire with the grip of a drag radial will have all season traction. Not even close unfortunately. The stickiest all season I have tested are Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3. They give summer tire grip but not drag radial grip.

Quick Reply: Drag Radial Grip All Season Tire