Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXTRA SPECIAL motor from VIRGINIA SPEED

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...l#post15769709
Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are they a sponsor here? Either way, I'd send a certified letter giving them one last opportunity to fix it...then (hopefully) you paid with a credit card and can get your money back.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBB is your friend
Old 12-26-2011, 08:45 PM

I appreciate the advice, guys. I will look into sending them a certified letter and also contacting the BBB.
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you drove it with black smoke coming out the tailpipe then you were certainly contributing to oil dilution and possible oiling system failures, you may not see separated oil and fuel but if you drove it for 300miles with black smoke from the tailpipe the oil is certainly polluted to a dangerous level.
This is not to pass judgment on who is at fault for other problems.

The plastic piece looks like the end of the oil level switch, without knowing the whole story but from having read this much I would GUESS it got broken when the pan was halfway dropped to change the rear main, or maybe even when you pulled the pan to find this, without going out into the garage and digging one up the rollpin might be from that too, been awhile since I handles one of those though.

If they couldn't tune it you or they should have sent a pcm to a tuner for mailorder work before even picking the car up.
If the tune you had done did not fix the black smoke then you absolutely needed to figure out WHY before driving the car any more, off the top of my head it could have been something like the injectors were much larger than what was programmed for, the fuel pressure regulator could have gone bad and be dumping fuel through the vacuum line, maybe a sensor problem of some sort.

There are certainly a number of problems here but sounds like you contributed to some of them and if you want help from them you are going to have to own up to your mistakes. Had you done that a little sooner you might have found them more accommodating too.

Rear main leaks on an LT1 are very rare, did this build use a 2-piece rear main crank with an adapter?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Village Troll

Received 535 Likes on 387 Posts

I dunno... probably a good idea to keep **** like this off the internet until a settlement can be reached. I've never seen posts like these work out in the customer's favor. I'd suggest taking this down, getting it straightened out by whatever means necessary and then post up your experience if you want to make it public.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was $10000 a typo? Or did you have some kind of forged motor built by them?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, who tuned that $10,000 lump for you since they couldn't do it?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears that someone broke the oil level sending unit by not removing it before attempting to drop the pan. Also, I'm not at all surprised that you have no oil pressure since you have no oil pump drive shaft......unless you're counting the one in the pic.

You can tell those good ole' boys that built your engine that there's no way that shaft can fall out if it was installed properly and nothing broke under the intake manifold. With that much money invested I'd be really tempted to get a mechanic that's familiar with the LT1's to see what could have happened. Keep pictures of the disassembly and the problem.

The oil pump drive shaft looks like this:

And the part that drives it looks like this. The plastic piece that has the bolt hole in it has been known to break. The small end of the drive shaft goes into the gear piece and the big end goes over your oil pump shaft.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Was $10000 a typo? Or did you have some kind of forged motor built by them?
Given shop rates are around $100 an hour and it would appear everything was done by them that sounds about right.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:58 PM

I think they are $150/hr, but I'd have to double check.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by sonnyinva
I think they are $150/hr, but I'd have to double check.
Out of curiosity, what are you hoping to accomplish by posting these threads?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:00 PM

The oil pump drive shaft that is in the pic was on the oil pump when I dropped the pump. I was just showing where the piece of metal was rubbing on the bottom of it.

I can't see your pics. It may be because I am at work. I'll try again when I get home.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Wow sucks to hear about another person getting screwed over from Va Speed, happened to me to when I did H/C/I to my car. I only drove the car like maybe a 1,000 miles before the cam worked itself back and grinded the thrust plate and caused the rest of the motor to have metal flakes causing even more damage. When I took the car back they told me their was no warranty and when they figured out what the problem was they said a torrington bearing would prevent that from happening again yet they wanted to me to pay almost the same amount of money I had just spent to rebuild the motor again, I did a 383 stroker instead and have have never been back to them. I know a lot of people that have had issues with these guys. I could have gotten a way better motor for what I ended wasting at that shop.Good look bro.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Given shop rates are around $100 an hour and it would appear everything was done by them that sounds about right.
Wow, ouch. With the machine shop refreshing heads and checking springs, labor to my motor guy and parts to rebuild it, I was out maybe $1200 for my last rebuild. So it costs $8200 these days to remove and reinstall a motor?

I guess I just thought $10k was an asinine amount unless he was getting a lot of goodies at the same time. Oh well.

