Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary AIR system removal help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Secondary AIR system removal help

What exactly needs to be done. i understand that theres the solenoid and the secondary pump but what about the thin vacuum lines? can i remove the hole entire solenoid and even the part where theres the electric plug right next to it? if i have the intake manifold off should i just take out the small secondary pump and plug up the hole on the back of the intake manifold? any help or links to a good system removal would be great, thanks.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes remove the whole solenoid and just put a vacumn cap on the port off of the intake manifold.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Teching In

can you remove the electrical switch that's next to the round black pump and tape off the switch?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the whole system out pump, lines,everything. I plugged the vacuum line barbs with rubber caps and put a tywrap around the cap for added insurance to prevent air leaks. I think I also had it tuned out of the system.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:16 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The most helpful thread for me was this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...air-tubes.html
However, you're right -- no one ever really mentions what's actually going on behind the intake. While many mention just taking the vacuum line out and plugging it, they're never mentioning the yanking all of the vacuum stuff off the back of the intake will not only remove the AIR stuff, but also the vacuum lines required to operate the HVAC circulation door.

So, what does this mean? Once you get back to the "T" fitting, you'll only want to remove the vacuum piece on the top (the line that comes from the AIR system). I simply used the vacuum cap assortment from Motormite (their "Help" brand) that can be found at any parts store to plug that top part. Nothing else was touched on/behind the intake
Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
The most helpful thread for me was this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...air-tubes.html
However, you're right -- no one ever really mentions what's actually going on behind the intake. While many mention just taking the vacuum line out and plugging it, they're never mentioning the yanking all of the vacuum stuff off the back of the intake will not only remove the AIR stuff, but also the vacuum lines required to operate the HVAC circulation door.

So, what does this mean? Once you get back to the "T" fitting, you'll only want to remove the vacuum piece on the top (the line that comes from the AIR system). I simply used the vacuum cap assortment from Motormite (their "Help" brand) that can be found at any parts store to plug that top part. Nothing else was touched on/behind the intake
thankyou demonspeed for the in depth reply much help there I will be able to finish it now. do you know what size vacuum plug you used?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:26 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by afed24
do you know what size vacuum plug you used?
No, I just tried a what I thought "looked" correct until I found one that fit perfect.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Teching In

No, I just tried a what I thought "looked" correct until I found one that fit perfect.
alright thanks
Old 01-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
I took the whole system out pump, lines,everything. I plugged the vacuum line barbs with rubber caps and put a tywrap around the cap for added insurance to prevent air leaks. I think I also had it tuned out of the system.
yeah that's what I want to do but wanted to make sure I can. I will be getting it tuned out also. did you take out the electrical plug switch that controls the secondary pump aswell?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's been a while I don't remember if it was on the intake I want to say yes. because I taped the end of plug and laced it back into wiring harness. I'm an electrician so I don't CUT anything but try to hide it all. just in case. that's why I tell everybody check your grounds first when troubleshooting electrical problems.. the oldman...
Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

FYI, I did not cut out the connector to the AIR system, either. I just put some electrical tape over it and tucked it out of the way. I figure it's best to keep everything there should there ever be a need to put things back together (as unlikely as that is).
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
it's been a while I don't remember if it was on the intake I want to say yes. because I taped the end of plug and laced it back into wiring harness. I'm an electrician so I don't CUT anything but try to hide it all. just in case. that's why I tell everybody check your grounds first when troubleshooting electrical problems.. the oldman...
thanks for the reply and yeah I definitely wouldn't cut anything but just tape it. do you know if it's possible if it's the one on the drivers side of the intake manifold?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Teching In

FYI, I did not cut out the connector to the AIR system, either. I just put some electrical tape over it and tucked it out of the way. I figure it's best to keep everything there should there ever be a need to put things back together (as unlikely as that is).
yeah that makes sense. I wouldn't cut anything either. did you remove the electric plug on the drivers side of the intake manifold?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Teching In

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/jb...9b946.jpg.html

anyone know exactly what to do with this plug? leave it plugged in or unplug it and tape it??
Old 01-12-2014, 03:17 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Yeah, just unplug it and forget about it.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Yeah, just unplug it and forget about it.
ok thanks

Quick Reply: Secondary AIR system removal help