Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Looking at several different tires in the 315 size.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking at several different tires in the 315 size.

My 1995 stock suspension TA is at a major crossroads right now. I am in need of some new rims after my SS rims were stolen. My thought is to run maybe just a 315/35/17 on all 4 corners, or maybe a 315 front and 335 on the back seen a few pics of guys and they looked good in my opinion. I guess I could do worse like ricin it out but that wont happen. They had worn out Kumhos which were ok performance wise in the dry, with less than steller perfornmance in the wet (wore out I know). Also my winter tires are at the maypop stage, and the yare just downright ugly!!!!! (stock firebird alloys for 93 to 95 maybe) I have read many of the post of guys running some 315/35/17s on the ZR1 rims and GS wheels. Thought maybe we can get some more thoughts as to a cheaper tire as far as the Vredistiens, Sumitomos, and maybe Kumhoes. I am looking to pretty much spend in the 250 range per tire or that is a target. I was looking also at the offsets of some of the ZR1 rims of 36 and 50 mm. It seems that the 36 mills do kinda poke the tire a bit out of the wheel well a bit which is fine and dandy. Iwould like to be able to drive in the rain at least since it is a DD. I know you cant beat the Sumos for the price, but seems some people had some probs with them as far as them not liking the rain, while others seemed fine to a point. I thinking is dont drive like your in a rush and you might be fine. Nittoes seem like a possibilty too just in case they should be in on consideration.

Also is there a handling advantage with 335 tire too that would be negligable as far as results. Looking to maybe do some auto x sometime in the future too, but mostly street driving for use. There seems to be alot of opinions floating around. the Kumho seems to be the best for those 2 sizes far as price points go. Iknow one guy is running the Vredistiens in the 315 size. Dont seem to be alot of tires from companies being made at this point from what research I have found. I am looking for some alround performance and some of that holy cow those are wide along with a good fair deal ie cheap for a 300 mm tire, but not to cheap the rubber falls off.

Oh by the way36 mm on the back or 50mm, I kinda like a bit of tire poking out the back, but maybe it is to much for the axle bearing maybe, but thought it might kinda alliviete a problem with tire contact in the wheel well area if I wanna run the 335s too. I was kinda kicking just getting everything in a 36 mm with the 315s though for rotational ease. I thought i would ramble off some ideas of what I thought, maybe a polite criteque of some other people that might know even more. I gotta get this right off the bat without damage to the budget. I also looking for a cheaper panhard bar just in case I need to shore up the sides evenly a little more.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Teching In

theres also this http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Eti...555%2Eoverview

theyre new to the market. another option for someone not wanting to run a drag radial.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

the Vredesteins are good tires but i hear the 315's run a little narrow. I think the GSD3's are the widest performance tire most people use.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Go with the Vredestein Sessenta ultra..
Great tire.. Hooks good for street tire... Great performance on wet and dry..
I love em.. Plus they have seen alot of track, and the thread on them is still awsome..
I am amazed with them.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

^ do you have the 315's? if so what is the sectional width on them
Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cookba
I had the measurements.. I had them at home..

we went thru that on the corvette forums..

but here is a picture of the 315..

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=61445

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=61397

and on this post is the width.. Or you can wait till I get home.

below is the post that me and the vette guys beat the **** out of the tires.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=vredesstein
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned

read it. they say the vred's are 1/10th wider than the GSD3's. thats odd cause i heard they ran narrower
Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

read it. they say the vred's are 1/10th wider than the GSD3's. thats odd cause i heard they ran narrower
well hard to argue facts.. everyone was measuring.
LOL

my buddy even came over to see. They run better also. much better.
run them hard in the rain. not that you want to, but you can ride normal in the rain.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to know this also...