Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

All folks with 315s on 17x9.5 rims who have had problems come in!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All folks with 315s on 17x9.5 rims who have had problems come in!

I hear lots from people that run this combo saying there has been no problems (especially with nittos) and a few that say don't do it, but so far I have heard NO one who has them or has had them and advises against them. Is there anyone out there with this combo who went back or would advise against it?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

We have the BFG KD's in that size and it's not that bad since we run at 36psi.

My friend did run a Nitto 555R on a 9" SS rim and it bulged out a lot and didn't feel safe. I drove the SS twice at the track with 18psi in the Nittos and didn't want to drive it anymore since the rear felt way too loose when I was shifting.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

DUDE GET AN 11' INCH RIM AND PUT A 315 ON IT...

315's are not supposed to go on a 9.5 inch rim...... its as simple as that

If you do put a 315 tire on your 9.5 inch rim and crash your car/ or messup yourself dont say we didnt warn you....
Old 08-23-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posted by: FLAWLS1T/A
If you do put a 315 tire on your 9.5 inch rim and crash your car/ or messup yourself dont say we didnt warn you....
Old 08-23-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FLAWLS1T/A
DUDE GET AN 11' INCH RIM AND PUT A 315 ON IT...

315's are not supposed to go on a 9.5 inch rim...... its as simple as that

Did I somehow hit a nerve??
Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

No problems here. I haven't heard of a documented case either where they were the cause of a problem.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really do not see the purpose of putting an oversized tire on an undersized wheel.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel that all the badmouthing 315s on 9.5s has everything to do with liability and nothing to do with real world experience. Nittos run thin, but other than nittos, I dont think I would ever consider putting a true 315 on a 9.5" wheel.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I really do not see the purpose of putting an oversized tire on an undersized wheel.

I think of it as more of an appearance mod than a performance one. Bulge or not, theres a certain intimidation factor to having meats that big.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I think of it as more of an appearance mod than a performance one. Bulge or not, theres a certain intimidation factor to having meats that big.
I'm sorry but that is pathetic . . .

Am I supposed to be impressed when I see giant mufflers stick out the *** end of a Civic?

So no I'd never be impressed when I see someone run the wrong sized tire on the wrong sized rim.

I personally think a Goodyear GS-D3 in a 275/40ZR17 is way more impressive than those underbuilt japanese POS Nittos . . .
Old 08-23-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Xsta Z28 - thank you for your concern. I have been reading your replies on the subject. You are genuinely a good person for looking out for peoples best interests.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Am I supposed to be impressed when I see giant mufflers stick out the *** end of a Civic?

So no I'd never be impressed when I see someone run the wrong sized tire on the wrong sized rim.

I personally think a Goodyear GS-D3 in a 275/40ZR17 is way more impressive than those underbuilt japanese POS Nittos . . .
And youre entitled to you opinion just as we're entitled to ours. Just because it dosnt moisten your shorts dosnt mean nobody gets to enjoy it. Please dont take this the wrong way, but some of your posts come off as very egotistical, as if you know whats best for us. We know the slight danger associated with this combo just as well as we know the slight danger associated with driving a few MPH over the speed limit. I mean, I can see if its truly a safety issue, and that discussion about an improperly mounted tire becomes a liability, but im not sure how much water that holds on a site that regularly tells you how to eliminate emissions controls and top speed limiters. Look, I understand that you may not like the looks or the performance of 315s on a smaller wheel, just like i may not like a 2 foot wing and stick-on hood pins on a camaro, but you dont have to be the Wheels go round Dictator.

Sorry if any of that was out of line, Im not trying to insult you, I just think showing a little more open mindedness on the subject might be welcomed by the users of this board.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Posted by: GuitsBoy
And youre entitled to you opinion just as we're entitled to ours. Just because it dosnt moisten your shorts dosnt mean nobody gets to enjoy it. Please dont take this the wrong way, but some of your posts come off as very egotistical, as if you know whats best for us. We know the slight danger associated with this combo just as well as we know the slight danger associated with driving a few MPH over the speed limit. I mean, I can see if its truly a safety issue, and that discussion about an improperly mounted tire becomes a liability, but im not sure how much water that holds on a site that regularly tells you how to eliminate emissions controls and top speed limiters. Look, I understand that you may not like the looks or the performance of 315s on a smaller wheel, just like i may not like a 2 foot wing and stick-on hood pins on a camaro, but you dont have to be the Wheels go round Dictator.

Sorry if any of that was out of line, Im not trying to insult you, I just think showing a little more open mindedness on the subject might be welcomed by the users of this board.
Woohoo!!! Looks like you hit the nail on the head!! I have said this all along but it doesn't make any difference, because it is a dictatorship! You will probably be the next one to be threatened and etc. over your posts, but I am sure that they will be deleted by X before most people get a chance to read them. He is right and everyone else is wrong because they do not share the same opinion and that is a shame. I have also said the same thing about other mods and he just deletes the posts and disagrees. But hey, I guess I am not the only one who has noticed this phenomenon!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is taken from Dunlop's website

RIM WIDTH

Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.

If the rim is too narrow, the flex point moves toward the shoulder area, creating heat buildup in the shoulder which reduces tire life and could result in failure.

If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat buildup in the lower sidewall which reduces tire life and could result in failure.

Within the acceptable range of rim widths, one can select wider or narrower rims than the measuring rim. Selection of a wider rim, from within the approved range, (T & RA tables) stiffens the sidewall and improves handling at the expense of handling. If carried to extreme, either too narrow or too wide of a rim, can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement. Always check with your Dunlop dealer for permissible rim width options.
Remember — safe clearance must be determined for a particular tire/rim contender & vehicle.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Xsta Z
Old 08-23-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think everyone chiming in with OPINIONS needs to go back and read the original poster's thread title about "All folks with 315s on 17x9.5 rims who have had problems come in!" You know what, your opinions are not what he asked for and it is strange that nobody has had any problems!

TexasWS6,

I have had 315's on 17x9.5's for a few years now and I have had NO problems!
Old 08-23-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well he is actually asking for opinions in the sense that he is not asking for results of controlled, documented research. The perception of a problem is subjective in that some may not consider reduced traction or accelerated wear problematic. I'm not saying that everyone who uses that combination experiences those symptoms, but when someone says they have no problems, it's impossible to know what they mean without actually seeing the condition of the tires.

But I think we can safely assume that Dunlop posts their warning based upon years of experience in the field.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Teching In

i ran goodyear gsd3's on my 98 t/a for a while just trying something new. only problem i had was i didn't like the way they looked. i was always afraid they'd pop off the rim so i got some polished 11'' zr1 wheels off ebay for 500 bucks. i think it looks better and i wouldn't doubt if it helps the life of the tire too cause it dosent bulge and stress like it did on the 9.5 inch wheel
Old 08-24-2005, 12:38 AM
Launching!

i think mighty mouse did or is running a set up like that.....he also has a 900 hp car

pm him he might have some answers for you
Old 08-24-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I have 335/30/18 michelin pilot sports on my stock 10.5 inch Z06 wheels. Alot of detractors saying it couldnt/shouldnt be done. They hook better than the stock 295s BTW....