Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Benefits of WELD RACING PROSTARS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of WELD RACING PROSTARS?

What are the benefits of WELD RACING PROSTARS..SKINNYS..15X3 or it's just for the look? Also what's the bolt pattern for my 98 Trans Am.

Thanks for any info!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.freewebs.com/casper9t9/dragwheelinfo.htm
Old 08-29-2004, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When referring to benifits, what are you comparing them to? What is your primary use for them.

Obviously, they are a drag racing only item and NOT intended for street use, so a drawback is they won't perform as well on the street compared to something that has a wider contact patch area.

From a drag racing perspective skinnies will have less rotational weight and a lower coefficient of static and kinetic friction due to less tire contact patch area. 15x10 inch rims in the rear will benifit from traction as well as rotational weight improvements.

The prostar has a few fitment issues, it will need spacers...I believe with the fronts, using a spacer, they will need minimal grinding, but rears even with a spacer will need quite a bit of grinding to fit. Your stock studs will NOT protrude past the rim center, they will only come within 1/2-3/4 of the way through the rim, therefore you need aftermarket longer studs. Even with the longer 2.86" arp style studs (1.5" is stock), you barely pass tech (if you get tested).

If you dont' use the longer studs, you will get maybe 5-8 turns on the stock stud which isn't safe. With the use of the spacer in the front, BS is reduced which makes the rim stick out a bit more and looks odd imho. I don't believe you can get away without the use of a spacer in the front...the rear, some guys have ground down the calipers so they don't use a spacer...though you have to remove a TON of material making the caliper very thin.

Spacers which are NOT an integral part of the rim increase move the sheer line out on the studs which make it a weaker setup. It is not advisable to use seperate spacers...sometimes without specific application-made rims to fit each application, this is un-avoidable.

The most attractive point of the ecomomy style prostar is their price-point. So if cost is a concern, The prostar is your best bet.

There are better alternatives such as our Bogarts, a high-end drag rim, they cost a bit more, but are worth it in the end if appearance and optimizing weight is a concern. Our Bogarts are built specifically for LS1/LT1 needs.

To give you an example, using a set of Prostars is like leaving ~50lbs of converted static weight on your car vs using a set of Bogarts! (centerline wheels are heavier)

BP needed is 5x4.75

There was a good write-up on this not too long ago...I wish it would be a sticky as these questions are brought up quite a bit.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Pres.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

Clear and consise write-up brandon, good job!

Besides for fitment issues mentioned, it would be nice to see the weight benefits of our Bogarts over the others.

Using a Bogart LS1 specific rim INSTEAD of a Weld Prostar/Draglite will NET a savings of ~50 lbs of converted rotational to static weight benefits is a pretty big difference. The extra cost for our rims over economy minded rims proves to be a large benefit, not just from a fitment area, but from a weight standpoint.

For P1 LS1 Bogarts over weld Prostars/Draglites approx. 75% of the weight loss is from the rears, 25% from the fronts. This is calculated using a 1-6 relationship (1 lb of rotational weight=6 lbs of static weight). This equivalency relationship varies from whom you talk to...centerline states a 1-8 relationship...which means ours would have even a better weight advantage. We tend to be a little conservative with our number.

Appearance is in the eye of the beholder, though I am biased a bit, I feel nothing in any drag ecomomy series holds a candle next to our rims. Apples to oranges. They look like a show rim as similar high-quality materials are used to build them.

Steve
Pres.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the Info!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where is a good place to pick up a set of Bogarts?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Rectifier
Where is a good place to pick up a set of Bogarts?

We can help you. We initiated prototype testing and design. We continue to be instrumental in the production and design for F-body Bogart rims continually working with prototypes. We have vast direct knowledge pertaining what application works best for each persons needs. Since there are various ways to build a rim, we are certain each build meets his/her goals.

Follow-ups are NOT uncommon. Speaking with customers 6 months down the road to see if our products meet/exceed satisfaction levels and any concerns they may have is common grounds. With my experience and expertise in the area of mechanical engineering, I can provide a sound solution for your drag needs.

We do not just sell products, we continually offer support towards each customers needs AFTER the sale. This may be overlooked sometimes by some... in those cases hindsight can be 20/20. Though we can't satisfy everyone 100% of the time, we do what we can do make each situation right.

It is nice to say we have the best price, I know this is important to some. I prefer us to be known as a very knowledgeable source that continually offer support for the products we build/design.

The internet has seemed to replace service in many cases down to a dollar sign, we still feel service is #1.

Steve
Pres.

Last edited by steve10; 08-31-2004 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 08-31-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

That looks badass dude! Can't wait till you get her to the track!