Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Used tires from tire companies on Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Used tires from tire companies on Ebay?

Anyone buy used tires from some of the dealers on Ebay? They guarantee them and I found some michelin's for $100 on there with 7/32's left new they are $313. sounds like not so bad a deal, but is it safe? They all say they have been tested.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could SAY that I'm superman, but that doesn't mean it's true. I would generally steer clear of something like that on eBay. Just go to Discount Tire bro. At least you won't ever have to worry if your tire is safe or not.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

I've bought plenty of used tires off ebay. No bad experiences to speak of so far. The only problem that I have had is that they sometimes mix and match sets so you could get tires with slightly different levels of wear. Oh and BTW, do not buy the Dunlops mentioned in my sig. People throw them away with 50% tread life for a reason; they sound like 44" TSL Boggers. Well that's an exaggeration but you get the picture...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I've gotten some good deals on used tires and haven't been burned yet. However, they're not always as well inspected as they lead you to believe. I got a tire in, had it mounted and balance and when I went to put in on the car a few weeks later, discovered it was flat. I looked hard and found a nail that they had missed. No bigge, plugged it and it's good, but they missed it, the tire shop missed it, and I had to find it. I'd still buy used again though. I paid like $100 including shipping for 2 tires that cost over $300 each brand new!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Launching!

i got my rears on ebay 3 years ago and they're still running strong. sometimes salvage yards give good deals too. i got 285/35/18 nittos for $20 last year
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

I think there is a group or committee that specializes in this topic

MAUT or mothers against used tires.

why bother, save the pennies or get a paper route, donate some sperm, whatever but I'd buy cheap *** new tires over used any day of the week.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

sorry, im a ***** today
Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

obviously
Old 05-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Teching In

i just bought a set of used 245 40 18 kdw off of ebay with 75 percent tread left for $109 shipped to my door. They havent gotten here yet. Hopefully they will be in desent condition. I will get pic as soon as they get in.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

stop being cheap...its USED TIRES ON EBAY...save your money and do it right
Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Launching!

I've got a set of Kuhmo's on my car I got used for $260 shipped with 8/32's, and some 31's for my dakota for $150 shipped with tons of tread left. Two tires had patches in them, but they were professionally done. Even the place I got them mounted/balanced commented on the good patch job.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends how you go through tires..if you do burnouts alot and kill tires quick then id say buy some off ebay.., if you don't and tend to last long on tires, then buy expensive ones
Old 08-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Teching In

would you buy used condoms?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by joeboulley
would you buy used condoms?
....is that why I've got 8 kids with the 9th on the way?!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

I would treat it just like anything else....do everything short of pawning your own kids to buy new. If not, buy used but take the time to find an auction that is detailed well with good pics. If they aren't detail oriented enough to make an auction look good with quality pics, I wouldn't trust them to inspect my tires. And expect to get burned at some point. It may not happen, but atleast you'll be pleasantly suprised when it doesn't.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

I learned the hard way; bought two separate sets of of Kumho tires from a seller called vyc_bestusedtires. The first set were great, better than described, the rear set were trash. No way could the seller have unloaded them to the public except through ebay. The picture online was a "stock photo". What arrived was a badly cupped and seriously worn from under inflation pair of tires. I sent pictures, called the seller and was told the accountant would need to see if they could make an adjustment. That was the last I heard from them directly. I then filed a dispute with ebay. vyc_bestusedtires turned it into a claim. They know exactly how to manipulate the system. Ebay decided in my favor but with the condition that I send all 4 tires back. Since I didn't trust the seller there was no way I was going to throw good money after bad so I ate the loss. The tires were disposed of and I bought new ones. A used tire seller on ebay can bleed out trash tires slowly and still maintain a very good rating. After all, what's a few claims in hundreds of happy customer transactions. I'll never buy used tires online again. I saved the emails and can supply all the proof of this transaction. My advice to everyone is if they aren't new or you can't actually see the tires don't take the risk.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a used tire that looked perfect, delaminate on my 3rd gen at the top of the track last year. Check the date code on the tires and check for flat spots.
It's an easier choice for a dd that doesn't see high speeds, Ive been using take off wheels/tires for years.

Last edited by TT632; 09-02-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
I learned the hard way; bought two separate sets of of Kumho tires from a seller called vyc_bestusedtires. The first set were great, better than described, the rear set were trash. No way could the seller have unloaded them to the public except through ebay. The picture online was a "stock photo". What arrived was a badly cupped and seriously worn from under inflation pair of tires. I sent pictures, called the seller and was told the accountant would need to see if they could make an adjustment. That was the last I heard from them directly. I then filed a dispute with ebay. vyc_bestusedtires turned it into a claim. They know exactly how to manipulate the system. Ebay decided in my favor but with the condition that I send all 4 tires back. Since I didn't trust the seller there was no way I was going to throw good money after bad so I ate the loss. The tires were disposed of and I bought new ones. A used tire seller on ebay can bleed out trash tires slowly and still maintain a very good rating. After all, what's a few claims in hundreds of happy customer transactions. I'll never buy used tires online again. I saved the emails and can supply all the proof of this transaction. My advice to everyone is if they aren't new or you can't actually see the tires don't take the risk.
Your unfortunate experience is far from typical. I've bought used tires off ebay several times. In most cases, you simply get what you pay for. They're used and they're cheap - as simple as that. If a seller hasn't posted a picture of the actual tire, that's a HUGE red flag right there. I'd never buy from a seller who won't disclose the true condition of the tire. Caveat emptor is a philosophy to swear by if you're buying any used items, especially off ebay.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
i bought tires from the same vendor and one had a leak i had to pay shipping to get another one and that one had a bulge in the sidewall and i had to pay shipping again to get another one.besides that situation the other 8 were great
Old 09-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

There are some good places to buy used tires form on ebay. just read the fine print, try and get a good look at them.

Quick Reply: Used tires from tire companies on Ebay?