Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

just ordered profil 5S wheels from thunder, question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just ordered profil 5S wheels from thunder, question.

well, thanks to everyone who replied in my other wheel thread, after changing my mind about a dozen times on wheels, i decided to go in a completely different direction. i'm going with the profil 5S's from fikse, i actually just ordered them today from thunder racing. im just going with 17x9.5 inch wheels, to keep the cost down somewhat(especially so i can just put my old tires on these new rims, since they're still pretty new)

my question has to do with the offset(yes, i know, i did search). i asked the guy at thunder about the offset, and he told me that fikse would have an offset that they normally used on f-body wheels. he said he thought it was either +50 or +55. he told me i could go with something different if i wanted, but he recommended staying with what fikse went with. so my question is, what is the lowest offset i could go with on 17x9.5 rims without the wheel sticking out past the fender? i'd like the biggest dish i could get on the back wheel(which i know probably wont be anything to nuts). in my searches it seems like you can run something like a +35 on a 17x9.5 inch wheel(and get the biggest dish with that), but, i was alittle confused about it all.

thanks for anyone that helps.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone with the knowledge please help this guy out, cause it will help me too
Old 08-01-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since you are interested in keeping all four rims the same width, you could probably fit a 38 mm offset, but you might need to roll the fender lip in front. You could go to a 10.5" wide rim in the rear with a 38mm offset. Check this out in the offsets sticky:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=36320

Last edited by NOBR8KSS; 08-01-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Default Offset

If your car is lowered more than 1", I would not go any lower than a 56mm offset on a 9.5" wheel, unless you're ready to roll your fender lips

If you're at stock ride height, you could go as low as 38mm without any problem. Try not to go any lower than that because the wheels, especially the fronts, will start to stick out from the wheel wells
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 9.5" wide Fikses are 37 or 38 mm offset. PERFECT!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the replies guys. i called fikse today myself and asked them about what offset they would normally use for a 17x9.5 wheel around around for an f-body. the guy at fikse told me they should come with a 38mm or something like that all around if thats what i get (but obviously i coudl get w/e i wanted). anyway, im gonna call thunder back and talk to them about it, but, i guess if its gonna be 38 all around thats good then. (o, and yes, i am at the stock ride height)

thanks again everyone.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PS with a WS6 the rear quarters are a bit wider than a Camaro, so there is room.

My Blue Camaro has 9.5" wide Fikses with 38 mm offset on all four corners, The stance is awesome:

My Red Camaro has 9.5" wide Fikses with 38 mm offset on the front and 10.5" wide and also a 38 mm offset.

Lots of close up pics on the Red car here: http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/shudbdrwg/Fikses/
Old 08-01-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

im guessin that if ur dumping that much on rims, being able to rotate them isn't an issue? if u plan on rotating them, then keepin the same offset all the way around is best
Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Launching!

thanks alot guys for all the responses, and thanks especially to Xsta Z 28 for those pics and stuff, i called thunder racing again today just to varify everything, and make sure that the wheels were coming with the 38mm offset. they said they'd call me back, but, i told them that if they werent coming with that to make sure they were. so, all 4 wheels are going to be 17x9.5 with a +38 offset, i cant wait. i know i probably should have went with 18's since im getting a profil, but, the only reason i went profil instead of classic is because the classic line doesnt have a wheel that looks like the 5S. and i figured if i ever wanted to widen the back tires that wouldnt be a big issue either. i think im getting a pretty good deal on profil's too since im only getting 17x9.5, it seems pretty cheap compared to bigger ones, lol.

anyway, these next 4-8 weeks are gonna go by SLOW. lol. i cant wait to get these wheels and get them mounted!
Old 08-04-2006, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got FM5's in 38mm 17x9.5 on an Eibach Pro kit and I had to roll the rear fenders. They would gouge into the tires during autox or above 90mph on the highway (hitting dips). For every day normal driving, you're probably fine. In the front I had to 'relocate' the plastic inwards a little bit to get a full turning radius.

Just me experience.

Good luck, those are nice rims you picked out!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Launching!

thanks!
Old 08-05-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I just pulled out some paperwork I had filed away on my A.R. 200S that I bought a few years ago. They are 17x9.5 and my info shows the offset at 32. I didn't really pay attention when I bought them because the American Racing website had listed this size for '93-on Camaro/Firebird. They look pretty much flush with the edge of the fender. Check it out.

Quick Reply: just ordered profil 5S wheels from thunder, question.