Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Painting Wheels On The Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Wheels On The Cheap

I'm thinking of painting my wheels a gunmetal color in a few weeks and would like to do it right, but really can't afford that. I was going to strip them down with some aircraft paint remover and clean them really well with some comet or something like that then paint them with a rattle can. I still have the stockers so I can rock them out for a little while while these are being painted.

Any input on painting wheels or how they would look on my car? I'll be adding chrome or black lug nuts if I go with a darker wheel.

If you painted your wheels let me know how you did it

Thanks in advance
Old 07-29-2008, 05:20 AM
12 Second Club

i painted mine using Duplicolor wheel coating. I dont know if they have a gunmetal color but they have graphite, might be close to what your looking for. I just followed the directions on their website and loved the results. I have gotten loads of compliments on the rims.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-29-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

^^Looks really good man. Did you take the tires off the wheel before you painted them?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Since I have anthracite TTM's, I decided to paint a pair of silver Firebird wheels gunmetal, for use with at the track with drag radials. They turned out real nice. I also have painted a ton of Pontiac Rallye II wheels.

My advice is not to strip off the factory paint if it's in good shape. Just scuff up the clear coat real well. Then lay down a couple of coats of dark gray or black primer and/or primer sealer. Then do your color coats of gunmetal. Finish with clear for a little more gloss and protection if desired.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Since I have anthracite TTM's, I decided to paint a pair of silver Firebird wheels gunmetal, for use with at the track with drag radials. They turned out real nice. I also have painted a ton of Pontiac Rallye II wheels.

My advice is not to strip off the factory paint if it's in good shape. Just scuff up the clear coat real well. Then lay down a couple of coats of dark gray or black primer and/or primer sealer. Then do your color coats of gunmetal. Finish with clear for a little more gloss and protection if desired.
Thanks man, the wheels are kind of scratched up. I guess I could scuff them up and see how they look when they're all done. I have a little curb rash from the previous owner and one of the wheels has a little bend in the lip so its not like they are perfect anyway. I'll probably paint them next weekend or the weekend after and just run the stock wheels when I want to drive it, the tire still have some good burn outs on them
Old 07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Yea I had the tired off before I painted them After the paint was done I took them to a GOOD tire shop and explained to them that the rims were painted and they did a awsome job of mounting them, no scuffs or scratches
Old 07-30-2008, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno about paint but i am a fan of powder coating....but nice job on the can job!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
i dunno about paint but i am a fan of powder coating....but nice job on the can job!
I am too, but the cheapest place around here wants $75 per wheel if I strip them down and clean them all up. For that price I could have a new set of wheels. Thats the only real reason I want to paint them, I'll have less than $30 in materials Sorry, but I'm broke