Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

UPDATE Cause=oe wheels c5 dd chrome, Centercap replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default UPDATE Cause=oe wheels c5 dd chrome, Centercap replacement?

ok somehow 1 of my center caps decided to escape probably at wot so now im 1 short. dont see on their site thatbtheyvsell replacements, searched ebay, and found some 'silver' but no chrome, anybody ever have to purchase a replacement one?
or am i stuck buying a whole set?
also, will the oem type fit oe wheels c5dd?
UPDATE
in case anybody may care or have same situation of losing a centercap on these rims, i was curious too how it cud fly off, as they were hard as hell to pop in. investigation reveals a simple cause, they are plastic lol, and easily brake at the weak point. the attached pic shows the little tab that locks in to the wheel, which is thin and brittle, and after a few cycles of getting hot/cool worsens this. I went to the other 3 wheels, and another one was loose as well, it popped out easy, and when i touched the tab, 1 broke off at a touch, and another was about to go.
anybody know if OEM caps are metal/stronger? or any other caps that arent so cheap? if im going to replace 2 of them, may as well get a good set.
Attached Thumbnails UPDATE Cause=oe wheels c5 dd chrome, Centercap replacement?-0719142308a.jpg  

Last edited by JDEP162; 07-19-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-16-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think they said the caps are interchangeable with OEM.

I believe if you call them you can get new caps. They only have blank caps now from what I recall, so if you have the vette flag on yours you may want to get a set of 4.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, You have to email OE directly for replacement caps. I had to get black ones which were about $15/ea
Old 07-17-2014, 02:39 AM
12 Second Club

alright thanks fellas il give them a call directly, just wondered if anybody else had same happen/ any hidden sources, il call oe.
and if anyone has a good idea to keep the others from flying off shout it out lol
Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Flying off? Wow, mine are really tight on the wheels. I feel like I'd break them trying to pull them off.

Just how fast were you driving
Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Flying off? Wow, mine are really tight on the wheels. I feel like I'd break them trying to pull them off.

Just how fast were you driving
haha i know right, mine were all tight as hell to pop in too, then one day i just noticed 1 missing, day after went out for a cruise and a spray pull, then locked back in garage. must have hit a bump just right. or just wrong.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

UPDATE
in case anybody may care or have same situation of losing a centercap on these rims, i was curious too how it cud fly off, as they were hard as hell to pop in. investigation reveals a simple cause, they are plastic lol, and easily brake at the weak point. the attached pic shows the little tab that locks in to the wheel, which is thin and brittle, and after a few cycles of getting hot/cool worsens this. I went to the other 3 wheels, and another one was loose as well, it popped out easy, and when i touched the tab, 1 broke off at a touch, and another was about to go.
anybody know if OEM caps are metal/stronger? or any other caps that arent so cheap? if im going to replace 2 of them, may as well get a good set.
Attached Thumbnails
UPDATE Cause=oe wheels c5 dd chrome, Centercap replacement?-0719142308a.jpg
Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want them to NEVER ever fall off again, even if the plastic tabs are broken off and gone completely......go to an auto glass shop and ask them to sell you a roll of 3/8" windshield "pinch weld" tape. Its black and extremely sticky, looks like a rope (6"-8" long maybe). Cut a length of the tape that is equal to the diameter of the inside of the center cap.....press it in all around like its a gasket, and push it on. It wont go anywhere.......EVER.

....you may want to only use the tape on 2-3 spots on the center cap and not all the way around the inside.....because it will be very hard to get off after it has been pressed on. You may have to push the cap from the inside to get it off without damaging it. But it will stay on.......if that the goal.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the factory C5 wheel center caps are plastic too. I've never seen metal center caps.

Quick Reply: UPDATE Cause=oe wheels c5 dd chrome, Centercap replacement?