Good luck with your problem.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Why would they do dyno runs if they couldnt tune it?

Sounds like a mess. Its a shame it happened but hopefully the damage isnt to extensive.

I started turning my own wrenches after i had a similar speed shop nightmare...Now when something happens, I can only blame myself. Id rather keep my money and break my own ****! Not only that but I get to learn what a freaking rip off a speed shop is. Its pretty bogus when a shop will take your hard earned money and rip apart your car, but they wont back up what they do (also called WARRENTY).

I never got my money back, im sure 00ssog never got his back, and im sure everyone else never got theirs back. It sucks when it happens, and of course, the speed shop is never wrong. The shop that screwed me over I made a large post on their most used forum, of course that post doesnt exist anymore because a moderator worked for said shop...but said shop is also closed now too!

I think of it this way....Have you ever worked on or been left in charge of something that isnt yours? You do not care as much. plain and simple. When i work on my own car, I make sure i do **** right. If i had to work on someone elses car, i might not be as 110% sure after its the 50th car ive worked on, if its mine thought im going to triple check everything!

Since the car isnt your daily driver, I think you shouldve done the work yourself. And if the car is OBD1 you can also start tuning it for under 250$ (free software from Winflash/tunerpro + ALDL to usb cable + wideband)
Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I guess I just thought $10k was an asinine amount unless he was getting a lot of goodies at the same time. Oh well.

Good luck with your problem.
I'm assuming the motor is "built" and not just a stock rebuild.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trilkb
Why would they do dyno runs if they couldnt tune it?

Sounds like a mess. Its a shame it happened but hopefully the damage isnt to extensive.

I started turning my own wrenches after i had a similar speed shop nightmare...Now when something happens, I can only blame myself. Id rather keep my money and break my own ****! Not only that but I get to learn what a freaking rip off a speed shop is. Its pretty bogus when a shop will take your hard earned money and rip apart your car, but they wont back up what they do (also called WARRENTY).

I never got my money back, im sure 00ssog never got his back, and im sure everyone else never got theirs back. It sucks when it happens, and of course, the speed shop is never wrong. The shop that screwed me over I made a large post on their most used forum, of course that post doesnt exist anymore because a moderator worked for said shop...but said shop is also closed now too!

I think of it this way....Have you ever worked on or been left in charge of something that isnt yours? You do not care as much. plain and simple. When i work on my own car, I make sure i do **** right. If i had to work on someone elses car, i might not be as 110% sure after its the 50th car ive worked on, if its mine thought im going to triple check everything!

Since the car isnt your daily driver, I think you shouldve done the work yourself. And if the car is OBD1 you can also start tuning it for under 250$ (free software from Winflash/tunerpro + ALDL to usb cable + wideband)
Agreed, I don't trust to many people with my projects, proly the reason I learned how to do body work, rebuild 4L60E's, weld, own a plasma torch...... you get the hint
Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned

I just want to say how shitty it is to hear this man... this is why I never trust a shop with my car. God forbid you have a problem, it can always be argued that it's not their fault, you were beating on it, blah blah blah. They can play any angle they want. Basically as soon as the car leaves the shop it is your problem now. If the car wasn't right, you should have never let it leave the shop.

It doesn't matter how whack the tune is, never should the car be consuming or leaking oil. I would really find it hard to believe that the car would be spitting raw fuel from not being tuned either. Something was wrong.

Again, I'm really sorry this is happening to you. It sucks that businesses today are so cut throat that they would leave their customers high and dry like this. $10,000, if that really is what you payed which is CRAZY!, should get you some DAMN good customer service. They should take care of you. What's the worst that can happen? All they have to do is have one of their guys spent the time and tear down the engine to see what's wrong. Which at cost to the shop is what, $20 an hour to pay the guy? Even if they covered the damaged parts they made 10 GRAND off you. At this point I'm sure you would even be happy to just have them fix the damn thing and you would pay for the parts just to be done with it.

Good luck man.. contact your credit card company immediately and give the BBB a call. Do everything you can to cover your ***.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

And yeah why the hell would they be doing full throttle dyno runs with the car if it's not tuned? They could have SERIOUSLY screwed some things up right there... I'm no expert but when my motor was built there is no way I would have went full throttle without having a base tune. Even with the base tune I got done to fire the car for the first time, the car ran OK at best. Definitely wouldn't be going full throttle...

Quick Reply: EXTRA SPECIAL motor from VIRGINIA SPEED