Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

P-zeros and best handling on 2001 M6

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-zeros and best handling on 2001 M6

thanks to all who have answered my newbie questions , and i am trying to master the search button LOL. anyway, i just rcvd my Z06's , 17"x9.5, and i have read a lot of threads on best gripping tire but not on best handling tire, i want my car to really feel like its on rails, traction is good but i enjoy a good handling car on my curvy roads. i drove mostly in good warm/hot/cool dry weather. i may see some rain but i have other cars to run in the rain (ghetto hoopties LOL), anyway i like what i hav eread about the good years, but the are 200 a piece, treadlife is not an issue for me as i only drive car on weekends. just dont want mushy tires. i am open for suggestions. thanks, and i realize sometiems you get what u pay for.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by golddot
thanks to all who have answered my newbie questions , and i am trying to master the search button LOL. anyway, i just rcvd my Z06's , 17"x9.5, and i have read a lot of threads on best gripping tire but not on best handling tire, i want my car to really feel like its on rails, traction is good but i enjoy a good handling car on my curvy roads. i drove mostly in good warm/hot/cool dry weather. i may see some rain but i have other cars to run in the rain (ghetto hoopties LOL), anyway i like what i hav eread about the good years, but the are 200 a piece, treadlife is not an issue for me as i only drive car on weekends. just dont want mushy tires. i am open for suggestions. thanks, and i realize sometiems you get what u pay for.
Goodyear F1 GS-D3's....what you need, for sure.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

I have the PZero Nero and they have done great. Before that I had the BFG KDW and though those hooked better in warm weather they di not handle as ggod in cooler weather. Also the Pirellis will speak to you on cornering (squeals) where the BFG KDW stayed quiet (probably due to the softer rubber).

I also used www.tirerack.com for comparison shopping and drivers opinions.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

from my searches i gather (i know that sounded nerdy LOL) that the softer the rubber the better teh hook and grip, but quicker the wear. i really like the g'years, but will they fail me if caught in a downpour of rain? my main goal is to cut corners like a bandit! ride noise,tread wear etc... not important...must have g forces... LOL
Old 09-29-2004, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

just realized that the g'years are great AW tires as well. i like the p-zeros and i cant tell that i will looose a lot by going w/them over the g'years other than 50 or so a tire.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Goodyear GS-D3 sounds like the tire for you. They are awesome all around. You will be very pleased.

Match those tires with some shocks like the Koni SA/Bilstein package, and you'll have a whole new car. Shocks are the weakest point of the f-body suspension.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

KDs are best unless you need wet grip or longevity
Old 09-29-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

absolute best gripping tire = bfg kd

good combo of grip, wet traction, wear = gdy gs-d3

good wear and wet traction, ok grip = pirelli p zero nero
Old 09-30-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pirellis are awesome tires. I'd reccomend them, but I think GS-D3's would be a better choice.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the info fellas!